You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Curtis Jones

liverpoolsno9

4 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

It’s hard to dominate a midfield when there’s literally twice as many midfielders than you. Just ask the best defensive midfielder in the world who also had an off day.

they had 6 midfielders?  If that's the case, we had 5, as Mane and Jota did plenty of dropping back.

46 minutes ago, J-V said:

Jones was a passenger throughout.  A poor display like the other two in midfield.  He was less shit than Henderson and that’s about it.

He needs to be loaned out and the fact he gets games ahead of Keita and Ox says more about them than anything.  A combined £90m for the pair what a waste.

So he was less shit than Henderson, and gets ahead of Keita and Chamberlain. Leaving Fabinho, Thiago and Elliot injured currently and an ageing Milner so we loan Jones out and weaken ourselves more?

9 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

So he was less shit than Henderson, and gets ahead of Keita and Chamberlain. Leaving Fabinho, Thiago and Elliot injured currently and an ageing Milner so we loan Jones out and weaken ourselves more?

Obviously we can't loan him out as I've stated elsewhere due to Klopp/our owners not buying any other fucker leaving us short in midfield and having to rely on youngsters or two players who've proved they can't stay fit, Klopp doesn't trust and when they play they're crap anyway, Ox and Keita.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, J-V said:

Obviously we can't loan him out as I've stated elsewhere due to Klopp/our owners not buying any other fucker leaving as short in midfield and having to rely on youngsters or two players who've proved they can't stay fit, Klopp doesn't trust and when they play they're crap anyway, Ox and Keita.

Fair enough. I think he is better off here myself. Chamberlain especially is a complete waste who would buy him now.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Fair enough. I think he is better off here myself. Chamberlain especially is a complete waste who would buy him now.

At present with Elliot out for most of the season, Thiago always picking up injuries, Milner covering for Trent and the other two midfielders not trusted (need to be sold) he'll get game time here now so we'll see where he is by the end of the Season.  I also thought he should have wen't on loan last year ala Elliot.

9 minutes ago, J-V said:

At present with Elliot out for most of the season, Thiago always picking up injuries, Milner covering for Trent and the other two midfielders not trusted (need to be sold) he'll get game time here now so we'll see where he is by the end of the Season.  I also thought he should have wen't on loan last year ala Elliot.

Maybe last season as you say, the kid who came on at Norwich is a better option than Chamberlain already.

We have some excellent talent in the U21's , yet it seems it is so low in importance that the best we can find as a coach is an Irish yarddog from Everton. Not much of a drop off from Jurgen to Lee Carsley for Curtis.

Noticed Brewster got sent off in the glorious  1 0 win over Andorra.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Jones feels like what made him special is being coached out of him. That won't be the case but you get the sense of a player on a leash he may be holding it himself.  There's being disciplined and there's blunting your own threat. I just want to see more of that lad with the swagger. Im hoping it is coaching, that Klopp has told him I want to see you play a certain way up until a point that I don't want you too, so he develops his all around game a bit like making a player train using only his weaker foot the benefit being it makes them a more complete player.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Jones feels like what made him special is being coached out of him. That won't be the case but you get the sense of a player on a leash he may be holding it himself.  There's being disciplined and there's blunting your own threat. I just want to see more of that lad with the swagger. Im hoping it is coaching, that Klopp has told him I want to see you play a certain way up until a point that I don't want you too, so he develops his all around game a bit like making a player train using only his weaker foot the benefit being it makes them a more complete player.

He's struggling a bit with his responsibility to be a team player rather than an individual within a team. Everything you do in the younger age groups is to prepare you for the first team but you can't replicate exactly at that level. Stepping up requires discipline and doing some dirty work,especially off the ball and this is where,IMO,he cant quite produce the goods. Klopp demands a high work rate from our midfield but I think Jones is not quite getting to grips with this.

• Upvote 1

Seems to be a carbon copy of what happened to Shaq. Our set up does not allow for any flair in midfield really without buckets of sweat , and at present we are stacked with talent in the left forward position. It is painful to see the cogs in his head whirring around thinking about what Jurgen wants him to do before he does anything on the pitch, and it has made him half the player that burst onto the scene. The best solution for both might be to sell him in summer , he will flourish at a Villa where he is allowed to show his natural talent , while the funds received can go towards a special out and out midfielder that we need.

Klopp's quote in response to a James Pearce question during a press conference (during the 2021 summer window) in which Pearce asked about more goals from midfield/signing a goal scoring midfielder

"to score more goals from midfield you have to create the situations for that, so it's not that you can just say we need goals, a midfielder who plays for us in the way we play it's not that easy that he's constantly in goal scoring situations, they have to do different jobs, we have a specific set up of our team you see our fullbacks are usually in attacking moments, you see who's in the box. We could have scored more goals definitely yes but it's not about a different player it's about different positioning..."

Jones is transitioning from being one of the better players in his age group to being a good midfielder in a Liverpool team.

• Upvote 1

I think as one of our midfield 3 he will always be a squad player, his lack of instinct of when to pass and when to hold is a hinderence to our approach play.

I think for the sake of his career he should be loaned out or sold to help him become the player he could potentially become as there is a cracking player in there but we won't see it in our midfield as he has to be too disciplined.

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Great post.

He's playing within himself and needs to show the swagger and arrogance, the confidence we've seen flashes of.

Safety first possession football has it's place I suppose but it boils my piss. Like John Holmes with his knackers in his mum's handbag.

6 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Great post.

He's playing within himself and needs to show the swagger and arrogance, the confidence we've seen flashes of.

Safety first possession football has it's place I suppose but it boils my piss. Like John Holmes with his knackers in his mum's handbag.

It's partly a necessity of the way we play.

Although the 'base' formation is always described as a 4-3-3 the reality is we play a 2-3-5 in possession same as Man City, Chelsea are slightly different because of the extra centre back but the fundamentals are the same with solid block of 5 players in a 3-2-5.

For us the 5 is the 2 centre backs and the 3 midfielders, for City it's two centre backs a midfielder and inverted full backs and for Chelsea it's 3 centre backs and two midfielders.

Our attacking 5 is then made up of our front 3 and two full backs to maximise our strengths, City have the front three and two midfielders and Chelsea have the front three and two full backs.

Decent write up of it here

Only just turned 21, still plenty of time for him to take that next step. Must be tough to burst through though, then have to rein yourself in as you learn the tactical side of the elite game. But, that's what's required of top level players, it's what separates those who apply themselves and learn new skills - like Wijnaldum did - from those who stagnate as they just want to play a free AM role, like Dele Alli.

Hope this is just growing pains for him as a player.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Best move for him would be Villa because Gerrard knows his abilities.

Hes got bags of ability but he’s the wrong fit and I see it becoming even more difficult to get in now Elliott is back tbh.

I really rate Curtis Jones bit as being said on here his responsibilities are different in a Liverpool midfield, it’s almost like he’s being held back.