You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carragher: Liverpool need three signings to contend for title

TLW

On 09/02/2021 at 04:46, Red Shift said:

I still say Bobby will improve with the return of Hendo and Fab to midfield. He is badly in need of ‘service at pace’ & I’m convinced he’ll respond. As I’ve said on another thread, he doesn’t get service from TAA and Robbo as much as Sadio & Mo do.

I agree with a back up for VVD, who may have more injuries. I’ve also mentioned the fact that considering Hendo has finally found his mojo which was years in the making, and will need replacing at some point, if it took 6-7 yrs to develop Hendo into what he is, we’d better start recruiting or developing now. Who is Hendo’s replacement or ‘understudy’ ?? A player already in the squad, or not yet purchased.

Klopp must have an idea as to the next generation team that will spring out of the ashes of this one.

It's nonsense to suggest Henderson has "finally found his mojo". It was pretty much universally thought that his sending off against City in 13/14  had such a detrimental effect that it contributed hugely to us not winning the title.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, El Rojo said:

‘What Liverpool [PAUSE] *aren’t* doing [PAUSE] is winning matches. [STARE INTO MIDDLE DISTANCE] And maybe I’m wrong-gah, but to me that’s a key reason why they’re no longer top of the table.’ 

Great use of the McManaman pseudo-intellectual pronunciation there Rojo. I was a little unsure of your analytical authority until that point, but came to realise you really know what you're talking about.

i haven't had much time for a lot of what carragher has had to say since he came back from his spitting suspension, but I don't think what he has said is too far off the mark. 

Firstly, I think everyone would agree we need a centre back (and perhaps as carra says, he might already be at the club). Again, because of the injury records of both Matip and Gomez, it wouldn't be unreasonable to think of that player being someone to play with VVD rather than make up the numbers. 

Then if we look in midfield, we hopefully see Fabinho and Henderson back in there sooner rather than later, but there's no getting away from the fact Milner can't be far off retirement, Gini is going, henderson will be 31 and Thiago 30 by the time next season starts. Keita and Chamberlain perhaps could have helped solve that problem, but realistically imo, we again only need to look at their injury records to think it makes sense to get a lad in who can get in the team who's around 23-25 in age. 

Then up front - Origi doesn't contribute. I am not sure if we count Shaq in here or midfield, but he should be kept as he's a decent squad option, it's just an issue when Shaq starts becoming a regular 1st XI guy. I think we have already replaced Bobby with Jota, so next season will see Bobby phased out. But he'll still be a great squad player to have. If we could replace Origi with someone who can push Mane and Salah (who'll both be 29 by the time next season starts) - a similar level of profile signing as Jota. 

So for me the shopping list should have a 1st choice centre back and a midfielder and forward who come in with a similar background/profile to Jota. And we maybe get to add harvey elliot as a wild card. 

• Upvote 2

Some great points on here.

Pundits are paid for their opinions. Some are better than others yes, but they are never going to please everyone all the time, so will always get stick all the time.

On transfers, FSG have deservedly taken stick for the last window, they were far too slow/reluctant to act, but overall I'm fairly content with them.

It's all about how you'd like your club to be run. For me, I can't think of anything worse than being owned by a middle eastern country or a Russian drug dealer etc, with unlimited money and no soul.

5 hours ago, Total Longo said:

It's nonsense to suggest Henderson has "finally found his mojo". It was pretty much universally thought that his sending off against City in 13/14  had such a detrimental effect that it contributed hugely to us not winning the title.

My point still stands. He’s one of a core group of players who we miss badly when he’s not in the team. Who is his cover?

12 hours ago, Total Longo said:

You’ve only got to look at this thread - started in July 2015 , to see the division amongst fans on Henderson’s value. He’d already been at the club 4 yrs.

For the record, I’ve always supported him, on account of him coming in under Kenny, and I was one of those that felt Kenny should have gotten another season as Manager.

The real issue here for me, is that Captains don’t come along every season. A lot of Fans were of the opinion that Emre Can was our future captain, but it never happened. I wasn’t in that camp, but seriously, we need to be developing Hendo’s replacement for leader, based on timelines.