You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Curtis Jones

liverpoolsno9

3 hours ago, stringvest said:

Thiago has had many better games than that Jones played the other night.  I'm saying that as a big fan of Jones.

He's certainly had his moments but not too many occasions where he bossed the game for 90mins- dont get me wrong, Thiago is someone I desperately want to see succeed and can clearly see the enormous talent he is- just not sure he will ever string enough games together    

Feel sorry for him here. The kids trying to keep some semblance of shape against 6 of the most talented midfielders in Europe while he had nothing in front of him on his side of the pitch that could hold the ball up and had his captain running round the pitch like he’d just escaped over the fence from Ashworth. 

There was a lot of experience on our team today who offered a lot less than him. 

2 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Feel sorry for him here. The kids trying to keep some semblance of shape against 6 of the most talented midfielders in Europe while he had nothing in front of him on his side of the pitch that could hold the ball up and had his captain running round the pitch like he’d just escaped over the fence from Ashworth. 

There was a lot of experience on our team today who offered a lot less than him. 

He’s looked a better player than Henderson so far this season. Completely different players, so normally a bit hard to compare, but based on this season only Jones looks the better option,

3 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I'd argue Jones was the best of the three midfielders today. More to do with the below par performance of the other two.  

Yeah, I'd agree with this. Wasn't great but he was miles above the absolute horror show that Henderson put on in that first half.

Edit: just to add, this game has me thinking about Harvey Elliott. I just have a sneaky feeling that we were planning to lean on him a bit more than any of us were really thinking. I'm not sure of his ability to show it against midfielders of the quality of City's, but his forward-thinking aggression was missed today. Curtis came the closest of the players on the pitch to showing it but we really retreated into our shells a bit when the chips were down.

35 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

It’s hard to dominate a midfield when there’s literally twice as many midfielders than you. Just ask the best defensive midfielder in the world who also had an off day.

Spot on. Although I'm not really sure what Lazio's result has to do with us.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, El Dangerous said:

It’s hard to dominate a midfield when there’s literally twice as many midfielders than you. Just ask the best defensive midfielder in the world who also had an off day.

Fabinho has been well below par all season. He's so good though that his 60-70% is still good enough most of the time.

9 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I'd argue Jones was the best of the three midfielders today. More to do with the below par performance of the other two.  

I don't think there's a doubt he was the best of the 3. Fab was way off his best and that performance from Henderson is as bad as it gets imo. The big issue Jones had yesterday was he was clearly a bit overawed and in an effort not to fuck up, just played safe side and backwards pass way too often, especially in the 1st half. 

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He's not ready to be a regular yet. But because of how awful Keita and Ox are and the lack of midfield options he is starting way more than he should.

I think he's on the edge of that now and maybe all he needs are the games. It shows what a complete waste of a shirt keita and Chamberlain are that they're not even options to replace him (or Henderson) on days where nobody midfield has had a good game. 

Jones was a passenger throughout.  A poor display like the other two in midfield.  He was less shit than Henderson and that’s about it.

He needs to be loaned out and the fact he gets games ahead of Keita and Ox says more about them than anything.  A combined £90m for the pair what a waste.

• Downvote 2

11 hours ago, aRdja said:

An awful day at the office today, but he was up against the very best. He’s still young and I’m confident he will bounce back from this.

I think that’s unfair personally. I thought he - like most - was much improved second half and he was getting on the ball more and offering something.

he wasn’t great by any stretch and it’s not a performance you’ll remember if he goes onto become a class player, but he was fine second half, shite first.

edit: over 90 mins he was our best midfielder.

• Upvote 1

Was surprised to see he's averaging a goal/assist every three appearances, and one every 2 on a per 90 basis. I know a lot of that is against the weaker sides, but it's encouraging and shows he deserves these opportunities. Just needs to rise to them.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Was surprised to see he's averaging a goal/assist every three appearances, and one every 2 on a per 90 basis. I know a lot of that is against the weaker sides, but it's encouraging and shows he deserves these opportunities. Just needs to rise to them.

as i said when everyone was talking about breakthrough/arrived moment after Porto, his talent isn't in doubt. it is around consistency and how he finds a way to produce nights like tuesday on a more regular basis. most young players this takes time. he needs to start bringing those big moments in the big games and find ways to be playing at at least 7/10 every week. he will get there as he seems a driven and ambitious lad and he has talent. there's just no need for us to celebrate him as the next maradona every time he has a good game. equally, he's not shite after his performance yesterday, he's just a young kid finding his way and playing against probably the worlds best midfield, that is double tough as they outnumber you as they don't play real forward players. and i certainly don't subscribe to the point of view @J-V has that he needs to go on loan - he got 30 games last year, i think he will get that again this year. He probably shouldn't be in our 1st choice midfield just yet, but he certainly is good enough to be backup for either of those 8 slots and klopp likes to rotate his midfield more than anywhere on the pitch. 

• Upvote 1