You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flying. Everything planes.

rb14

Wouldn't be the first time the USAF was embarrassed, only shock is they didn't shoot at anything of ours. 

Identification, friend or foe (IFF) is a radar-based identification system designed for command and control. It uses a transponder that listens for an interrogation signal and then sends a response that identifies the broadcaster. It enables military and civilian air traffic control interrogation systems to identify aircraft, vehicles or forces as friendly and to determine their bearing and range from the interrogator.

Depending on mission profile the they may also carry a radar cross section (RCS) enhancer to hide its stealth capabilities and make it more visible on radar.

Usually the main system for creating situational awareness during military operations and training is the Link 16 military tactical datalink. This system is carried by all modern NATO military aircraft, though F-22 will be getting the full feature Link 16 system including transmit functionality during 2021 . Link 16 also utilized by other branches of the military forces.

00y3i.jpg

The role of the Radar Reflector is two-fold. For one thing, it makes the plane visible to other aircraft and to ground stations via radar. Secondly, it denies adversaries the opportunity to test methods of detecting the stealth aircraft.

Then there's this story.

The F-35 stealth fighter is lauded by the U.S Air Force as almost invisible to radar - which is why it has spent $100million on each of the jets.      

However, a German radar maker claims to have tracked two of jets from a pony farm for nearly 100 miles using an emerging generation of sensors and processors. 

It used a new 'passive radar' system that analyzes how civilian communications - such as radio and TV broadcasts and mobile phone stations - bounce off airborne objects. 

This, the firm says, renders the jet's stealth technology, that is designed to absorb ground based radar to stop it reflecting back, redundant.     

The new radar has no emitters so pilots do not realize they are entering a monitored area - but it relies on there being civilian communication waves.    

On 21/02/2021 at 19:36, Mike D said:

This and the Dambusters were movies I always wanted to see as a kid and it wasn't until years later that I actually got to see them. Kenneth More makes Bader come across as a decent sort of a bloke whereas he was quite the opposite in real life, a total cunt. Staunch Tory somewhere to the right of Farage on immigration. The most telling tale about the character of the man that I heard was that in 1943 or '44 the Germans offered repatriation to Medical corps troops. Bader refused to allow his batman to be repatriated because he didn't want to lose his servant.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

This and the Dambusters were movies I always wanted to see as a kid and it wasn't until years later that I actually got to see them. Kenneth More makes Bader come across as a decent sort of a bloke whereas he was quite the opposite in real life, a total cunt. Staunch Tory somewhere to the right of Farage on immigration. The most telling tale about the character of the man that I heard was that in 1943 or '44 the Germans offered repatriation to Medical corps troops. Bader refused to allow his batman to be repatriated because he didn't want to lose his servant.

Crashed showing off.

21 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

What about his work for the disabled after the war? 

This obsession with everyone being a nice bloke is fucking weird.  I bet you’ve got mates who you’d describe as ‘a bit of a cunt’ but in anyone else it’s verboten. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Crashed showing off.

Douglas was commissioned as an officer in the Royal Air Force in 1930 but after only 18 months he crashed his aeroplane and became a double amputee caused by “my own fault” in an aeroplane accident in 1931

weird. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Apparently Guy Gibson was much the same. 

Product of a different era maybe.

Still a pair of cunts though

2 minutes ago, Chr15 said:

Apparently Guy Gibson was much the same. 

Product of a different era maybe.

Still a pair of cunts though

Guy Gibson wasn’t a nice man, well, he wasn’t in some people’s view when he died at 26.  Twenty fucking six after over 150 wartime flights. Maybe HR should have intervened.

HR - Guy, I appreciate you are risking your life on bombing raids and doing a good job but you must realise it’s not what you do, it’s how you do it. Can you be nicer to people so that in 70 years time some mollycoddled entitled cunts can think better of you? 

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Guy Gibson wasn’t a nice man, well, he wasn’t in some people’s view when he died at 26.  Twenty fucking six after over 150 wartime flights. Maybe HR should have intervened.

HR - Guy, I appreciate you are risking your life on bombing raids and doing a good job but you must realise it’s not what you do, it’s how you do it. Can you be nicer to people so that in 70 years time some mollycoddled entitled cunts can think better of you? 

No idea what Human Resources have to do with it considering they are a relatively modern invention.  As I've said, product of a different era. Needs must etc, etc.  He still comes across as a chopsy twat in every account I've read about him. 

And now I'm a "mollycoddled, entitled cunt" ..... how so?

10 minutes ago, Chr15 said:

No idea what Human Resources have to do with it considering they are a relatively modern invention.  As I've said, product of a different era. Needs must etc, etc.  He still comes across as a chopsy twat in every account I've read about him. 

And now I'm a "mollycoddled, entitled cunt" ..... how so?

Well you only know him through his work. Granted I was being glib but how the fuck you feel it’s worth commenting on how you think he was as a person, when potentially (and you know what I mean) how someone acts when they risk their life a few times a week might not be the best time to judge them is beyond me. 

10 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Well you only know him through his work. Granted I was being glib but how the fuck you feel it’s worth commenting on how you think he was as a person, when potentially (and you know what I mean) how someone acts when they risk their life a few times a week might not be the best time to judge them is beyond me. 

Yes, I only know him through his work. I didn't realise you knew knew him personally. He wasn't the only one risking his life (every day) during the the war.  More exciting than flying a desk in an office though.

• 2 weeks later...