You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sheffield Utd (A) PL - Sun 28th Feb 2021 at 19:15

TheDrowningMan

On 20/02/2021 at 20:42, El Rojo said:

Given our run of form, I can’t think of a bleaker fixture than this on a Sunday evening in the middle of a global pandemic. 

They’ve been awful this season, but I saw nothing today to suggest that they won’t comfortably beat us. 

This. 

I like Sheffield utd but I can't see us beating them, we're soft as shite atm. 

Last season in this fixture we were utter garbage and yet you just knew we’d find a way to win and we did, rather luckily but that’s what this team did  
Now even if we are half decent I’d still doubt us to get a result .

Utd are a championship side in waiting so start with Davis and Phillips

I agree that we should  play the two Championship level 24-25  year old centre halves who can at least handle their physicality . Play deeper than normal so we're not caught out on speed, which you can do if you play a 4-2-3-1 as you can have Bobby ( or Shaq) as the number 10 linking the midfield to the attack.

Play Fab and Thiago as holding players to protect the defence, allowing the full backs to push on, and setting the tempo.

Play Mo up front off the shoulder off the last defender and Sadio on the right so he can get to the byline and around the tight defence.  This is how City beat 10 man defences.

In other words, we need to try something different for games when teams will pack their defences.  Still play the high line  counter pressing 4-3-3 in Europe against the better teams as we remain the best at this , but this has been found out in the ultra defensive Premier League .

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JoeBuck01 said:

I agree that we should  play the two Championship level 24-25  year old centre halves who can at least handle their physicality . Play deeper than normal so we're not caught out on speed, which you can do if you play a 4-2-3-1 as you can have Bobby ( or Shaq) as the number 10 linking the midfield to the attack.

Play Fab and Thiago as holding players to protect the defence, allowing the full backs to push on, and setting the tempo.

Play Mo up front off the shoulder off the last defender and Sadio on the right so he can get to the byline and around the tight defence.  This is how City beat 10 man defences.

In other words, we need to try something different for games when teams will pack their defences.  Still play the high line  counter pressing 4-3-3 in Europe against the better teams as we remain the best at this , but this has been found out in the ultra defensive Premier League .

This is an excellent post.

15 hours ago, JoeBuck01 said:

This is a good idea, but if we don't give Salah early balls in behind their 10-man defence (before they've retreated to their own six yard line) then it's basically pointless.

I'd be tempted to try Thiago as the number ten as well, because if we play Bobby there he'd probably link our midfield to Sheffield Utd's attack.

• Upvote 2

I'd take a 0-0 from this with two genuine centrebacks starting (with a third coming on as a sub if necessary), resulting in  the goalkeeper and said centrebacks patting each other on the back with a confidence building clean sheet.

On 23/02/2021 at 09:44, magicrat said:

I think we should play a wheelchair 11 and inject a bit of pace into our game . 

I remember a mate of mine telling me that he bunked into Coventry back in the 70s or 80s and ended up in their disabled section with a mate of his. Said this middle aged Coventry fella in a wheelchair clocked him straight away bunking in and told him to sit down beside him before he got thrown out.

Was telling me the bloke was hillarious giving serious abuse to the Coventry players and roaring to the manager that he could do a better job than their winger. Said winger looked around and the fan pointed at his wheelchair and gave him the wanker sign.

For some reason I just thought of that story when I saw this post.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I remember a mate of mine telling me that he bunked into Coventry back in the 70s or 80s and ended up in their disabled section with a mate of his. Said this middle aged Coventry fella in a wheelchair clocked him straight away bunking in and told him to sit down beside him before he got thrown out.

Was telling me the bloke was hillarious giving serious abuse to the Coventry players and roaring to the manager that he could do a better job than their winger. Said winger looked around and the fan pointed at his wheelchair and gave him the wanker sign.

For some reason I just thought of that story when I saw this post.

And your post reminded me of this

On 25/02/2021 at 03:45, niallers said:

Is kelleher fit? With Alison surely going back home for his dad's funeral, we'll be needing the young whipper snapper to play in goals for the next 3 weeks. Can't be fucking doing watching Adrian anymore. 

One of the few positives of this season is seeing Kelleher become a decent back up who doesnt do brain dead stuff like Adrian so we arent forced to play him anymore.

Adrian should never have been at the club to start with.

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

One of the few positives of this season is seeing Kelleher become a decent back up who doesnt do brain dead stuff like Adrian so we arent forced to play him anymore.

Adrian should never have been at the club to start with.

Adrian did well last season when he first deputised for Alisson. People were swinging their dicks about him .

Of course he did have the benefit of a full strength back four but he's a bang average keeper as we have seen since then. Kelleher does look like he's going to be very good I agree.

• Upvote 1