You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton (H) PL - Sat 20th Feb 2021 at 17:30

TheDrowningMan

Thiago, Wijnaldum and 1 other is still a better midfield than 18 teams in this league.

Fabinho and Henderson have never been creative so we’re not missing anything from there. 

The front 3 have been phoning it in all season and this is what’s costing us games. If you don’t score you don’t win. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Gooch said:

It's ridiculously tedious how much people go on about the refs here. Don't look any better than the bad tits on twatter who dabble in conspiracy theories every 5 minutes to suit whatever warped view they have for their respective teams.

Football is shite.

With respect mate that's a shit take on it. I'd say 99% posters on here recognise the problems we're having at the moment, however it does not mean we can't take umbrage with some the scandalous decisions going against us at the minute. 

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

We won't get top 4. We might win the Champions League because I have a feeling that they will play it at the end of the season from the next round and a cup competition could suit us especially as we won't have anything to lose.

The most distasteful thing was Carra. Yeah Kabak was poor but he went out of his way to talk about how poor he was. I really didn't like that. 

No point talking about Tyler because he is about as neutral regarding us as Fox News is about the Democrats. The officials are a disgrace but again no point ranting about them. It doesn't shock me at all - again why aren't our lads in the ear of the ref. 

We will be back next season but I'd nearly rather we give players game time for next season. Give Kelleher plenty of games so he gets even more gametime in advance of next season. Try a few more academy/u23 players. Recall Elliot from Blackburn. Nothing to lose.

I actually want Kabak to get plenty of games. Let's see if he can turn it around. If he can't, I guess we go all out for Botman or the Croatian lad at Marseille.

Ironic given that Carragher got exploited far worse than Kabak on plenty of occasions despite being a regular at CB for the best part of a decade. Maybe we’d have won the league during his time were he back up to a better footballing centre back.

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

We'll agree to disagree. 

City aside, the teams who've beat us at Anfield have adopted a similar tactical approach. Defend well and defend deep and let us have the ball and see if our workmanlike midfield can create anything while their organised defence mop up the crosses. 

I can't remember the last time we scored a goal like their opener tonight. With a creative attacking midfielder sliding in the forward behind the back line. Our inability to break down deep defending teams is a huge problem. 

Of course tactics have something to do with it, it’s not black and white. Tonight for example Everton clearly set out to block the progress of Trent and Robbo. At half time we put Sadio more central, which meant they had to compress more in the middle, and it worked as it allowed the full backs more space to attack. But still the tempo and movement was not there, and we didnt manage to capitalize from especially Trent getting into some very good positions at the first part of the second half.

Edit: And we agree we struggle to break down teams defending low, but I think it’s more to do with out lack of movement and intensity than tactical issues.

4 minutes ago, Dave D said:

None of those teams make the error of weakening the midfield as well by playing them out of position  

And i doubt they would have sat knowing for months they had a crisis and how it was killing other areas of team and whole style of play/team structure  - and then think that getting £4.99 worth of 'cover' in the shape of a kid and a championship player in was acceptable.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Red74 said:

Thiago, Wijnaldum and 1 other is still a better midfield than 18 teams in this league.

Fabinho and Henderson have never been creative so we’re not missing anything from there. 

The front 3 have been phoning it in all season and this is what’s costing us games. If you don’t score you don’t win. 

I would say Firmino is the big problem as at least Mo and Sadio have been getting into positions to score,Firmino is absolute dogshit and more worried about his hair and teeth than anything else.

• Upvote 1

I'm not having that then pen didn't finish the game. 

I know we were shit, but how many times have teams been shit against us but pinched a result? 1-0 with 10 mins left is plenty of opportunity to pull something out the bag. 

That pen call was disgusting, when the ref got called over to the screen I was 100% sure he'd overturn it. Fucking scumbag didn't even look at it. 

• Upvote 1

Nat Phillips must get on klopps nerves in training because there’s no way this lad deserves to be benched for any of those who’ve played in front of him. 

He should have started every game for us as he hasn’t put a foot wrong yet he’s watching stand ins getting excuses made for them after fucking up every week while he’s watching from the bench.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Of course tactics have something to do with it, it’s not black and white. Tonight for example Everton clearly set out to block the progress of Trent and Robbo. At half time we put Sadio more central, which meant they had to compress more in the middle, and it worked as it allowed the full backs more space to attack. But still the tempo and movement was not there, and we didnt manage to capitalize from especially Trent getting into some very good positions at the first part of the second half.

