You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flying. Everything planes.

rb14

Had myself a little trip down to RAF Coningsby in June after finishing a week on Sun, Mon, Tues shift at work. If you want to see frontline RAF jets up close and the possibility of Spits, Hurricanes and a Lanc then you can't beat a trip down there. So many good viewing points and wall to wall Typhoon action.

Typhoon Display 3 02062021 WM.jpg

Typhoon Display 2 02062021 WM.jpg

29 Sqn ZJ942 Typhoon Display 1 WM.jpg

ZK379 41 Sqn Typhoon CGY 02062021 WM.jpg

ZK383 12Sqn Typhoon CGY 02062021 WM.jpg

ZJ923 Typhoon CGY 1 02062021 WM.jpg

29 Sqn Typhoon 4 CGY 02062021 WM.jpg

ZK346 Typhoon CGY 02062021.jpg

IMG_20210604_004924_226.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

Amazing aren't they. I was quite close when I took those pics and the reheat take offs gave my ear drums a proper rattle.

I was getting some gear ready on the pan one day when the ground crew ran the engine up on one. Thought my ear drums were going to burst. Almost as loud as a Status Quo gig.

• Upvote 1

Saw the Rafale at RIAT in 2018. They had a solo display late on but early in the day there was a synchro display with two French Navy Rafales.

Amazing jets and I'd say on a par with the Typhoon. I'm currently reading a book on the Typhoon prototype (EAP) and it details in there how the French were involved in the Typhoon programme in the early stages but pulled out due to the lack of enthusiasm for a carrier variant.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Nah. That's only a model. The Shukhoi is  a genuine plane

. If it's models you like - this unfortunately has an unhappy ending!

Nah mate, that 'shukhoi' doing the vectored thrust is a radio controlled model as well. And I think it's a Chengdu J20 or maybe a Rafale.

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Those magnificent men in their flying machines, they go..........Hmmm. I admire their tenacity but these look like death traps!

Brilliant video that, well done mate. I don't think they are ready to compete in the world market with the likes of Boeing just yet!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Anubis said:

Highly enjoyable watching them shit it and duck.

Looks like Coningsby does that.

Last week, a Typhoon squawked an emergency and had to use the arrestor hook. People thought it was a good idea to stand under line of approach and film it going over their heads.

The amount of wankers on FaceAIDS who don't like their own stupidity pointing out to them is astounding. 

• 1 month later...

This is quite cool. I flew up to a tiny little grass strip yesterday. I don't know whether any of you are aware, but the vast majority of General Aviation (i.e. Private) flying is navigated using amazing moving map software called SkyDemon. The founder Tim Dawson was awarded an OBE for his efforts. Anyway when I'm back on terra firma (which has been the endgame of every flight I've completed, so far) I'm able to review the flight in all its glory. 

I'm going to try and attach a couple of links to my Google Drive which, I hope, means any saddos like me on here can download and load into Google Maps Pro (PC). You can see the flight, warts and all. Track and elevation.

Let me know if it works for you. I think it's fascinating.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GNJ_Y0DeWNpPv0QlEfJwF39rYwnqO-ub/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18uST2exocCyeNbRtu_fxTYrmVse7g7dj/view?usp=sharing

• Upvote 2

On 21/09/2021 at 18:54, rb14 said:

LFA17? Pah. Popped out in this Sting S3 today. South Coast between 500 and 4500. Got up to 130 knots in a steep dive! Fab day for it. 

IMG-20210920-WA0042.jpg

Used to spend 9 hours a day in LFA13. Wasn't flying in it tho'.

Sorted, respect due.

X

• Upvote 1