You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flying. Everything planes.

rb14

21 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

Cheers man. The Loop is a lovely place but it's a twat of a drive from Preston until you get to Bala. The scenery is beautiful from there onwards.

Must have been immense to be surrounded by all that stuff though. Was the Tornado the F variant for QRA? I think the GR variant wasn't much use at getting up and away quick enough compared to the F. I used to love the Jags as well. Saw a few of them at Warton too but was always a Tonka fan.

If I remember rightly we only had Jags in the QRA when I was there, I don't think the Tornado was reliable enough, according to the techies it didn't like the rain. 

Later I was stationed at Abingdon which at the time was servicing the Jags, I remember one air show they opened the hangar to the public but changed all the aircraft identifiers (letters and numbers on the rear of the fuselage) to some random shite so nobody knew the service rotation. 

Aircraft became like cars, you mainly ignored them. Although I do love the chinook, they make a very distinguishable noise.  One flew over here last last summer, I heard the noise and knew instantly what it was before I even saw it. 

th?id=OIP.6Yq5ngetGEbk1IEVG51NUwHaE8%26p

11 hours ago, Preston Red said:

The Lightnings were amazing. I was lucky enough to live near British Aerospace at Warton as a kid and I saw the last of them there in the mid 80s. That noise and the climb rate were unbelievable.

The Machynlleth Loop. It used to be awesome down there but in recent years it's quietened down a lot. Unfortunately, it's become a victim of social media as ignorant bastards started going and annoying the farmers who own the land by leaving gates open, parking in front of access gates and leaving litter all over the show. Add into the mix an RAF front line jet ban, LFA7 is now a shadow of it's former self.

I love aviation. Specifically military aviation. I never thought anything of getting up at 4am to go to RAF bases like Coningsby and Marham or to head down to Wales to sit on a mountain side and wait for military jets, cargo or helicopters. If you're into airshows, I can't recommend the Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) enough. It blows all other airshows out of the water. Wall to wall action from 10am to 6:30pm.

Here's a few pics I've got from the Mach Loop and various airshows.

F-15-C Strike Eagle turning into the Cad Pass in the Machynlleth Loop. The perspective on this pic is incredibly deceiving. The jet is actually a mile past the hill.

F-15 Eagle 27062018 CR

IX Squadron Typhoon taking off at RIAT in 2019.

NATO Flypast Typhoon 5 CR

Two of a RAF four ship of Tornado GR4s in the Machynlleth Loop.

Tornado GR4s 19032017 revisit (1)

RAF Typhoon Display at RIAT 2018.

RAF Typhoon Display 12B CR

Red Arrows at RIAT 2019

Red Arrows 3 CR (1)

USAF CV-22 Osprey in the Loop. One of the most bizarre things I've seen fly.

IMG_20190307_210947_021

RAF Tucano trainer in the Lake District over Thirlmere.

IMG_20190629_091815_309

RAF Hawk T2 trainer jet also over Thrilmere.

IMG_20190629_090819_677

British Army Air Corp Apache display at RIAT 2019. I'm not usually a big fan of helis but these things are amazingly agile. Check out the displays on YouTube.

IMG_20190724_181240_071

There was a programme about that Osprey on last week, things never went well during its early days but now its an essential part of US military I believe, being able to do what others can't. 

It is a strange looking thing and I'm not sure I'd like a ride in one, same with any Helicopter for that matter. 

2 hours ago, Poster said:

If I remember rightly we only had Jags in the QRA when I was there, I don't think the Tornado was reliable enough, according to the techies it didn't like the rain. 

Later I was stationed at Abingdon which at the time was servicing the Jags, I remember one air show they opened the hangar to the public but changed all the aircraft identifiers (letters and numbers on the rear of the fuselage) to some random shite so nobody knew the service rotation. 

Aircraft became like cars, you mainly ignored them. Although I do love the chinook, they make a very distinguishable noise.  One flew over here last last summer, I heard the noise and knew instantly what it was before I even saw it. 

th?id=OIP.6Yq5ngetGEbk1IEVG51NUwHaE8%26p

Hahaha, crazy isn't it that a multi million pound jet can carry so much technology on board, be able to fly under radar range but a spot of rain and it's not a happy bunny. Yeah, the chinooks are unbelievable aircraft. Another physics-buster with it's agility. Their display is never boring either.

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I’ve seen a few Jaguars at the side of motorways recently, theres one on the M6 at a paintball place and another on the M42 near the M40 junction.  If only I had a bigger garden, RB14 has NO excuses! 

It's a crime is that when they're just left to rot. Same with the old Lightnings left abandoned at old bases like Binbrook.

2 hours ago, easytoslip said:

There was a programme about that Osprey on last week, things never went well during its early days but now its an essential part of US military I believe, being able to do what others can't. 

It is a strange looking thing and I'm not sure I'd like a ride in one, same with any Helicopter for that matter. 

When I first saw one come round the corner in the Loop, I couldn't believe what I was seeing as it was a bizarre looking thing. I'd seen pics of them before down there but never thought I'd ever see one. A mate of mine was in Afghanistan and he was impressed by them and how they could shift so much shit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I was on a course once at Sandhurst and two Apaches landed on the parade ground. Noisy fuckers but to see them so close up was incredible.  

Phenomenal bits of kit. I'd hate to be a target of one of them. At least death would be instantaneous with the ordnance they can carry.

