You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flying. Everything planes.

rb14

The Blackburn Buccaneer. Love the lines of this beauty. We made some fucking awesome aircraft back in the day. Not sure where the Blackburn bit comes from, Salmesbury is like halfway between Preston and Blackburn. Guess the Preston Buccaneer wouldnt have sounded as good?

According to Wiki, it's because it was built by Blackburn Aircraft at brough. Live and learn I suppose!

On 28/07/2022 at 18:02, Kepler-186 said:

Can’t link direct but this was on my FB vids. 

Extract from an interview with George Martin about being an observer in a Fairey Swordfish. 

You’ll be able to find it and more 

at Wings TV. 

The presenter’s name is familiar but don’t know much about him to be honest. He’s sadly passed away. 

He did a lot of motorsport commentary and raced a bit himself.

The name might seem familiar because of his daughter Amanda? She presented on The Word and stuff like that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/07/2022 at 20:17, Stouffer said:

The Range Controller where I used to work was a Vulcan Nav'. He said he hated those steps.

Way back in the 60s, a few of us students went fruit picking near Pershore on our summer hols. We got offered a day's work pea picking (the hardest days work I've ever done) and got taken on the back of a truck to a farm somewhere. Turned out to be at the end of the runway at the (then) Radar Research Establishment. First we knew about it was when a Vulcan took off and passed about 50ft over our heads. Shat ourselves, earsplitting noise.

• Upvote 3

More like bastard son, if you ask me. After doing all they could to kill Concorde, I wonder how many US environmental protestors will organise similar campaigns against this as they did Concorde?

There must be huge questions about how they get the services to pay considering it will carry less passengers than Concorde at higher cost per seat.

The world’s biggest airline has announced a deal to buy a fleet of new high-tech jets dubbed the “son of Concorde”, setting up the return of supersonic transatlantic flights by the end of the decade.

American Airlines on Tuesday agreed to purchase up to 20 Overture aircraft from Boom Supersonic, with an option to extend the order to 40.

The jets are expected to carry passengers from 2029 on routes such as Miami to London and Los Angeles to Honolulu.

It would mark a return of supersonic transatlantic travel after a near-30 year hiatus, following the retirement of Concorde by British Airways in 2003.

Boom says the Overture will carry 65 to 80 passengers and travel twice as fast as most commercial aircraft, boasting a cruising speed of mach 1.7 - roughly 1,300 miles per hour. 

This will reduce journey times between London and New York from six and a half hours to three and a half hours. A flight between London and Miami would also be cut from about nine and a half hours to less than five.

American, which is the world’s biggest airline by fleet size, said it had paid a deposit for the new jets, which are expected to begin rolling off production lines from 2025.

They will give the carrier “an important new speed advantage”, a statement said.

Derek Kerr, American’s chief financial officer, said: “Looking to the future, supersonic travel will be an important part of our ability to deliver for our customers.

“We are excited about how Boom will shape the future of travel both for our company and our customers.”

The order from American comes just weeks after Boom unveiled a separate deal with US defence contractor Northrop Grumman to develop a military version of the Overture.

United Airlines and Japan Airlines have also placed orders for the yet-to-launch jets.

Boom’s planes have been nicknamed “son of Concorde” after the last supersonic passenger jet, developed jointly by the UK and France.

The Anglo-French project was shelved after a fatal crash at Charles de Gaulle airport in July 2000.

Demand for the flights also began to wane as City and Wall Street banks baulked at paying £7,000 a seat to ferry executives across the Atlantic at faster-than-sound speeds. 

Supersonic travel is inefficient compared to subsonic flight because of the extra fuel needed for higher speeds. 

It is a tough sell at a time when the industry is going to great lengths to lower emissions. Boom says it will use so-called sustainable aviation fuel to limit its carbon output.

Blake Scholl, the company’s chief executive, said: “We are proud to share our vision of a more connected and sustainable world with American Airlines.

“We believe Overture can help American deepen its competitive advantage on network, loyalty and overall airline preference through the paradigm-changing benefits of cutting travel times in half.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/08/16/worlds-biggest-airline-orders-30-son-concorde-supersonic-jets/

Love gliders or sailplanes, probably the purest flight you can get unless you're a bird?

I thought this was a scale model at first with the retracting turbine. It's a sustainer which means it gives the pilot a bit of help if they're in danger of landing out and no thermals. Still means this sailplanes needs an aerotow to launch.

Would love a ride in a 2 seater although I dont know if Id have the bottle if push came to shove!

16 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Love gliders or sailplanes, probably the purest flight you can get unless you're a bird?

I thought this was a scale model at first with the retracting turbine. It's a sustainer which means it gives the pilot a bit of help if they're in danger of landing out and no thermals. Still means this sailplanes needs an aerotow to launch.

Would love a ride in a 2 seater although I dont know if Id have the bottle if push came to shove!

I think that most gliders have some form of engine? just in case.

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think that most gliders have some form of engine? just in case.

No they dont, not yet at least and they do cost plus need maintenance to a degree. Sustainers and Rise of Ground are relatively new. Their development followed on from scale models same as auto steering for yachts. ROGs can be either retractable or nose mounted. Nose mounted are brushless electric motors while those that retract into the fuselage can be jet fueled as in that example, battery or small two stroke.

Ive no doubt these engines are becoming more popular since otherwise you need an aerotow which needs a tug and pilot or a static winch. If your strip is on the top of a large hill, you can also use a bungee launch, basically a big elastic band.

You can get 'motorised gliders' that look more like a plane with longer slimmer wings.

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

No they dont, not yet at least and they do cost plus need maintenance to a degree. Sustainers and Rise of Ground are relatively new. Their development followed on from scale models same as auto steering for yachts. ROGs can be either retractable or nose mounted. Nose mounted are brushless electric motors while those that retract into the fuselage can be jet fueled as in that example, battery or small two stroke.

Ive no doubt these engines are becoming more popular since otherwise you need an aerotow which needs a tug and pilot or a static winch. If your strip is on the top of a large hill, you can also use a bungee launch, basically a big elastic band.

You can get 'motorised gliders' that look more like a plane with longer slimmer wings.

Thanks for the info.

21 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Just going back to this but I think I might have confused myself by thinking about that little 'glide engine' that some commercial aircraft have that can help them glide just a bit longer in case of engine failure or fuel shortage emergency type things. It was highlighted in a famous 'aircrash' incident which prevented a major crash by helping an airliner land somewhere when it had no power/fuel/engines etc. Think it may have been a Canadian airline? Air Transat,or something?

1 hour ago, Stouffer said:

Anyone else into the AAIB incident reports?

I can't get enough off them.

Tend to watch Juan Brown's Blancolario, Dan Gryder's Probable Cause or Scott Purdue's Fly by wire channels on You Tube and Aircrash Investigation on tv.

They're incredibly sad when covering fatal accidents but do highlight common mistakes or errors.

Anyway to brighten things up, here are some large scale models!