You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Album Ever - Group N (Vote for your top 2)

Bjornebye

Greatest Album Ever - Group N (Vote for your top 2)  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Album Ever - Group N (Vote for your top 2)

• Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
    • Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    • CSNY - Deja Vu
    • Oasis - Definitely Maybe

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/02/21 at 08:49

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Well, if you don't like them then you probably don't think it's a great album.

True, although objectively I’d like to think I can recognise that greatness probably does exist, even where it’s not a personal preference. 

I don’t much care for William Shakespeare. 

Just now, YorkshireRed said:

True, although objectively I’d like to think I can recognise that greatness probably does exist, even where it’s not a personal preference. 

Yes, I suppose I agree. Not sure I'd quite stretch that to Oasis, but again that's subjective as well.

Shakespeare was a fucking boring cunt and his plays have ensured that the vast majority of people have absolutely no interest in theatre.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Shakespeare was a fucking boring cunt and his plays have ensured that the vast majority of people have absolutely no interest in theatre.

Perhaps.

It was the way he used the English language - inventing things like puns and coining so many phrases that resonated and endured in popular culture - was his interesting bit, rather than his subject matter and content.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Fuckin hell, that's a stretch, equating Shakespeare with the bard of Burnage!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, skaro said:

Perhaps.

It was the way he used the English language - inventing things like puns and coining so many phrases that resonated and endured in popular culture - was his interesting bit, rather than his subject matter and content.

Do you think it's a good idea to get 11 year olds to read The Tempest?

I didn't read a single word of Dickens, Hardy, Trollope, Gaskell, Conrad, Woolf, Orwell, Poe, Twain, etc in school. And obviously none of the great Russian or French authors, nor anything from another continent. Not a fucking word. But every year we ploughed through a Shakespeare play. 

Hopefully it's different now.

11 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I didn't read a single word of Dickens, Hardy, Trollope, Gaskell, Conrad, Woolf, Orwell, Poe, Twain, etc in school. And obviously none of the great Russian or French authors, nor anything from another continent. Not a fucking word. But every year we ploughed through a Shakespeare play. 

Did you not pay attention in school as all of them were/are on the syllabus in state schools.

'To kill a Mockingbird' was also core.

Assuming we're of similar ages.

13 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

As I said, I thought his language per se was much more interesting than his actual works.

From a storytelling, engagement point of view, I for example found Dickens, and something like Orwell's Animal Farm infinitely more interesting.

And yes, I think Shakespeare was needlessly and ridiculously over-analysed and over-studied.

He was as much into a good dick joke as he was anything deep and meaningful that's for sure.  (A bit like John Donne's "The Sun Rising" was essentially about a bloke being pissed off that dawn had arrived and his night of rabid shagging was over).

Shakespeare was much, much more populist than any academic would dare to admit.

2 minutes ago, skaro said:

As I said, I thought his language per se was much more interesting than his actual works.

From a storytelling, engagement point of view, I for example found Dickens, and something like Orwell's Animal Farm infinitely more interesting.

And yes, I think Shakespeare was needlessly and ridiculously over-analysed and over-studied.

He was as much into a good dick joke as he was anything deep and meaningful that's for sure.

He was much, much more populist than any academic would dare to admit.

Not helped by the selection of plays. If you teach one a year you can only pick about five. He wrote almost 40, perhaps swerve the ones that are a hard slog.

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

Not helped by the selection of plays. If you teach one a year you can only pick about five. He wrote almost 40, perhaps swerve the ones that are a hard slog.

Macbeth, Julius Caesar, The Merchant of Venice, Antony and Cleopatra, throw in Hamlet (which I never studied) and there's Shakespeare more than covered for me.

Just now, skaro said:

Macbeth, Julius Caesar, The Merchant of Venice, Antony and Cleopatra, throw in Hamlet (which I never studied) and there's Shakespeare more than covered for me.

Yeah, I think the Merchant of Venice was a good choice in schools. No idea if they still do it. Hopefully they teach plays written by other people now as well.

23 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

That's everyone who went to your school when you did in the group marked "the vast majority of people".  Now, where should we put everyone else in the world who has been to a theatre in the last 500 years?

2 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

That's everyone who went to your school when you did in the group marked "the vast majority of people".  Now, where should we put everyone else in the world who has been to a theatre in the last 500 years?

This may come as an enormous surprise, but my post wasn't entirely serious nor was it intended to be statistically accurate.