1 hour ago, Preston Red said:

Phenomenal bits of kit. I'd hate to be a target of one of them. At least death would be instantaneous with the ordnance they can carry.

Absolutely, that was the thing that struck me, lots of pointy things poking out the front. 

My old man used to build air fix models in the 80’s, I didn’t have the patience but they were amazing.  He’d build them and hang them from my ceiling with fishing wire as if they were in dogfights.  I can remember looking down on people if they didn’t know the difference between an F14 and an F15. 

Technically brilliant too, they could hide from radar at negative elevation; you could lock up the trees they were hiding behind and moving and knew the fucking thing was there but you wouldn't be able to get it.

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Absolutely, that was the thing that struck me, lots of pointy things poking out the front. 

My old man used to build air fix models in the 80’s, I didn’t have the patience but they were amazing.  He’d build them and hang them from my ceiling with fishing wire as if they were in dogfights.  I can remember looking down on people if they didn’t know the difference between an F14 and an F15. 

Hahaha same here.

I'm still building models at 40 too.

3 hours ago, Stouffer said:

Technically brilliant too, they could hide from radar at negative elevation; you could lock up the trees they were hiding behind and moving and knew the fucking thing was there but you wouldn't be able to get it.

That's a terrifying ability. You know it's there, radar won't confirm it but one wrong move and you're another statistic on the battlefield.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, A Red said:

I think the Red Arrows are doing a fly past in Glasgow quite soon

Working in Bournemouth about 15 years ago and they where doing a show, the spectators where on the beach but we were on top of the Scaffolding a mile or so inland but when they split off before regrouping one or two would fly over us pretty low, or we were pretty high, anyway we could see their show from are vantage point, fantastic to watch, as you probably well know. 

The Red Arrows went over on a saturday afternoon at the Isle of Wight Festival (07 I think). Clear blue skies having a fucking great weekend with mates, they did their thing then ended with that big heart in the sky with the arrow through it. just as I was coming up on a gary. I just stood there crying. 

EDIT: Yes it was

45 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The Red Arrows went over on a saturday afternoon at the Isle of Wight Festival (07 I think). Clear blue skies having a fucking great weekend with mates, they did their thing then ended with that big heart in the sky with the arrow through it. just as I was coming up on a gary. I just stood there crying. 

EDIT: Yes it was

Good that, they're really are  brilliant, a bit of The Doors I heard there just to add to the scene. 

• Upvote 1

Hahaha same here.

I'm still building models at 40 too.

I was going to post these a few weeks back in the 'man cave' thread.

This is my "Air War in the Pacific" studio/kitchen. Started back into modeling a few years ago (pre-pandemic).

From left to right at 1/48 -  P-38 Lightning, Dauntless Divebomber, F4F Wildcat, Mitsubishi Zero. On the desk to the left, you can see the fuselage for my 1/32 MKIX Sptifire (1:200 Bismarck template on the wall too, but that's another thread).

CQyLxNn.jpg

2tq5bYi.jpg

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, neko said:

I was going to post these a few weeks back in the 'man cave' thread.

This is my "Air War in the Pacific" studio/kitchen. Started back into modeling a few years ago (pre-pandemic).

From left to right at 1/48 -  P-38 Lightning, Dauntless Divebomber, F4F Wildcat, Mitsubishi Zero. On the desk to the left, you can see the fuselage for my 1/32 MKIX Sptifire (1:200 Bismarck template on the wall too, but that's another thread).

CQyLxNn.jpg

2tq5bYi.jpg

3 hours ago, neko said:

This bad boy up some time this year....

s-l1600.jpg

YERRRRRRRRRSSSSSS

Can't beat model building. Melts away any bad vibes just sitting at a desk and building a good kit.

Wow. What scale is the Lancaster? Tamiya are usually spot on with their kits although I've just discovered the Eduard kits.

BF 109F recently completed

20210110_203411

Current BF 109E-7 on the bench

20210206_101815

An unfortunate aspect of flying are the landings people dont walk away from. Sometimes I find it difficult watch programmes like Aircraft Investigation on tv due to the sad loss of live.

But the methodology employed to find out what went wrong and try and prevent a repeat is very interesting.

There's a couple of pilots of YT who do a review of these accidents based on released info.

Jaun Browne does a good overview and does Scott Perdue

9 hours ago, M_B said:

The sound of Merlin engines is like music isn't. For me though, sound of the Daimler Benz on the 109 has that bit extra. The whistle it produces is sweet. Admittedly, I'd sooner hear that than tbe sound of a Stuka bearing down on me. It's been mentioned earlier about how terrifying that must have been.

8 hours ago, Mike D said:

Some of the massive ones on there are what it feels like to build a 1:24 scale on my desk haha.

8 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

An unfortunate aspect of flying are the landings people dont walk away from. Sometimes I find it difficult watch programmes like Aircraft Investigation on tv due to the sad loss of live.

But the methodology employed to find out what went wrong and try and prevent a repeat is very interesting.

There's a couple of pilots of YT who do a review of these accidents based on released info.

Jaun Browne does a good overview and does Scott Perdue

While they're difficult to watch, during my Mech Eng degree I found these programmes fascinating. I'd covered design, materials and fatigue and to see it applied in these instances is pretty useful.

• Upvote 1