You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flying. Everything planes.

rb14

8 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Not necessarily. If it's got into a stall and in sheer panic, the pilots are holding full up on the yoke and it's not in a flat spin, it's going straight down. Alternatively, if part of the tail plane or rudder has broken off, the aircraft cannot fly so again, can go straight down.

Im not certain if Juan Browne will be covering this but I'll keep an eye out for any video.

Aah ok cool (well not cool but you know what I mean) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Not necessarily. If it's got into a stall and in sheer panic, the pilots are holding full up on the yoke and it's not in a flat spin, it's going straight down. Alternatively, if part of the tail plane or rudder has broken off, the aircraft cannot fly so again, can go straight down.

Not sure I'm quite with you on this. A stall just won't give a prolonged period of plummeting, nose-now. The video I saw (at this time unconfirmed as the plane in question) showed a vertical, nose-down descent. I believe it was at TOD - top of descent immediately prior to the crash; a very unlikely place for a stall. I'm guessing a major structural component failure (particularly empennage), hijacking, or worse. 

22 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Not sure I'm quite with you on this. A stall just won't give a prolonged period of plummeting, nose-now. The video I saw (at this time unconfirmed as the plane in question) showed a vertical, nose-down descent. I believe it was at TOD - top of descent immediately prior to the crash; a very unlikely place for a stall. I'm guessing a major structural component failure (particularly empennage), hijacking, or worse. 

Of course the other causes you mention are possible. The flight plan shows the aircraft wasnt that far from it's destination when the disaster happened so Im not inclined to think hijacking or mass suicide at this stage just yet.

At this stage, we just dont know. If there's been a sudden decompression at altitude or the pilots have become incapacitated, anything could have happened.

The vid only shows the last few seconds of flight so we dont know whether the aircraft was doing prior to this or what it's attitude was.

Yes, I agree if a flight surface has come away or got jammed in a way that affects flight performance, this could have been the cause.

Im not an expert by any stretch, just offering potential causes. Hopefully Juan Browne will cover this on his channel and offer some insight.

Whatever the cause, it's a tragedy.

29 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I still don't get what Dot Cotton will know about all this but I'm willing to at least her her out 

Hehe, Juan Browne, has the Blancolirio YT channel. He's an airline captain although 2nd seat on 777's (I think). Gives a pilot's insight on aviation and air accidents.

44 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I'm going to hazard a guess that the plant crash yesterday was another suicide by the pilot. 

There's no other logical reason for the plane to nose dive at such a high speed I'd imagine. 

If not, then I'm never getting on a boeing ever again. 

I agree. Far too vertical a dive with the wings in-tact to make sense 

5 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

I'm going to hazard a guess that the plant crash yesterday was another suicide by the pilot. 

There's no other logical reason for the plane to nose dive at such a high speed I'd imagine. 

He's had two suicides?  Bagsy not getting on the plane for his next one.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

I'm not sure I would get on a Boeing after the recent Netflix documentary on their shoddy practices anyhow.

Going on a mileage run next month to requalify for Air Canada status.

Seven flights over two days, 6000 miles across Canada and back. 45 minutes at my destination, then back on the plane I flew in on to return home.

Any excuse to fly.

No flights on the 737-800, one on the 737-MAX.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

Seven flights over two days, 6000 miles across Canada and back. 45 minutes at my destination, then back on the plane I flew in on to return home.

Any excuse to fly.

Nice one mate. I'll say a prayer for you as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

Any excuse to fly.

Can I have your miles when you crash? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Juan Browne gives an overview of a recent tragic accident in the US regarding a tail boom strike in a heli resulting in 2 fatalities.

Ive seen the vid of the actual incident but not posting a link. It's on YT if anyone did want to view.

Initially, I thought it was a Robinson R22 as the picture isnt clear and it turns out to be the bigger R44. As Juan says, the R22 / 44 family are used a lot for heli training but to me, it looks such an ungainly heli with the huge main mast tower.

As I understand even on fullsize helis, when you totally lose tail rotor authority, the pilot should disengage the motor power which removes the torque effects that the tail rotor would normally cancel so the heli wouldnt spin uncontrolably. If a 'boom strike' slices the tail rotor off, Im not certain whether going into auto rotation mode would stop the spinning.

The video of the out of control heli isnt nice to watch especially when you know 2 people died. This isnt shown in juan's video.

RIP to the 2 people on board.

A Seafire war plane has taken to the skies again, 49 years after being hauled out of a scrapyard in a derelict state. 

The Seafire MKXVII was flown at RNAS Yeovilton, Somerset, on Tuesday after it became the latest addition to the Navy Wings Heritage Centre. 

The aircraft is the Royal Navy version of the Spitfire and this is the only airworthy MkXVII and one of only two flying Seafires in the world.

The Seafire was discontinued in 1953 and this particular model was scrapped around the same time.

It was not until 1973, almost 20 years later, that it was re-discovered in a derelict state in a scrapyard in Warrington by Peter Arnold, a Spitfire historian. 

In 2001, the plane was purchased by Tim Manna, a former US Navy pilot, and restored to full flying condition by Kennet Aviation at North Weald.

In November 2021, Navy Wings, which works to preserve Britain’s naval aviation heritage, bought the aircraft.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/04/06/pictured-seafire-seaplane-flies-49-years-hauled-scrapyard/

• Upvote 2

Had two RAF F-35Bs over Preston and Warton the last couple of days. Given how close we are to LFA7 and LFA17, it's surprising how little we see of RAF frontliners.

True to form though, I was stuck in work and they never came over Samlesbury, not even a sniff of a pass over the old runway. Mind you, the miserable old bastard farmer who lives at one end of it and the NIMBYs in Mellor Brook put a stop to the Typhoon test flights coming over a few years back.