You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is There a Fitness Thread?

Champ

2 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

You can't do wrong with wireless headphones and a Bill Bryson audiobook (A Walk in the Woods is my favourite). 

I'd do more but I might start to get knee problems. 

Maybe I'll increase it in the future. 

Yes , I have various things on the tablet or mp3 player to get me through ( worked my way through two series of 'The Boys ' in half hour chunks ) but was hoping to be enjoying it by now , but not happened.

Any good youtube/web pages for getting started. Need to get the weight off and I want to sort my balance and strength out. Never properly sorted out certain muscle groups after being sick. Fine in everyday life but lifting arms out sideways I struggle with weight. Want everything in place for when gyms reopen

11 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You are in Australia arent you? Over here at the moment you will either get piss wet through with rain or thrown around like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz during a tornado. Those crisp,cold,clear days very rarely happen much. They are ideal for walking.

Yes.

Autumn is perhaps nicest for walking, but I love walking in winter too.

Spring (hayfever) and summer much less so.

I have never driven a car, so have walked between 0.5 and 2 hours a day most days of my life since 18.

Fuck knows how I'd be without walking.

Dead most probably.

Perhaps my hip will give way before my heart.

A very simple trick I use on a treadmill is I increase/decrease the pace every minute or two minutes. Whilst you are still clock watching, mentally because you reach an objective every two minutes it seems to break it up more.

I also find running quicker helps as you are focused on pace and control as opposed to just clock watching. 

• Upvote 3

I have also found the last few weeks, only reason I can think is the weather, but legs feel a lot stiffer than normal, before and during the runs. 

I either need to walk further before starting or jog the first few km very slowly to get everything going. If I don't I seem to be stiffer the next day and it goes downwards.

1 minute ago, Scooby Dudek said:

A very simple trick I use on a treadmill is I increase/decrease the pace every minute or two minutes. Whilst you are still clock watching, mentally because you reach an objective every two minutes it seems to break it up more.

I also find running quicker helps as you are focused on pace and control as opposed to just clock watching. 

The treadmill I have has 30-odd set routines. I haven't taken much notice of them but might have to , Scooby, to ease the boredom.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I still can't walk properly after going on the treadmill must be 2 or 3 weeks now.

There are two opposing views on treadmill running.

1 they are better than running outside because you have cushioning and hence less impact on joints than outside

2 they are worse than running outside because your front foot lads and is immediately pushed backwards, which is not natural, so actually effects different muscles when running.

I believe point 2 but the thing when going from outside to treadmill or vice versa is to go gradually. After a few weeks of treadmill running, going outside would cause me issues, so would always start with an easy cut back, slow week when I changed.

I accept this is late and will not help you.

As an aside, for information.

I work(ed) in Merchant Navy, and for long periods had no choice but to run an a treadmill.

When I first got back into running, approx 12 years ago, I knew I was going to be on the vessel for 9 weeks with virtually no chance of running outside. Being naturally lazy, I entered a marathon for 2 weeks after I returned home, knowing this would force me to train on the treadmill, 5 times a week rather than find excuses.

I hate treadmill running, but have done lots, including a few 20 milers. I find the slow, short recovery runs the hardest, as the mind is active but the body is not challenged and you are always nearly finished. 

When I would run for 3 hours, or more, the first and last 30 minutes were always the worst, with middle 2 hours easy as I would zone out. 

Every year since, due to vessel schedule, i.e. crossing the Atlantic, I have had periods where running off the ship is not an option. 

4 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

As an aside, for information.

I work(ed) in Merchant Navy, and for long periods had no choice but to run an a treadmill.

When I first got back into running, approx 12 years ago, I knew I was going to be on the vessel for 9 weeks with virtually no chance of running outside. Being naturally lazy, I entered a marathon for 2 weeks after I returned home, knowing this would force me to train on the treadmill, 5 times a week rather than find excuses.

I hate treadmill running, but have done lots, including a few 20 milers. I find the slow, short recovery runs the hardest, as the mind is active but the body is not challenged and you are always nearly finished. 

When I would run for 3 hours, or more, the first and last 30 minutes were always the worst, with middle 2 hours easy as I would zone out. 

Every year since, due to vessel schedule, i.e. crossing the Atlantic, I have had periods where running off the ship is not an option. 

I never did 3 hour runs on my treadmill, but always found the same. When i got the first 20 mins out the way it was just autopilot and listening to my songs. It was always at this point that i thought i could become a runner, until i noticed i was only on 12k an hour and wasnt in fact Mo Farah.

On 22/02/2021 at 18:26, sir roger said:

Similar to me , Jordy , I do 30 mins on 7.5kph , so it comes out at about 3.7k

Could probably take it to 5k at that speed, but to be honest I am a bit bored already at 30 mins.

Do you ever run outside? The time goes by much quicker

5 minutes ago, Champ said:

Do you ever run outside? The time goes by much quicker

To be fair I have never liked running since I was a kid , whether indoor or outdoor , but I do like the difference it makes for me health wise. Judging by Johnson's comments yesterday and the weather picking up , can probably intersperse it with getting the bikes out in the medium term.

Fair play to all you guys running on the treadmill. I just can't do it. 10 minutes feels like an hour.

I got myself fitter during the lockdown than I've been at any stage in the last 8 years. I dropped over two stone.

I'm doing 3 home workouts a week, along with running 2 or 3 days a week. I've gotten my 5k time down to 23:30 and my 10k time just under 49 mins.

Running alone got me fit, but I've gotten a lot fitter since I've added the workouts. I do a bit of everything, HIIT, cardio, weights, Kettlebells. Hopefully with the weather picking up, I can add in a cycle at the weekends too.

Great idea for a thread this. Brilliant to read about everyones progress.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Are you looking to sign up with MTK , Byrnie ?

Haha, no. 

I've seen they've just announced that they're going into f**tb**l management now. If they can get a 36 year old, past-it Irishman a game at Liverpool, I'd sign for the scumbags. 

• Upvote 1

On 20/02/2021 at 20:01, johnsusername said:

I've put together a gym in my garage and start tomorrow.

There's my 20kg Olympic barbell, squat rack, pull up bar, adjustable bench, 100kg of plates, and an exercise bike.

I've had post-Covid chest problems but they seem to be getting better and I'm hoping regular training will get me even further along the road. 

I've lost almost a stone since Christmas (14.8 to 13.9 stone at 6 foot). Ive been weightlifting for the last 3-ish years and to lose the gym for basically a year was a hammer blow. I took up swimming but then they closed the pools as well!

Anyway, onwards and upwards! 

Can you sneak into a football stadium?