Clearly it's not just one thing or another, injuries, playing players out of position and general fatigue and decline in form but I agree most premiership teams now go out of their way to shut down our fullback's and force everything through the middle. Missing Henderson and Fabinho in the middle only exacerbates this as we can't dominate that either. We end up with lots of sterile possession. RB Leipzig didn't do that and we thrived.

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I would say Firmino is the big problem as at least Mo and Sadio have been getting into positions to score,Firmino is absolute dogshit and more worried about his hair and teeth than anything else.

I fucking hate him with a passion. He’s been shocking for 2 years yet he gets excuse after excuse made for him. I’d rather play ox there in front of him. He’ll give the ball away just as much but at least he’ll have a go 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think you'll take a different stance when you cool down.I don't disagree that refs have fucked us but today was solely on the players and not the officials for a change.

I’m perfectly ok. If you read my earlier post you’d see that I can take a loss to Everton, even with the lack of effort, and I acknowledged we’d have probably lost anyway. But I want a level playing fiend and we’re blatantly not getting one. It may not have mattered today ultimately, but it has sure has hell mattered earlier in the season.

1 minute ago, Red74 said:

Nat Phillips must get on klopps nerves in training because there’s no way this lad deserves to be benched for any of those who’ve played in front of him. 

He should have started every game for us as he hasn’t put a foot wrong yet he’s watching stand ins getting excuses made for them after fucking up every week while he’s watching from the bench.

Presumably it's because we know he's not the answer long term, but Kabak might be

1 minute ago, Aventus said:

I'm not having that then pen didn't finish the game. 

I know we were shit, but how many times have teams been shit against us but pinched a result? 1-0 with 10 mins left is plenty of opportunity to pull something out the bag. 

That pen call was disgusting, when the ref got called over to the screen I was 100% sure he'd overturn it. Fucking scumbag didn't even look at it. 

Agreed. We were mostly crap, but had plenty of opportunities in the second half. Odds were against us given the quality of our finishing, but a scrappy shot that floats over Pickford’s 5 inch grasp is never out of the question.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

Oh this one is absolutely fucking gut wrenching.......real proper kick in the bollocks.

Nothing worse than losing to these, especially given the records we were defending against them.

It'll pass - but slowly. Avoid the media, block those strange bastards who some of us have as 'friends', don't answer the phone and watch a Netflix series for the next few days. Also drink whatever ale you have and wait for sleep. I'm old enough to know better yet I can't take losing to 'them'. Soon be summer.

4 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

With respect mate that's a shit take on it. I'd say 99% posters on here recognise the problems we're having at the moment, however it does not mean we can't take umbrage with some the scandalous decisions going against us at the minute. 

Yeah I get that, its just the conspiracy theory shite I can't stand is all and just see it too often on here, but understand its frustrating as fuck. Its part of a wider problem in the game though, most games now are dominated by contentious decisions and it's killed the enjoyment of the game for me.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

And i doubt they would have sat knowing for months they had a crisis and how it was killing other areas of team and whole style of play/team structure  - and then think that getting £4.99 worth of 'cover' in the shape of a kid and a championship player in was acceptable.....

Rubbish. Its no excuse for how we are performing 

3 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I fucking hate him with a passion. He’s been shocking for 2 years yet he gets excuse after excuse made for him. I’d rather play ox there in front of him. He’ll give the ball away just as much but at least he’ll have a go 

I'll be glad when he's sold.  Stealing a living.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Dave D said:

The Sky text stream were giving Kabak shit from about 3 mins

It pissed me off big time Dave. 

You know what Gary Neville is a far superior pundit. He is fair about the United players, but there is a line. Carra comes across as very gobby and crossed it regarding Kabak. I have no affinity for Kabak in the sense unlike the others he is a new player. However, he's 20 years old and fighting for his dream move. If he can't cut it, we don't buy him. No need for Carra to cross the line.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gooch said:

Yeah I get that, its just the conspiracy theory shite I can't stand is all and just see it too often on here, but understand its frustrating as fuck. Its part of a wider problem in the game though, most games now are dominated by contentious decisions and it's killed the enjoyment of the game for me.

Fair point mate. I'm not sure what is going on but I honestly don't understand what I'm seeing most games these days. Something really strange is going on.