You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Flying. Everything planes.

rb14

There's no thread on here about flying. Flying is ace and aeroplanes are even acerer. Aircrash investigation is the nuts.

Here are a couple of fab pics. One is of my mate's twin interior. Years ago I did I full-on simulator in a 737. I could have spent all day just flicking the 4,00,035 switches on the various consoles. His dash reminds me of that.

IMG_20200714_143700.jpg

The other is the Garmin G1000 "glass cockpit". 

IMG_20200906_112156.jpg

And the first fucker to post a picture of a woodworking implement gets a thunder-neg.

• Upvote 1

I love it though nervously when taking off and landing but when it's cruising it's great looking out the window, though if you're near a wing and can see the engine you can become a bit fixated on a particular bolt hoping that it's been screwed on tight. 

Flying over Greenland once I mentioned how great it looked, all white and silver grey, she reckoned I might be able to see a Polar Bear, how the fuck could I see a white Bear from 40.000 ft whatever, it might have blood on it came the reply, fucksake.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, neko said:

What do you humans think of Microsoft Flight simulator ? I'm curious to try, but worry I'd never stop flying it.

Remember downloading a version of it many moons ago. The instructions for which keyboard combination does what ran to over 3 pages. I felt like Ted Striker staring at the cockpit display in Airplane!

UniqueSelfishChinesecrocodilelizard-size

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, neko said:

What do you humans think of Microsoft Flight simulator ? I'm curious to try, but worry I'd never stop flying it.

I use X-plane 11. I'm currently prevented from doing my IMC rating because of lockdown (for the second time I ask you) and use x-plane a lot. Brilliant for simulating instrument flying. MS Flight Sim is also great. In a year or so it will almost undoubtedly take over from x-plane but for now, x-plane has so many mods and developments available, MS Flight Sim can't quite compete. 

29 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Thought this would be rb14  talking about when he could get his private jet out again!

Nah, it's not a jet. I sooooo wish. Jets are actually not out of reach, particularly on a share basis. And don't forget a turboprop is a jet - with a prop glued on the front.

21 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Seeing Concorde take off was spectacular.

Fixed that for you. Unfortunately.

24 minutes ago, rb14 said:

I use X-plane 11. I'm currently prevented from doing my IMC rating because of lockdown (for the second time I ask you) and use x-plane a lot. Brilliant for simulating instrument flying. MS Flight Sim is also great. In a year or so it will almost undoubtedly take over from x-plane but for now, x-plane has so many mods and developments available, MS Flight Sim can't quite compete. 

Nah, it's not a jet. I sooooo wish. Jets are actually not out of reach, particularly on a share basis. And don't forget a turboprop is a jet - with a prop glued on the front.

Fixed that for you. Unfortunately.

Yes, was. Watched it a few times, I was on a lengthy job in Reading once and it used to fly over about 1.00pm I think, all hands used to stop and look up.

5 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Yes, was. Watched it a few times, I was on a lengthy job in Reading once and it used to fly over about 1.00pm I think, all hands used to stop and look up.

When I worked in Staines it was the equivalent of the company whistle on a Friday.  It would go over and then everyone would,fuck off to the pub.  

• Upvote 2

Grew up wanting to be a pilot. Shortsightedness put a stop to that. 

Sat RAF entrance aptitude exam and fluked results so good I qualified to go forward and sit for being a Navigator.

It transpired that get to Runner up Gun academy, you needed 2 A levels, however, as I couldn’t wait to leave school with just my 3 grade C GSCE’s and I’d just turned 23 years old, I wouldn’t have made the cut off age to get it and got offered a job as technician instead.

My bird got pregnant and that was it then. They told me to come back after the nipper was born but by then I couldn’t be arsed.

Would love to know how it would have turned out though. 

So here I am living my other sunken dreams via this mutha 

EB2546FA-6167-44AC-9AA7-3154E2DB1237.jpeg

• Upvote 1