You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton (H) PL - Sat 20th Feb 2021 at 17:30

TheDrowningMan

5 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Then you end up in the same situation as we have now, with a great first team and then a really big drop off to the bench. At some stage our number of players in has to be greater than players out, whilst maintaining the quality of the starting 11.

Yeah, but I'm assuming we'd want to keep a small-ish squad. And the biggest problem is that the likes of Matip, Keita and Ox can't stay fit. If you can sell them and get replacements that don't get injured every second game, all of a sudden the depth would feel sufficient. 

I'm old enough to remember the great 78-80 and 87-90 teams.  The latter were in the bottom 6 in October 88 as teams sussed them out. That's where we are now.

City lost 9 games last season and this season  learnt how to beat 10 men defences this season and stop teams hurting them on the counter. If this team wants to be a " great" Liverpool team, it needs to do the same.

Play Bobby as a number 10, play Mo up front, Mane on the right to get behind defences inside of running into trouble, and Jota/ Jones on the left.  

Playing a 4-2-3-1 would also bring out the Bayern Thiago. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, JoeBuck01 said:

I'm old enough to remember the great 78-80 and 87-90 teams.  The latter were in the bottom 6 in October 88 as teams sussed them out. That's where we are now.

City lost 9 games last season and this season  learnt how to beat 10 men defences this season and stop teams hurting them on the counter. If this team wants to be a " great" Liverpool team, it needs to do the same.

Play Bobby as a number 10, play Mo up front, Mane on the right to get behind defences inside of running into trouble, and Jota/ Jones on the left.  

I think you meant to say launch Bobby in a rocket to any other fucking country on the planet 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, JoeBuck01 said:

JoeBuck01 knows.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Its just a different set of could haves/might haves and should haves to every other shite result we have had in what is a couple of months now.

No wins at home in 6 games...2 goals scored.

4 league defeats on bounce.

We are the very definition of a side in absolute pieces at moment - don't win if play ok, don't win against shite, collapse, lose due to individual errors......end of day all adds up to same end result week after week.

You’re not wrong.

Look, I’m just not going to collapse into total negativity. We don’t know the extent of Hendo’s injury, so I’m going to hope & pray he’ll be up and running very very soon.

On the plus side, second half, w/o Hendo, I actually thought our midfield played some very good football, created chances but failed to capitalise. Bobby was guilty of wasted opportunities, as were Mo and Sadio. We were chasing the game and were always going to be vulnerable to a counter, hence the 2nd goal. Personally, I think it was penalty as Trent seemed to hook his foot up during the slide and it was off the ball, Ali having already saved, but for me, Alison needs to stopping and holding. He doesn’t.

Assuming the worst, and we don’t get top four (yes, I am aware the slide down the league might be far worse) we are actually already a last 16 CL side and the revenue from that if we can just make even the quarter or semi finals, will flow through next season, so there should be cash to spend, to strengthen.

42 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, but I'm assuming we'd want to keep a small-ish squad. And the biggest problem is that the likes of Matip, Keita and Ox can't stay fit. If you can sell them and get replacements that don't get injured every second game, all of a sudden the depth would feel sufficient. 

Long term success doesn’t come with a smallish squad

1 minute ago, Red Shift said:

You’re not wrong.

Look, I’m just not going to collapse into total negativity. We don’t know the extent of Hendo’s injury, so I’m going to hope & pray he’ll be up and running very very soon.

On the plus side, second half, w/o Hendo, I actually thought our midfield played some very good football, created chances but failed to capitalise. Bobby was guilty of wasted opportunities, as were Mo and Sadio. We were chasing the game and were always going to be vulnerable to a counter, hence the 2nd goal. Personally, I think it was penalty as Trent seemed to hook his foot up during the slide and it was off the ball, Ali having already saved, but for me, Alison needs to stopping and holding. He doesn’t.

Assuming the worst, and we don’t get top four (yes, I am aware the slide down the league might be far worse) we are actually already a last 16 CL side and the revenue from that if we can just make even the quarter or semi finals, will flow through next season, so there should be cash to spend, to strengthen.

Noises coming out of Klopp about Hendo's injury suggest its a bad one.

Would not surprise me if its a 6 week job.

As for everything else - i personally can't see anything that gives hope better times are around corner or in the medium term.

Let's hope it isn't case.

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

No, it’s not the least of our problems. It might not have mattered today, but at crucial moments in other games earlier in the season this shit has fucked us. That stalls momentum and makes players think that whatever they do it won’t matter. Heads drop. Indifference creeps in. Take out all the leaders in the pitch (Hendo, VVD and Milner) and one or two other crucial injuries and it all builds up. It’s very much part of it.

I really wanted to believe it’s just that refs are shite, but it’s happening too often, to us more than anyone, and tonight was fucking unreal in just how blatant it was.

We effectively had 4 points taken off us at Goodison and Brighton. That changed the tone and mood of the Autumn, led to a lack of confidence and belief and meant that we never had a cushion when we were top. 

It dents belief and creates tension which leads to mistakes.

• Upvote 1

The lack of fight and intensity at start of game today is what really got me.

You would have thought we would come out revved up big style and looking to get at them.

Instead we came out meekly, made a mistake as early as 5 seconds and just looked second to everything in those opening stages.

Where was the fight, where was the coming out revved up?

Fucking hell those fans spent all morning putting all those flags up all down the Anny Rd to show support, looks like even that gesture made no impact on the players at all.