You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flying. Everything planes.

rb14

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

That is probably very true also. I only mentioned Lufthansa as I saw a youtube video celebrating their last a380's journey to the storage facility they are using. I'm not sure if it's a facility in Spain rather than the one Arizona though. I don't recall.

The A380 is a fantastic aircraft but the truth is it didnt sell as well as expected.

1 minute ago, tokyojoe said:

The Continental Airlines widebody flights used to be known as 'the flying pub' because most had a stand up bar in them.

I was in the lounge bar on first class on Pan Am from Seattle once. Now that was ace.

Business class tends to be full of twats.

I can vouch for that.  

I went down to Old Warden a few years ago to the Shuttleworth Collection.

Pretty good day, a few oldsters flying past, the Harrier doing its party piece, dropping its nose down till it was nearly on the ground then putting reverse on and backing up and away, then the Battle of Britain flight when past...

just as the latter cleared the field .....the commentator said to look into the distance at the dot circling there, which then banked and started to accelerate towards us, and he said "Ladies and Gentlemen......" and as he said this the pilot put his boot down and screamed over the field setting off every car alarm in the vicinity....."the F-16"

Its as well I'm deaf as a post......impressive though.....

A Sea King chopper did a fly past after, it was going past on its side, with the side door open, and crew members standing in the doorway strapped in and waving to us down below. Balls Of Steel those blokes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, redinblack said:

I went down to Old Warden a few years ago to the Shuttleworth Collection.

Pretty good day, a few oldsters flying past, the Harrier doing its party piece, dropping its nose down till it was nearly on the ground then putting reverse on and backing up and away, then the Battle of Britain flight when past...

just as the latter cleared the field .....the commentator said to look into the distance at the dot circling there, which then banked and started to accelerate towards us, and he said "Ladies and Gentlemen......" and as he said this the pilot put his boot down and screamed over the field setting off every car alarm in the vicinity....."the F-16"

Its as well I'm deaf as a post......impressive though.....

A Sea King chopper did a fly past after, it was going past on its side, with the side door open, and crew members standing in the doorway strapped in and waving to us down below. Balls Of Steel those blokes.

I think the F16 is a great looking aircraft. I believe the pilot's seat is reclined by about 30 degrees to help the pilot cope with the G forces. Loved the looks of Jaguar as well.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, tokyojoe said:

The Continental Airlines widebody flights used to be known as 'the flying pub' because most had a stand up bar in them.

I was in the lounge bar on first class on Pan Am from Seattle once. Now that was ace.

Business class tends to be full of twats.

I once flew back from the states on a 747 that had a bar upstairs. Spent all night getting pissed with a couple of complete strangers, blokes who worked for Wrigleys gum. Arrived in Heathrow about 9 and went straight to the office. Happy days. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Ha ha spot on. They had to pour me out of my seat.  The stewardess were ace, I told them it would be the only time I went first and wanted to enjoy every second and they made it brilliant.  I think I drank 2 bottles of champagne.  One said their passengers were usually grumpy so to have an excited man child was a nice change.  

I usually have to be poured out of my seat after a two hour holiday flight but only because I am glued there by a white knuckle fear of flying.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I usually have to be poured out of my seat after a two hour holiday flight but only because I am glued there by a white knuckle fear of flying.

I was coming back from Lanzarote once, I sat next to My Mrs in the middle seat of 3 and a bloke sat next to me in the aisle seat, with his family in the 3 across the aisle. He was nearly sobbing the poor lad. Whilst people are getting on the lights flicked on and off "ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT........" I said its ok its just stuff starting up, checking stuff......its cool" We motor up the runway, pilot then does a quick right turn and puts his boot down for take off , the lad has got his eyes hit tight "OH FUUUUUUUUCK".....we are in the air about an hour and the pilot announces we are coming to some turbulence and to sit down belts on. You can imagine the lad was terrified, he had hold of my arm ( he wasnt my type) for the entire 5 minutes or so it went on, it felt like 5hrs. But he did the flight for his family to have a holiday. Good on him.

I was coming back from Amsterdam to Liverpool once, winter, late flight, bad weather, heavy snow. The pilot did "on approach" and tried to land 3 times and aborted 3 times due to visibility. Ended up diverting to Manchester to land. I was a gibbering wreck when I got off.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Stouffer said:

I once flew Thumrait to Muscat in what I think was a very old 727.

Hit a thunderstorm and the pilot descended to the point where we were basically skimming the desert.

Turbulent as fuck, he'll of a ride it was.

Id have been hysterical I think.

I remember landing at San Francisco and looking out the window....."theres a lot of water there.......Im only seeing water.......Im still only seeing water..........runway.......please.........thank god.........". Im a big tart I know.

• 2 weeks later...

If it gets up to 45kts, I could taxy the Cessna to the runway, stop, give it a notch of flaps, some backpressure on the yoke and it would fly. Wouldn't need the engine at all. Hadn't really thought about it, but it would land like that too. How to convert a Cessna into a Harrier jump-jet. 

• Upvote 2

On 04/02/2022 at 10:50, redinblack said:

Id have been hysterical I think.

I remember landing at San Francisco and looking out the window....."theres a lot of water there.......Im only seeing water.......Im still only seeing water..........runway.......please.........thank god.........". Im a big tart I know.

same landing in Gibraltar

On 18/02/2022 at 09:37, rb14 said:

If it gets up to 45kts, I could taxy the Cessna to the runway, stop, give it a notch of flaps, some backpressure on the yoke and it would fly. Wouldn't need the engine at all. Hadn't really thought about it, but it would land like that too. How to convert a Cessna into a Harrier jump-jet. 

You' could do 'what' with the Cessna? Sounds similar to, but not quite a word.

I thought you weren't into flaps.

You're of course right about flaps. Bleurghhhhh. Skank. 

As for what I could do in the Cessna, I refer you to the following excerpt, from Pooley's Air Pilot Publishing. The photo is taken from Page 11 of their Air Pilot's Manual "Night Rating Manual & Syllabus and Student Record of Training". 

Don't question me. Don't ever, ever question me. How very dare you. 

PXL_20220220_073622774~2.jpg

• Upvote 1