You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is There a Fitness Thread?

Champ

Rode my bike to work today for the first time.

Absolutely dreadful. Only 7 miles but for an out-of-shape lardarse like myself it was a serious chore. Almost threw up when I arrived!

Hoping to do it once a week at least. I may get a ride off someone on the way home and leave the bike at the office, and then ride it home later in the week, that way I'm not trying to do 14 miles in a day.

Can't believe there are people who do 30-mile commutes daily.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I helped crowdfund the OYO personal gym on kickstarter. Its a small device that lets you do loads of different strength exercises. 

Well worth a look. 

I've always just assumed that those kind of devices were a bit of a gimmick, but happily admin I know fuck all about them. How long have you ben using them. What are the pros/cons?

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

I've always just assumed that those kind of devices were a bit of a gimmick, but happily admin I know fuck all about them. How long have you ben using them. What are the pros/cons?

Well:

Pros - It quite small and compact - that is actually my favourite thing about it. You get a lot of workout at a cost of very little space

The load is very adjustable using a clever mechanism of adding and removing resistance

You can do a fairly wide variety of exercises

Cons - Fairly expensive

For all its claims of space age technology its a pretty basic bit of kit

I've been using when watching Liverpool games which means that I have been able to strengthen my triceps, my pecs and my lats, while simultaneously strengthening my emotional resilience, ability to put things in perspective and general ability to not throw things at the TV. 

37 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I've been using when watching Liverpool games which means that I have been able to strengthen my triceps, my pecs and my lats, while simultaneously strengthening my emotional resilience, ability to put things in perspective and general ability to not throw things at the TV. 

That's where it being expensive turns into a pro, really.

Walking.

I hate running even when I was young and fairly fit. I don’t even run for the bus. Still

don’t, mainly because I drive the fucking thing. (Greatest job perk is watching people in winter run for the bus and inevitably tumble on the snow/icey sidewalk and then either pop back up right away and continue running and arms flailing and waving or just give up.) 

Last year was just over 20st (6ft tall) and had a

doc appointment and he did blood work and it turned out everything was elevated- cholesterol,

ferritin, triglycerides, A1C, ALTs, and then he did a blood pressure and the bottom number was 105/110 so I said I guess I need to go to the gym (this was 3 months shy of lockdowns) and he said ‘under no circumstances do you do any strenuous exercise with that blood panel and high BP’. 

So I changed diet, and started walking everywhere. Averaged 5 miles a day. At first a 2 mile walk and was fucked. Old ladies would pass me. Eventually the walks turned into brisk walks. In 14 months lost 4st. One of the biggest things was changing work schedule to evening shift from early morning so get a proper 7-8 hours sleep now and wake up naturally. I did join a gym in summer but just to do weights but then they closed due to lockdown. 

Save loads of money on petrol and does improve mental health. And even more surprising women tend to want to bang less fat blokes more....which in itself helps burn calories.  

As well all blood work is now normal with the exception of ferritin but the hepatologist says that is due to fatty liver which will eventually reverse or hemochromatosis which he ordered a test for. Still take a tablet for BP but at one point was on three. 

I loved cycling when younger but where I live its

not  a year round option. 

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

Walking.

I hate running even when I was young and fairly fit. I don’t even run for the bus. Still

don’t, mainly because I drive the fucking thing. (Greatest job perk is watching people in winter run for the bus and inevitably tumble on the snow/icey sidewalk and then either pop back up right away and continue running and arms flailing and waving or just give up.) 

Last year was just over 20st (6ft tall) and had a

doc appointment and he did blood work and it turned out everything was elevated- cholesterol,

ferritin, triglycerides, A1C, ALTs, and then he did a blood pressure and the bottom number was 105/110 so I said I guess I need to go to the gym (this was 3 months shy of lockdowns) and he said ‘under no circumstances do you do any strenuous exercise with that blood panel and high BP’. 

So I changed diet, and started walking everywhere. Averaged 5 miles a day. At first a 2 mile walk and was fucked. Old ladies would pass me. Eventually the walks turned into brisk walks. In 14 months lost 4st. One of the biggest things was changing work schedule to evening shift from early morning so get a proper 7-8 hours sleep now and wake up naturally. I did join a gym in summer but just to do weights but then they closed due to lockdown. 

Save loads of money on petrol and does improve mental health. And even more surprising women tend to want to bang less fat blokes more....which in itself helps burn calories.  

As well all blood work is now normal with the exception of ferritin but the hepatologist says that is due to fatty liver which will eventually reverse or hemochromatosis which he ordered a test for. Still take a tablet for BP but at one point was on three. 

I loved cycling when younger but where I live its

not  a year round option. 

Bet you wait until you see your potential passengers in the rear view mirror and then pull away, don't you?

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2021 at 14:19, Champ said:

If there is I couldn’t find one. That said, the only reason I was looking for it was to rail about how unfit I am.

What a combination of lockdown and bad weather. I’ve done plenty of walking recently but knew it was hardly challenging. Anyway, the stars aligned this morning and I decided I’d get my bike out for the first time in months. Oh my god, it was worse than I thought. Small inclines that I’d normally get up without thinking and I was really toiling. I was glad I’d done it when I got back but I’m appalled at myself.

This, my friends, is a line in the sand. The road back to fitness starts here

Oh, my god, guess what, the effort pays off! 
I’ve just done the same ride again this morning and I’m not quite sailing yet but after a few rides I’ve just cut more than 2 minutes off the time it took me to wheeze up the hill that nearly claimed me just 2 weeks ago. I’m back home drinking coffee in the sun thinking life ain’t so bad

My garage "gym" - basically a squat rack, barbell, adjustable bench and exercise bike. But it'll do for me.

I need to get some flooring sorted, and I'd quite like a punch bag though have never used one. Might eventually get some dumbbells I'll keep my eye out for used or on sale once lockdown is finished as I need to pay these off.

I finally got round to having my first workout the other day and it was amazing not having to drive to the gym, queue up, wait for people to finish with equipment etc.

I'll be training three times a week, plus 2/3 times a week on the bike. I also like to get 8000 steps in (fuck 10,000) but usually manage that without any great effort just going about my day. 

There's also a children's Wendy house if I need some extra shelter or a lie down.

IMG20210212144221.jpg

IMG20210212144206.jpg

• Upvote 4

Also, got diagnosed with high cholesterol in January which has been a kick in the balls and has meant a bit of tuning up of the old diet. Seems to be hereditary and runs in the family but that doesn't help me really when I want a Gregg's steak pasty and a Bavarian Slice. And a pint.