You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flying. Everything planes.

rb14

I do quite a lot of stuff with my X-Plane sim. It's the 182 with the Garmin G1000s, and I have the yoke, pedals throttle quadrant and autopilot. The ability to generate weather means I can practice full IMC conditions, flying ILS procedures to land. Those procedures are sooooo tricky, just the airfield plate is like double bloody dutch. The more I practice on the sim, the easier it gets. 

One of the ace free mods on X-Plane is having live air traffic. I was preparing for takeoff at London City (pic below) earlier, and I saw a plane in the air to my West. I suspected it was heading to Heathrow. I immediately changed my location to Heathrow and five minutes later, the same plane came in to land. Correcte plane, type, call-sign, livery, runway, the lot. I went on Heathrow's Live Arrivals and the board had just been updated showing that very flight had landed. How clever is that? There's a site where you can even practice communicating by radio with Air Traffic Controllers, lodge flight plans, the lot. Radio comms is another really demanding part of aviation. Triple dutch:

Farnborough Radar, Golf Hotel Romeo November Delta for a Traffic Service.

Golf November Delta pass your message.

Golf November Delta is a Cessna 182 from Denham to Denham VFR, routing via the Daventry VOR. Overhead Buckingham 2300 feet climbing 2500 on QNH 1005 requesting a Traffic Service.

Golf November Delta squawk 3053 QNH 1006.

3053 1006 Golf November Delta.

Golf November Delta identified. Reduced Traffic Service due to controller workload. Report established 2800. 

Report established 2800, Reduced Traffic Service Golf November Delta.

Load of old bollocks.

PXL_20210105_183744034.jpg

PXL_20210213_161601770.jpg

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Preston Red said:

YERRRRRRRRRSSSSSS

Can't beat model building. Melts away any bad vibes just sitting at a desk and building a good kit.

Wow. What scale is the Lancaster? Tamiya are usually spot on with their kits although I've just discovered the Eduard kits.

BF 109F recently completed

20210110_203411

Current BF 109E-7 on the bench

20210206_101815

You're a pro compared to me, but it's all fun. Wish my eyes worked better though.

Lancaster is 1/48, or huge in layman's terms.

1 hour ago, neko said:

You're a pro compared to me, but it's all fun. Wish my eyes worked better though.

Lancaster is 1/48, or huge in layman's terms.

Jesus!!! That is massive and probably cost a Bob or two as well. I've seen one advertised at a model shop I go to in Wigan, RRP £400 but he's doing it at £350 in 1/32 scale.

No way I could get away with hiding that in the stash hahaha.

1 hour ago, rb14 said:

I do quite a lot of stuff with my X-Plane sim. It's the 182 with the Garmin G1000s, and I have the yoke, pedals throttle quadrant and autopilot. The ability to generate weather means I can practice full IMC conditions, flying ILS procedures to land. Those procedures are sooooo tricky, just the airfield plate is like double bloody dutch. The more I practice on the sim, the easier it gets. 

One of the ace free mods on X-Plane is having live air traffic. I was preparing for takeoff at London City (pic below) earlier, and I saw a plane in the air to my West. I suspected it was heading to Heathrow. I immediately changed my location to Heathrow and five minutes later, the same plane came in to land. Correcte plane, type, call-sign, livery, runway, the lot. I went on Heathrow's Live Arrivals and the board had just been updated showing that very flight had landed. How clever is that? There's a site where you can even practice communicating by radio with Air Traffic Controllers, lodge flight plans, the lot. Radio comms is another really demanding part of aviation. Triple dutch:

Farnborough Radar, Golf Hotel Romeo November Delta for a Traffic Service.

Golf November Delta pass your message.

Golf November Delta is a Cessna 182 from Denham to Denham VFR, routing via the Daventry VOR. Overhead Buckingham 2300 feet climbing 2500 on QNH 1005 requesting a Traffic Service.

Golf November Delta squawk 3053 QNH 1006.

3053 1006 Golf November Delta.

Golf November Delta identified. Reduced Traffic Service due to controller workload. Report established 2800. 

Report established 2800, Reduced Traffic Service Golf November Delta.

Load of old bollocks.

PXL_20210105_183744034.jpg

PXL_20210213_161601770.jpg

That is awesome. I'd love to set something up like that but I don't have the room.

1 hour ago, Preston Red said:

Jesus!!! That is massive and probably cost a Bob or two as well. I've seen one advertised at a model shop I go to in Wigan, RRP £400 but he's doing it at £350 in 1/32 scale.

No way I could get away with hiding that in the stash hahaha.

Just wait until we start a modeling thread, where I'll introduce you to my 1:200 naval collection, including the Bismarck and Yorktown. They're 5'-0" long.

Not building those until I move/retire.

4 hours ago, neko said:

Just wait until we start a modeling thread, where I'll introduce you to my 1:200 naval collection, including the Bismarck and Yorktown. They're 5'-0" long.

Not building those until I move/retire.

Hahaha. Now that's commitment.

I couldn't do a ship as I don't have the patience nor the room for it but I have loads of respect for people who do them. I even shit out of buying a 1/24 Stuka because the wingspan was 750mm.

I did my flying training at Speke many years ago with Jim Keen. Loved every minute of it. Tried aerobatics out of Blackpool with ComEd Aviation just before Andy Wallbridge was tragically killed in Delta Yankee.  Eventually had to give up due to bastard marriage, bastard property ladder, bastard redundancies, bastard kids, not forgetting the bastard cost!  Flew PA28's Cessna 150,152,172 and the odd Grumman AA-5.  Last time I flew anything I took a Piper Warrior (VH-PYI) up for an hour from Coolangatta in Queensland.  Won't be doing anymore now cos I doubt if I'd pass the medical. ........oh halogen days1372367470_22933_14699505182.thumb.jpg.39bbb6b6858c3b28ab1e16f786a273c4.jpgmy cousins mates dad used to own this Auster based at Leicester.

1706f_pf_firstac_16x9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

An American Airlines passenger flight over New Mexico reportedly had an encounter with an unidentified flying object (UFO) on Sunday, February 21. In an audio transmission recorded by Steven Douglas on his blog, the pilot was heard saying that the unidentified object was flying right on top of them.

'I hate to say this but it looked like a long cylindrical object that almost looked like a cruise missile type of thing moving really fast right over the top of us,' the pilot said

7 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

An American Airlines passenger flight over New Mexico reportedly had an encounter with an unidentified flying object (UFO) on Sunday, February 21. In an audio transmission recorded by Steven Douglas on his blog, the pilot was heard saying that the unidentified object was flying right on top of them.

'I hate to say this but it looked like a long cylindrical object that almost looked like a cruise missile type of thing moving really fast right over the top of us,' the pilot said

Breathalyser needed.