You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flying. Everything planes.

rb14

1 hour ago, Chairman Meow said:

Is RIOT01 the display Typhoon that does the air shows etc?

If so there is a strong possibility that it's my cousin flying it in that video of yours Roger. 

Sainty?

It was an air to air photoshoot and Centre of Aviation Photography were involved too.

Rumours of £1500-£2000 per head.

The Typhoon Display team released the images on Battle of Britain Day and they're amazing shots. Proper bucket-list tackle is the air-to-air gig with a frontliner.

If any of you are on Instagram, give hesja.pl a follow. His shots are unreal.

2 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

Is RIOT01 the display Typhoon that does the air shows etc?

If so there is a strong possibility that it's my cousin flying it in that video of yours Roger. 

Wow, that's ultra-cool. Are you going to ask your cousin? And I've no idea what that Typhoon normally does. I do know it gave me the better part of an hour's entertainment I'd have happily paid for. 

6 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

It was an air to air photoshoot and Centre of Aviation Photography were involved too.

What I'd have given to be in that Cessna. 

What does "Sainty?" mean? 

Just now, Chairman Meow said:

Yes.

That'll be him then as RIOT01.

Not had the chance to see a display at an airshow this year but saw a display practice at Coningsby in June. He went up in the reserve jet ZJ942 as opposed to Blackjack. The amount of mingebags whinging that he didn't go up in the display jet was ridiculous. At least they saw a Typhoon display, whereas most of the country haven't seen one for two years.

Great display too as he really threw it around and was able to show off exactly what it's capable of. Got some pics somewhere of that day so I'll dig them out for you.

2 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

That'll be him then as RIOT01.

Not had the chance to see a display at an airshow this year but saw a display practice at Coningsby in June. He went up in the reserve jet ZJ942 as opposed to Blackjack. The amount of mingebags whinging that he didn't go up in the display jet was ridiculous. At least they saw a Typhoon display, whereas most of the country haven't seen one for two years.

Great display too as he really threw it around and was able to show off exactly what it's capable of. Got some pics somewhere of that day so I'll dig them out for you.

I'd mentioned to my mother about Roger's video and that it might be him. I wasn't sure if they have a couple of display pilots so there is some cover. Discussing anything about it with him is like pulling teeth, he's the most understated, non boastful person you could ever meet as far as this stuff is concerned. 

She was saying he's been asking for his time on displays to be extended as obviously with Covid he's not done the number of shows he'd normally have expected to do.

2 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Wow, that's ultra-cool. Are you going to ask your cousin? And I've no idea what that Typhoon normally does. I do know it gave me the better part of an hour's entertainment I'd have happily paid for. 

What I'd have given to be in that Cessna. 

What does "Sainty?" mean? 

Me too. What an experience it must have been to be so close to the Typhoon as it's in the air.

1 minute ago, Chairman Meow said:

I'd mentioned to my mother about Roger's video and that it might be him. I wasn't sure if they have a couple of display pilots so there is some cover. 

She was saying he's been asking for his time on displays to be extended as obviously with Covid he's not done the number of shows he'd normally have expected to do.

That'd be superb if he gets to extend it. Jim Petersons got to extend his as the pilot after him suffered an injury IIRC.

I think it was him as somebody leaked a couple of pictures a day early and he wasn't happy about it on one of the Typhoon Display fan pages on FaceAIDS.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, rb14 said:

@Chairman Meow can you please ask your cousin whether marriage to me is an option? I'm happy to pay.

I'll probably not see him till Christmas. 

Although, if there is cash involved, once I get the Group A Nova built I'll happily do some hand brake turns and a lot of slides on gravel then let you bum me afterwards for about £50 and a free ARDS session. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

I'll probably not see him till Christmas. 

Although, if there is cash involved, once I get the Group A Nova built I'll happily do some hand brake turns and a lot of slides on gravel then let you bum me afterwards for about £50 and a free ARDS session. 

Deal. There's £4950 staying in my bank.

• Like 1

Rolls Royce wins contract to build new engines for US B-52s. Fucking awesome plane even if it is a weapon of war. 70 years old and still airworthy.

RR has defeated American rivals to win a contract to supply engines for the US Air Force’s B-52 bombers in a deal worth up to $2.6bn (£1.9bn).

The engineering giant fended off competition from the incumbent Pratt & Whitney as well as General Electric to win the high-profile contract after a tender process that spanned several years.

The win sent shares up more than 9pc to their highest level since June 2020, making it the biggest riser on the FTSE 100, but remain below their pre-pandemic high.

The F130 engines, to be made at Rolls' Indianapolis factory, were chosen to replace the bombers’ engines in an initial six-year deal worth $500m. This could rise to $2.6bn if all options are exercised.

The US Air Force plans to keep its B-52 Stratofortress aircraft in operation until about 2050 and the engine replacements form part of a wider $11bn upgrade plan.

Tom Bell, chief executive of Rolls-Royce North America, said: “The F130 is a proven, efficient, modern engine that is the perfect fit for the B-52.”

The B-52 is the US Air Force’s oldest bomber and flew its first missions during the Cold War in the 1950s carrying nuclear bombs. Nicknamed BUFF – Big Ugly Fat Fellow – it was most recently deployed to help the US withdraw from Afghanistan.

Rolls-Royce said it had invested $600m in its Indianapolis site, where 650 engines will be manufactured. The contract win will also create 150 new jobs in the area.

The British group has been a supplier to the US Air Force for more than 70 years, making engines for jets including the Osprey and Global Hawk.

The win came as Rolls-Royce finalised the €1.7bn sale of its ITP Aero division to a consortium of buyers led by private equity firm Bain Capital.

