You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I am fucking done. FUCK VAR

BeefStroganoff

Thats me done fellas. Nothing against Jurgen or the boys and the things we have dealt with. No, VAR is the most fucking sinister thing I've ever seen and we are royally being targeted, absolutely no question after that today.

They couldn't wait to give a pen, couldn't and then decided to fuck us over on the next play. I am done. This is not the game i grew up with. It has nothing to do with out form. Its everything about the game.

Fuck it all.

• Upvote 12

I don’t think its corrupt, I just think it’s massively incompetent.

Worse for me is seeing a goal scored,celebrated.  then after a minute disallowed, then after an age re- allowed leaving players celebrating like a rugby union twat or a pensioner politely applauding on a bowling green. Literally ruining the game.

• Upvote 5

Serious question. What can be done. Why do we have to put up with it. Majority of the footy world must feel the same. Irrespective of it going against us, most sides have been shafted. Our game isn't free flowing anymore, it's almost micro managed. The emotion of scoring a goal has been eroded. And for what? 

Was it just me or did you get the feeling that the authorities were really looking for something to give through that period of play? It was making the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, seriously it made me feel uneasy.

I can accept when we are shite or we make errors, thats on us, but this was dark.

Also the way VAR spends its time on OUR DECISIONS, the goal against Spurs the other week, the stuff today, yet when its about things possibly being in our favour we don't get the VAR treatment. Its horrific and very, very obvious.

VAR had, at least in my opinion, the potential to be a force for good in the game, at a stroke alleviating at least some of the poor decisions from refs. It seemed pretty simple and straightforward the way it was sold to us (not that the fans ever had a choice whether to buy it or not): it was there to give a second look at things the ref missed: blatant handballs and fouls, and judge with pinpoint accuracy whether a ball had crossed the line; offside etc. And it would only overrule a ref when there had been a 'clear and obvious error'. 

I expected some teething issues, but it seems to have gotten worse, if anything. And the worse thing is the complete abandonment of the clear and obvious error part. As we saw today with their 'onside' goal, the VAR refs are scrutinising and interpreting the video to find the slightest chance of being able to apply the rule as they want/reach the 'correct' decision. Fuck the fact that, if they're having to replay endlessly and draw ever tighter lines to reach a conclusion then it was never an 'obvious' error in the first instance. Why is this never talked about? Did I miss a decision made to change that part of the rule?

I'm not for one minute going to claim that we are uniquely negatively impacted by VAR, never mind that corruption's involved, even though it feels like it at times. I've seen plenty of games where even worse decisions are made than against us, as well as occasions (not so much this season though) when we've benefitted from decisions that I thought weren't the right ones.

All I want is for the game to be judged as fairly as possible, that's was why I was in favour of it - and why I think it needs fucking off now.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

It's sinister that we still can't hear those mics. Even with no crowds, a new gimmick, they still aren't up for complete transparency. 

This as well.

Its all in its own safe contained bubble. I do think its laughable that these things are seen to be not at the mercy of manipulation. We've seen over the years that corruption in sport exists.

VAR is shit, it isn't as sold on the tin. But everyone is getting screwed by it. Let's not blame today on VAR. Today was on the players, they have become mentally weak. 

VAR is not corrupt, we are not Everton there is not power that be holding us back. VAR is unfortunately run by the incompetent pricks that have been fucking up our reffing for years.

It does need to be more transparent, let people know what the threshold is for errors. Let us hear the conversations between the refs and that guy watching the video screen. 

None of this will get better until until they have an independent body monitoring the screens instead of the useless pricks we currently have.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Freddo said:

Serious question. What can be done. Why do we have to put up with it. Majority of the footy world must feel the same. Irrespective of it going against us, most sides have been shafted. Our game isn't free flowing anymore, it's almost micro managed. The emotion of scoring a goal has been eroded. And for what? 

It needs the majority of clubs to sign a petition for removing VAR, and probably needs sacrificial lambs to literally walk off the pitch in unison following a decision that is clearly inconsistent and/or incompetent. The squeaky wheel gets the attention. Grab ahold and don’t let go. In unison. A majority of clubs. Preferably every club.

