You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is There a Fitness Thread?

Champ

If there is I couldn’t find one. That said, the only reason I was looking for it was to rail about how unfit I am.

What a combination of lockdown and bad weather. I’ve done plenty of walking recently but knew it was hardly challenging. Anyway, the stars aligned this morning and I decided I’d get my bike out for the first time in months. Oh my god, it was worse than I thought. Small inclines that I’d normally get up without thinking and I was really toiling. I was glad I’d done it when I got back but I’m appalled at myself.

This, my friends, is a line in the sand. The road back to fitness starts here

• Upvote 8

I've been jogging a mile a day (Mon-Friday) on my break since April but have noticed it start to get harder recently for some reason. I'm going to start playing tennis in the next few weeks too so if I suddenly stop posting, I'm probably dead.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mook said:

I've been jogging a mile a day (Mon-Friday) on my break since April but have noticed it start to get harder recently for some reason. I'm going to start playing tennis in the next few weeks too so if I suddenly stop posting, I'm probably dead.

What sort of harder? I’m intrigued

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

It's hard to run a mile a day with so much stuff shoved up your arse. Introducing tennis means you're going to have new balls shoved up your arse too.

4 minutes ago, Champ said:

What sort of harder? I’m intrigued

My legs & guts are hurting & I'm more out of breath when I get home. It's possible I'm just running a bit faster as I've not been timing it.

Might also be a mental thing as I've been getting a bit bored with doing it & the lazy bastard part of me (about 97%) wants to pack it in.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

My legs & guts are hurting & I'm more out of breath when I get home. It's possible I'm just running a bit faster as I've not been timing it.

How can you not have timed it?!?!

If it’s not timed it didn’t happen in my book.

It sounds counterintuitive but maybe you need to start running a bit further 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Champ said:

How can you not have timed it?!?!

If it’s not timed it didn’t happen in my book.

It sounds counterintuitive but maybe you need to start running a bit further 

I know it takes me about 7-8 minutes.

I'm doing overtime at work just now but once I go back to hour breaks, I'll go a longer route.

39 minutes ago, Champ said:

If there is I couldn’t find one. That said, the only reason I was looking for it was to rail about how unfit I am.

What a combination of lockdown and bad weather. I’ve done plenty of walking recently but knew it was hardly challenging. Anyway, the stars aligned this morning and I decided I’d get my bike out for the first time in months. Oh my god, it was worse than I thought. Small inclines that I’d normally get up without thinking and I was really toiling. I was glad I’d done it when I got back but I’m appalled at myself.

Just now, Champ said:

Now, that is a good effort 

It surprised me.

Last summer I was regularly running about 20/25km a week split into three runs. One fairly long run of 10-12km and two shorter. But for the last six months I've probably only run about six or seven times. Yesterday I felt fucked after about 2km and it was only sheer bloody mindedness that prevented me from giving up. I gradually felt better and better and only stopped when I could feel that my knees were going to be really bad the next day if I went much further.

It's something often said, but it's true that going for a long run or bike ride, or gym workout I guess, really does help a lot mentally. I felt ace for the rest of the day, and motivated to do a lot more.

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Champ said:

You sound like you're already streets ahead of me.  I had a brisk 5-minute walk to the railway station* the other day and I was blowing for tugs.  Really not good at all.  I used to run half-marathons!

(*Just to clarify, I don't live in Tuebrook any more.  Anyone who can get from Tuebrook to a railway station in 5 minutes has earned the right to be knackered.)

54 minutes ago, Mook said:

I used to play tennis quite regularly. Singles is absolutely gruelling. Doubles not so much.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Champ said:

I don’t think I’m that fat...just not cardio fit.

This is a thread to discuss activity not fad diets.

Edit. I thought I’d quoted you there, Herp.

Champ you're tiny 

12 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Been hammering the Nintendo ring fit. Great work out, 400kcal at a time sometimes. 

tumblr_p4gam3F2uh1qjztgpo5_400.gifv

I've been alternating 1/2 hour rowing with 45-50 minute kettlebell classes- my missus used to teach them before lockdown so we've got the routines on her tablet; it's not bad doing them in the front room while watching The Office on Netflix. I'm getting reasonably fit and I've dropped over a stone since the New Year though the exercise and no booze (I'll be 50 days dry on Monday *sob*).

I still need to shift another stone really, but I'm going to give it a couple of weeks till the weather improves a bit and start the running again, which should help.

• Upvote 1

I get out for at least an hour a day to walk the dog, eat healthily enough and have barely touched alcohol in the last year (and none in at least 3 months) but whilst not fat I am unfit. We went for a walk on the Moors yesterday and there were some substantial hills and heavy ground and I could tell I was out of shape. 

I need to start cycling again and am desperate to start some sort of team/social sport when possible, either 5-a-side or squash. Two years ago I was fit enough to do the Yorkshire 3 Peaks walk whereas now I don't think I'd get over the first one!