It had been in exclusive talks with Bain since last month over the sale of the Spanish aircraft engine unit, which makes jets for fighters such as the Typhoon as well as turbines used to power airliners such as the Airbus A350.

The consortium also includes Madrid-based JB Capital and industrial group Sapa, with other local industrial partners expected to join next year.

The sale of ITP, which is based in Spain’s Basque region, has proven politically sensitive due to the area's separatist history.

The deal includes agreements to keep the company as an independent entity led by current boss Carlos Alzola, with headquarters to remain in Zamudio, near Bilbao.

The sale forms a key part of plans outlined by Warren East, Rolls-Royce chief executive, to make disposals worth £2bn by March 2022.

The company recently sold its Bergen marine engines operation, as well as its stake in Air Tanker, which provides in-flight refuelling services for the RAF.

The disposals are intended to shore up Rolls-Royce’s balance sheet after a collapse in air travel during the pandemic left the FTSE 100 firm scrambling for cash.

The engineer raised more than £7bn in emergency funding last year, while it announced plans to cut roughly 9,000 jobs – almost a fifth of its global workforce – to help slash costs.

Mr East said: "Today's announcement is a significant milestone for our disposal programme as we work to strengthen our balance sheet, in support of our medium-term ambition to return to an investment grade credit profile."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/09/27/rolls-royce-nails-contract-b-52-bomber-engines/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Rolls Royce wins contract to build new engines for US B-52s. Fucking awesome plane even if it is a weapon of war. 70 years old and still airworthy.

RR has defeated American rivals to win a contract to supply engines for the US Air Force’s B-52 bombers in a deal worth up to $2.6bn (£1.9bn).

The engineering giant fended off competition from the incumbent Pratt & Whitney as well as General Electric to win the high-profile contract after a tender process that spanned several years.

The win sent shares up more than 9pc to their highest level since June 2020, making it the biggest riser on the FTSE 100, but remain below their pre-pandemic high.

The F130 engines, to be made at Rolls' Indianapolis factory, were chosen to replace the bombers’ engines in an initial six-year deal worth $500m. This could rise to $2.6bn if all options are exercised.

The US Air Force plans to keep its B-52 Stratofortress aircraft in operation until about 2050 and the engine replacements form part of a wider $11bn upgrade plan.

Tom Bell, chief executive of Rolls-Royce North America, said: “The F130 is a proven, efficient, modern engine that is the perfect fit for the B-52.”

The B-52 is the US Air Force’s oldest bomber and flew its first missions during the Cold War in the 1950s carrying nuclear bombs. Nicknamed BUFF – Big Ugly Fat Fellow – it was most recently deployed to help the US withdraw from Afghanistan.

Rolls-Royce said it had invested $600m in its Indianapolis site, where 650 engines will be manufactured. The contract win will also create 150 new jobs in the area.

The British group has been a supplier to the US Air Force for more than 70 years, making engines for jets including the Osprey and Global Hawk.

The win came as Rolls-Royce finalised the €1.7bn sale of its ITP Aero division to a consortium of buyers led by private equity firm Bain Capital.

It had been in exclusive talks with Bain since last month over the sale of the Spanish aircraft engine unit, which makes jets for fighters such as the Typhoon as well as turbines used to power airliners such as the Airbus A350.

The consortium also includes Madrid-based JB Capital and industrial group Sapa, with other local industrial partners expected to join next year.

The sale of ITP, which is based in Spain’s Basque region, has proven politically sensitive due to the area's separatist history.

The deal includes agreements to keep the company as an independent entity led by current boss Carlos Alzola, with headquarters to remain in Zamudio, near Bilbao.

The sale forms a key part of plans outlined by Warren East, Rolls-Royce chief executive, to make disposals worth £2bn by March 2022.

The company recently sold its Bergen marine engines operation, as well as its stake in Air Tanker, which provides in-flight refuelling services for the RAF.

The disposals are intended to shore up Rolls-Royce’s balance sheet after a collapse in air travel during the pandemic left the FTSE 100 firm scrambling for cash.

The engineer raised more than £7bn in emergency funding last year, while it announced plans to cut roughly 9,000 jobs – almost a fifth of its global workforce – to help slash costs.

Mr East said: "Today's announcement is a significant milestone for our disposal programme as we work to strengthen our balance sheet, in support of our medium-term ambition to return to an investment grade credit profile."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2021/09/27/rolls-royce-nails-contract-b-52-bomber-engines/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr

Saw a B52 close up at Duxford. Couldn't believe how small it is. Something like a 737 would absolutely dwarf it.

No fucking messing with these RAF lads and in flight refuelling! More a Royal Navy man myself but the old girl's arl fella was RAF and I know skill when I see it.

USAF cant do this very well and have to have a boom probe moved into place from the tanker but these RAF lads are on blob.

Not sure what tanker they're using as they used to wind out a hose on the wing. But this looks like it's out of the rear of the tanker and once they're hooked up, actually fly in closer to the tanker to get out of turbulance maybe?

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

No fucking messing with these RAF lads and in flight refuelling! More a Royal Navy man myself but the old girl's arl fella was RAF and I know skill when I see it.

USAF cant do this very well and have to have a boom probe moved into place from the tanker but these RAF lads are on blob.

Not sure what tanker they're using as they used to wind out a hose on the wing. But this looks like it's out of the rear of the tanker and once they're hooked up, actually fly in closer to the tanker to get out of turbulance maybe?

Enjoy!

Maybe at the end they need to be close to avoid those 'wake vortices' that come from bigger aeroplane's wings and can cause problems to the smaller planes?