You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

RB Leipzig (A) UCL - Tues 16th Feb 2021 at 20:00

TheDrowningMan

One of the oddities about our history in European competition is that, after beating Juventus in the first round of the old Cup-Winners' Cup in 1965/66, we didn't face a single Italian side until we met Roma in the Olimpico in 1984. During that long stretch, the team travelled behind the Iron Curtain to East Germany a number of times. The first of those was to face Dynamo Berlin in the UEFA Cup in November 1972. We claimed a goalless draw at their place before winning the return 3-1 at Anfield. We would go on to win the UEFA Cup that season. I can't find footage of the 0-0 game on Youtube.

Chuck Berry topped the charts in November 1972 with 'My Ding-a-Ling'. The lyrics are every bit as dubious as you'd expect. I can't imagine such a song getting released today that's for sure.

In normal circumstances, this game would be played in Leipzig in what was once East Germany. Because of Covid restrictions, the game has been switched to the Puskas Arena in Budapest, which replaced the old Nepstadion a couple of years ago. It's a modern stadium that looks a bit like Bayern's Allianz Arena on the inside. 3 tiers all round, and top-class corporate and media facilities.

As for the game, who knows what to expect from us anymore. Our form, fitness, fortune and mentality have taken a pummeling this season. I know we are capable of getting a result. I just don't know whether we will. I can only hope we put on a performance and get a result instead of getting caught playing with our ding-a-lings.

• Upvote 2

On 13/02/2021 at 15:23, Trumo said:

One of the oddities about our history in European competition is that, after beating Juventus in the first round of the old Cup-Winners' Cup in 1965/66, we didn't face a single Italian side until we met Roma in the Olimpico in 1984. During that long stretch, the team travelled behind the Iron Curtain to East Germany a number of times. The first of those was to face Dynamo Berlin in the UEFA Cup in November 1972. We claimed a goalless draw at their place before winning the return 3-1 at Anfield. We would go on to win the UEFA Cup that season. I can't find footage of the 0-0 game on Youtube.

Chuck Berry topped the charts in November 1972 with 'My Ding-a-Ling'. The lyrics are every bit as dubious as you'd expect. I can't imagine such a song getting released today that's for sure.

In normal circumstances, this game would be played in Leipzig in what was once East Germany. Because of Covid restrictions, the game has been switched to the Puskas Arena in Budapest, which replaced the old Nepstadion a couple of years ago. It's a modern stadium that looks a bit like Bayern's Allianz Arena on the inside. 3 tiers all round, and top-class corporate and media facilities.

As for the game, who knows what to expect from us anymore. Our form, fitness, fortune and mentality have taken a pummeling this season. I know we are capable of getting a result. I just don't know whether we will. I can only hope we put on a performance and get a result instead of getting caught playing with our ding-a-lings.

I watched the 0-0 Dynamo Berlin game recently and I am sure its on youtube. I think they missed a penalty,or Clem saved it? We have loads of supporters in the former East Berlin due to that tie too. I am friends with a few.