6 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

VAR had, at least in my opinion, the potential to be a force for good in the game, at a stroke alleviating at least some of the poor decisions from refs. It seemed pretty simple and straightforward the way it was sold to us (not that the fans ever had a choice whether to buy it or not): it was there to give a second look at things the ref missed: blatant handballs and fouls, and judge with pinpoint accuracy whether a ball had crossed the line; offside etc. And it would only overrule a ref when there had been a 'clear and obvious error'. 

I expected some teething issues, but it seems to have gotten worse, if anything. And the worse thing is the complete abandonment of the clear and obvious error part. As we saw today with their 'onside' goal, the VAR refs are scrutinising and interpreting the video to find the slightest chance of being able to apply the rule as they want/reach the 'correct' decision. Fuck the fact that, if they're having to replay endlessly and draw ever tighter lines to reach a conclusion then it was never an 'obvious' error in the first instance. Why is this never talked about? Did I miss a decision made to change that part of the rule?

I'm not for one minute going to claim that we are uniquely negatively impacted by VAR, never mind that corruption's involved, even though it feels like it at times. I've seen plenty of games where even worse decisions are made than against us, as well as occasions (not so much this season though) when we've benefitted from decisions that I thought weren't the right ones.

All I want is for the game to be judged as fairly as possible, that's was why I was in favour of it - and why I think it needs fucking off now.

In other words, the game was being ruined by bad decisions before VAR, and nothing has changed since its introduction. Bad decisions continue to destroy the game.

Lifting the League Trophy (that ugly horrible trophy) on an empty Kop was probably the beginning of the end for me.

I know that's as a result of covid, but it sums up the soulless, manufactured, shit show that football has turned into.

And for all the offside etch-a-sketching bollocks, that super slo-mo penalty decision at Brighton probably epitomises it for me.

This doesn't even remotely resemble the game I signed up for over 40 years ago... that had me on my knees praying for victories when I was 10, crying myself to sleep after losing an FA Cup Final, even marvelling at things that had nothing to do with us - like a Dennis Tueart overhead kick.

Now, it's like the ad break is occasionally interrupted by the TV show.  

As for the real trophy, well someone like Brentford might be lifting it in a few months....

PA-1176462.jpg

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SlugTrail said:

VAR is shit, it isn't as sold on the tin. But everyone is getting screwed by it. Let's not blame today on VAR. Today was on the players, they have become mentally weak. 

VAR is not corrupt, we are not Everton there is not power that be holding us back. VAR is unfortunately run by the incompetent pricks that have been fucking up our reffing for years.

It does need to be more transparent, let people know what the threshold is for errors. Let us hear the conversations between the refs and that guy watching the video screen. 

None of this will get better until until they have an independent body monitoring the screens instead of the useless pricks we currently have.

Yeah I agree but you've got to admit we always seem to be on the punishing end of it. A pen shout for us is barely looked at when it's potentially against us they bring in Columbo. 

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Yeah I agree but you've got to admit we always seem to be on the punishing end of it. A pen shout for us is barely looked at when it's potentially against us they bring in Columbo. 

I think we only really remember the ones that go against us, we do get them going for us as well, sometimes its not overturning decisions that go 8n our favour. 

What I will say is if there is even the remotest possibility to rule something out they take it. And that applies to everyone.

9 hours ago, Red Shift said:

In other words, the game was being ruined by bad decisions before VAR, and nothing has changed since its introduction. Bad decisions continue to destroy the game.

No, the game was being ruined by bad decisions before VAR, VAR was supposed to lessen instances of bad decisions but has instead added another layer of bad decision making (which is even more inexplicable given refs now have the benefit of replays and hindsight), the rules surrounding VAR seem to have changed mid-game without any announcement, and all this while slowing the game down and making fans wary of celebrating goals because of VAR pulling play back two minutes later.

I'm not sure how you can say nothing has changed since its introduction.

• Upvote 1

I've not watched any football for several weeks and along with putting Gnasher on ignore it's been really good for my nerves. The way VAR is applied with no consistency, especially in our matches, is just mind boggling. Really does highlight how the officiating isn't fit for purpose. Referees are making decisions that affect results and the most that happens is "they get taken out of the firing line" for a weekend.

• Upvote 1