You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Album Ever - Group G (Vote for your top 2)

Bjornebye

Greatest Album Ever - Group G (Vote for your top 2)  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Album Ever - Group G (Vote for your top 2)

• The Stooges - Raw Power
    • The Smiths - Strangeways, Here We Come
    • U2 - Joshua Tree
    • Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/02/21 at 17:25

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'd never listened to Raw Power or SHWC before: the former blew me away and the latter bored and annoyed me.

Stooges knock U2 out for my vote. (SITKOL was always going to get one of my votes, because it would be a worthy winner of the whole thing.)

I absolutely love Raw Power, it's a bona fide classic, though not everyone's cup of tea. The first three songs-

Search and Destroy

Gimme Danger

Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell

...belong in the three great songs run.

As for Strangeways, I love that too, always have. I think it's the Smiths at the peak of their powers. Death of a Disco Dancer is peak Smith's. Again though - The Smiths are a very divisive band for people! 

14 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Seems an odd stick to beat U2 with, that they have been poor for 20 years, when this is about an album that came out 33 years ago

Agreed. 

Personally, I think all of their music is shite. However they should be judged on the individual album. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

As if most of the blerts on here have actually heard all the albums or will make the effort to listen before voting. 

But if you dislike U2, you are not likely to decide Joshua Tree is a good album after listening to it.

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

But if you dislike U2, you are not likely to decide Joshua Tree is a good album after listening to it.

You never know. There might be one person on here that has somehow avoided hearing Joshua Tree and takes a chance on it and gives it a listen. They might end up saying to themselves afterwoods that you know what I've always hated U2 but that wasn't quite as bad as the last 33 years of utter shite. 

And Rain Dogs.

But he was aware of Iggy or the Stooges and Tom Waits before.

Most of the stuff I gave a go thanks to this tournaments didn't exactly change my mind. What I didn't know and liked was already roughly in the ball park.

Some I may have been forced to admit is not that horrible, the rest just confirmed it was not for me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cloggypop said:

You never know. There might be one person on here that has somehow avoided hearing Joshua Tree and takes a chance on it and gives it a listen. They might end up saying to themselves afterwoods that you know what I've always hated U2 but that wasn't quite as bad as the last 46 years of utter shite. 

Sorted that for you.