You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is There a Fitness Thread?

Champ

I've put together a gym in my garage and start tomorrow.

There's my 20kg Olympic barbell, squat rack, pull up bar, adjustable bench, 100kg of plates, and an exercise bike.

I've had post-Covid chest problems but they seem to be getting better and I'm hoping regular training will get me even further along the road. 

I've lost almost a stone since Christmas (14.8 to 13.9 stone at 6 foot). Ive been weightlifting for the last 3-ish years and to lose the gym for basically a year was a hammer blow. I took up swimming but then they closed the pools as well!

Anyway, onwards and upwards! 

3 hours ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

I’m doing 20 minutes a day on the peloton. Got a massive crush on my instructor so that helps. The bikes cost about £50 a month to buy on 0% finance. Really worth it. 

Isn't there a monthly fee and having to buy a bike that's a couple of grand? 

I was jogging for about two months but fucked my neck up before Christmas due to posture working from home and haven't done it since, I fucking hate it though, I honestly don't understand how people actually enjoy it.

It's amazing how not even getting basic exercise due to lockdown fucks you up, my feet and arms are sore now the day after we've been to the shops.

I started a healthy eating program on 4th Jan when I went back to work as my weight was ridiculous. 23st 6.5lbs. Constantly felt tired and with heart disease in my family I decided it's time. Upto now with healthy eating and walking 2+ miles in the evenings, I've managed to shift 1st 3.5lbs. Still a long way to go but I can't wait to get back in the gym, lose more, get my hernia repaired and get back into martial arts.

Back in 2018 I started at a gym when I was tipping the scales at 22st 7lbs and got down to 20st before I fucked my knee. Downward spiral.

It's good to read what others are doing/achieving. Good luck to you all.

• Upvote 10

I do big walks most Sundays. About 15 miles at the moment and more as the days get lighter. Done the Ridgeway and about 50 miles of the Thames Path. Aim to finish that this Summer if Lockdown eases then it'll be the South Downs Way and the Cotswolds Path 

Walking is really excellent for the mental health

On 20/02/2021 at 21:33, Section_31 said:

I was jogging for about two months but fucked my neck up before Christmas due to posture working from home and haven't done it since, I fucking hate it though, I honestly don't understand how people actually enjoy it.

It's amazing how not even getting basic exercise due to lockdown fucks you up, my feet and arms are sore now the day after we've been to the shops.

I did the same but twisted my ankle and stopped around early mid December. Started again last week and expected it to be an absolute slog but it realy wasn't too bad. Having said that i'm only staggering (i don't see it as actual running) for 3km and doing it in 3 x 5 minute runs interspersed with 3 x 3 minute brisk walk cooldowns. Just download the couch to 5k app and get Jo Whiley whispering to you when its time to take it easy for a bit. That part is not bad at all.  

On 20/02/2021 at 18:17, Karl_b said:

I get out for at least an hour a day to walk the dog, eat healthily enough and have barely touched alcohol in the last year (and none in at least 3 months) but whilst not fat I am unfit. We went for a walk on the Moors yesterday and there were some substantial hills and heavy ground and I could tell I was out of shape. 

I need to start cycling again and am desperate to start some sort of team/social sport when possible, either 5-a-side or squash. Two years ago I was fit enough to do the Yorkshire 3 Peaks walk whereas now I don't think I'd get over the first one!

5 a side squash would live up to its name!

On 20/02/2021 at 22:58, Aventus said:

Mainly riding it.

Funny man. I meant what kind of cycling do you want to do? Off road stuff, pottering around with the kids or getting some road miles in? Horses for courses mister 

• Upvote 1

Ride 2. I was out walking yesterday but that doesn’t count.

After the agony of my pathetic ride on Saturday I almost went out and did it again I was so annoyed but decided to leave it until today. I was really surprised. It was so much easier than I was expecting and enjoyed most of it. If I can get back into a routine of getting out at least once a week and gradually extending what I’m doing this may not be so bad after all.

Of course I’ll now have to buy a new top or something as further incentive!

1 hour ago, Champ said:

Funny man. I meant what kind of cycling do you want to do? Off road stuff, pottering around with the kids or getting some road miles in? Horses for courses mister 

Sorry I couldn't help myself haha. 

Mainly for riding to work I suppose, but I have a canal near mine that I fancy having a few rides up and down so I'll probably need something a bit more rugged than a strictly road bike. 

17 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Mainly for riding to work I suppose, but I have a canal near mine that I fancy having a few rides up and down so I'll probably need something a bit more rugged than a strictly road bike. 

A pedalo maybe?

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Aventus said:

If you’re just getting started (again) I’d recommend going to a decent sized bike shop and see what they have available/recommend. 

Do you have access to a bike to work scheme?

5 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I do 25 minute sessions on setting 7.4 on the treadmill which comes out to about 3km (or miles, not sure). I'm not sure if I'm under doing it or over doing it. 

Similar to me , Jordy , I do 30 mins on 7.5kph , so it comes out at about 3.7k

Could probably take it to 5k at that speed, but to be honest I am a bit bored already at 30 mins.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

Similar to me , Jordy , I do 30 mins on 7.5kph , so it comes out at about 3.7k

Could probably take it to 5k at that speed, but to be honest I am a bit bored already at 30 mins.

You can't do wrong with wireless headphones and a Bill Bryson audiobook (A Walk in the Woods is my favourite). 

I'd do more but I might start to get knee problems. 

Maybe I'll increase it in the future.