You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flying. Everything planes.

rb14

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Will be ace if \ when they restore this Lanc!

Mind blowing just how big they actually are.

There's only two in the world that are airworthy. The one with the BBMF and the other is in Canada.

I'd love to see a Stuka in the air but they're incredibly rare, even in museums.

3 hours ago, Preston Red said:

There's only two in the world that are airworthy. The one with the BBMF and the other is in Canada.

I'd love to see a Stuka in the air but they're incredibly rare, even in museums.

The BBMF one, City of Lincoln(?) flew over our house about 5 years ago with a Spit and Hurricane. Think they were coming back from a fly past up the coast between Southport and Blackpool.

The sound of at least 5 Merlins was awesome (not sure if the Hurricane has a Merlin engine as well!).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

The BBMF one, City of Lincoln(?) flew over our house about 5 years ago with a Spit and Hurricane. Think they were coming back from a fly past up the coast between Southport and Blackpool.

The sound of at least 5 Merlins was awesome (not sure if the Hurricane has a Merlin engine as well!).

Wonderful sound isn't it. I think the Hurricane does have a Merlin in. The sound is like music. The Merlin Mustangs are beautiful too. We had the Lanc over ours in 2018 on the Friday night for Southport. I honestly thought some big arsed motorbike was about to roar past ours.

One engine I would love to hear in person is the Daimler Benz DB601/605 that was in the 109s. That thing has a whistle to it that is very distinctive, from the vids I've seen.

One of the BBMF Spits has the Griffon engine. PS915 is the Griffon Spit. My dad made some of the parts to return that one to the skies. The apprentices at BAE Warton worked on her as a project but a lot of the machining was done at Wellfield Road machine shop at the old BAE Strand Road site in Preston.

There's another Lanc at East Kirby that they're trying to return to the skies. You can even have a "taxy experience" in it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

You mean Juan Browne, the airline captain although he's second seating 777s to get his captain's rating on them?

Yes. June Brown. Dot Cotton. Fucking hell I'd hate you to be flying my plane Dock. 

16 hours ago, Preston Red said:

Wonderful sound isn't it. I think the Hurricane does have a Merlin in. The sound is like music. The Merlin Mustangs are beautiful too. We had the Lanc over ours in 2018 on the Friday night for Southport. I honestly thought some big arsed motorbike was about to roar past ours.

One engine I would love to hear in person is the Daimler Benz DB601/605 that was in the 109s. That thing has a whistle to it that is very distinctive, from the vids I've seen.

One of the BBMF Spits has the Griffon engine. PS915 is the Griffon Spit. My dad made some of the parts to return that one to the skies. The apprentices at BAE Warton worked on her as a project but a lot of the machining was done at Wellfield Road machine shop at the old BAE Strand Road site in Preston.

There's another Lanc at East Kirby that they're trying to return to the skies. You can even have a "taxy experience" in it. 

Amazing stuff! Yeah I thought there was another Lanc being restored somewhere in England but couldnt remember where. I think they are a couple of old farmers although very good machinists and restorers.

Soz, out of juice for a while but will be back!

On 10/04/2022 at 17:07, Preston Red said:

I wouldn't like to see a Stuka in a screaming dive though while waiting on a beach. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Preston Red said:

Certainly wouldn't be an ideal setting.

Can you imagine forming an orderly queue waiting to get off that Dunkirk beach or any where else for that matter. 

Guernica was the first to receive what horrors the Stuka could unleash in the Spanish Civil War i believe, a test run if you will. 

A good looking plane though. 

4 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Can you imagine forming an orderly queue waiting to get off that Dunkirk beach or any where else for that matter. 

Guernica was the first to receive what horrors the Stuka could unleash in the Spanish Civil War i believe, a test run if you will. 

I could only describe that as hell on earth. Just sitting ducks who were open to all kinds of attack. Heinkels were also used to attack the troops.

It certainly is a good looking plane alongside the 109, just not very agile and was easy prey for the RAF.

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

Absolutely could not imagine it.

The Stuka used to have a device fitted to it to give it its characteristic howl in a dive and frighten the shit out of those beneath it.

2 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

It’s massive, 6 huge hangers and mostly deserted particularly during term time. Got virtually every significant European military aircraft ever made. Probably my favourite museum and completely free. 

Nice one chief. I'll give it a ganders at some point soon.

On 10/04/2022 at 09:07, Preston Red said:

Flying Heritage Collection in Everett, Washington. Amazing place....

https://flyingheritage.org/Explore/The-Collection/Germany/Junkers-Ju-87-R-4-Stuka.aspx

• Like 1

I’m listening to an audiobook called Juno Beach about Canada’s involvement leading up to June 6th 1944. One chapter focused on Royal Canadian Airforce’s contribution pre D Day and mentions the intruder squadrons. Mostly Mosquitos.

Found this short article about them, in PDF format. 

https://www.flightjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Hunting-the-Hunters.pdf

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1