You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Curtis Jones

liverpoolsno9

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

I sort of agree, as it was the easiest 90 minutes we'll have all season, but we got an extended view - rather than glimpses - of what he's capable of

It's a bit like the Atalanta game in Bergamo last season, Imo. Not that this game or Jones' performance is a fluke, but the opposition was so ridiculous in their lack of quality and effort that you can't really draw a conclusion.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I like Jones, it's hard not to, but I wouldn't use this game as a marker to say "he's arrived".

Agree but last night was a big step . He bossed a weaker team and provided the ammunition for the strikers to kill them off emphatically. Its' not all about playing well against the best he needs to dominate shite and put them away, something we have not always done in recent years

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's a bit like the Atalanta game in Bergamo last season, Imo. Not that this game or Jones' performance is a fluke, but the opposition was so ridiculous in their lack of quality and effort that you can't really draw a conclusion.

That opposition beat us at Anfield in the return match. That Porto side held Man City and knocked out Juventus last season. Neither team lack quality, they won't be winning the CL anytime soon but they good sides, taking good sides apart and making them look ordinary is what great players do.

4 minutes ago, No2 said:

That opposition beat us at Anfield in the return match. That Porto side held Man City and knocked out Juventus last season. Neither team lack quality, they won't be winning the CL anytime soon but they good sides, taking good sides apart and making them look ordinary is what great players do.

It's not that Porto or Atalanta lack quality. It's that yesterday, you might fail to see a Champions League team play worse than they did, maybe ever, and Atalanta's tactics in the first game were suicidal. We played well in both matches, but I'm not sure how you can watch those games and not see how cartoonishly bad the performance of the opposition was.

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's not that Porto or Atalanta lack quality. It's that yesterday, you might fail to see a Champions League team play worse than they did, maybe ever, and Atalanta's tactics in the first game were suicidal. We played well in both matches, but I'm not sure how you can watch those games and not see how cartoonishly bad the performance of the opposition was.

Teams don't play shit for the craic, Barca didn't intend to lose 4 nil to us, City were destroyed in 20 minutes not because they played shit, it has happened to better teams than Porto and Atalanta. You can't do that without top performances, Atalanta and Porto have never lost that heavily at home before, some credit is surely due?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, No2 said:

Teams don't play shit for the craic, Barca didn't intend to lose 4 nil to us, City were destroyed in 20 minutes not because they played shit, it has happened to better teams than Porto and Atalanta. You can't do that without top performances, Atalanta and Porto have never lost that heavily at home before, some credit is surely due?

Yeah, some credit, as I said. Not overboard though.

29 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Some people just cant admit there were wrong, some shocking opinions on the young lad earlier in this thread.

On 08/02/2021 at 20:00, Pidge said:

He's been playing very disciplined all season, would be good to see him get a go with Henderson or Fabinho holding things down more. I think he might be part of the plan post-Gini, but hopefully as his confidence builds he gets a few more goals and assists in there. 

Stand by it, tbh.

He's been ace, the mentality was always there to be fair to him. But last season he was undeniably playing within himself because they wanted him to play a particular role. This year he seems to be covering that role AND looking to impact the game (as is his natural inclination), if he can nail both sides of his game in the Prem, we've got a great player on our hands.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, No2 said:

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Personally i think it is a little from both columns. That porto performance without doubt was one of the worst i have ever seen in this competition. They were lucky to come out of the game only conceding 5. But that level of performance can be cause by just how good we were - especially without the ball, as I think that was what really got to them. They expected too much time on the ball and we just didn't give it to them - this is something Jones contributed to massively and something Klopp referenced after the game in terms of Jones performance. Personally I think the sky is the limit for Jones - but last nights performance didn't bring me to that conclusion, although it was great to see his swagger back. We have a great talent on our hands, but I think we can be refencing a breakthrough moment if he is that devastating on Sunday. This is the thing now, we need to see performance after performance from him - we haven't seen that yet no matter who the opponent is. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, m0e said:

I CAN'T BELIEVE WE DIDN'T BUY ANY MIDFIELDERS THIS SUMMER!!!!

You don't half flip flop all over the place with your opinions. Do we need to strengthen in midfield and attack? Yes. Is there a decent player in Jones? Yes

The question marks are over Keita and OX (as you well know) and not really replacing the consistent Gini. Just a reminder that we are currently down two midfielders out of the 8 and one of those remaining 6 will be playing right back on sunday i imagine.

We are always only one or two injuries from a knife edge crisis.

7 hours ago, BeefStroganoff said:

You don't half flip flop all over the place with your opinions. Do we need to strengthen in midfield and attack? Yes. Is there a decent player in Jones? Yes

The question marks are over Keita and OX (as you well know) and not really replacing the consistent Gini. Just a reminder that we are currently down two midfielders out of the 8 and one of those remaining 6 will be playing right back on sunday i imagine.

We are always only one or two injuries from a knife edge crisis.

Indeed.

Enjoying the season, thus far?