You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Curtis Jones

liverpoolsno9

13 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Spot on.

I think is partly why Thiago has struggled at times here as well. 

When signing midfielders, we should be looking at players like Hojbjerg at Spurs, he's not a great midfielder, but ideally suited to the job we want them to do. 

It seems like Florian Neuhaus was/is our top target. Maybe we think we have got more chance of getting him next season? 

I disagree. Klopp wants real footballers to be his water carriers. It's why he took a player like Gini who was an attacking player and made him what he was. His touch, great short passing and quick feet helped him when we had the ball. He just had to learn the dirty work for when we were pressing. The same will be true of Jones and Elliot. It's what we'd hoped for out of keita. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I disagree. Klopp wants real footballers to be his water carriers. It's why he took a player like Gini who was an attacking player and made him what he was. His touch, great short passing and quick feet helped him when we had the ball. He just had to learn the dirty work for when we were pressing. The same will be true of Jones and Elliot. It's what we'd hoped for out of keita. 

Yeah, I understand the logic that it's easier to get players that have great technical ability to do the dirty work in midfield, but whilst Gini is a good example of a player where this has worked, Keita and to a lesser extent Thiago are players where it hasn't worked, or doesn't get the best out of them. 

It will be interesting to see how it plays out for Jones and Elliot if they are mainly seen as central options. I wonder if we will see Jones or Elliott eventually play the false 9 role? 

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

Yeah, I understand the logic that it's easier to get players that have great technical ability to do the dirty work in midfield, but whilst Gini is a good example of a player where this has worked, Keita and to a lesser extent Thiago are players where it hasn't worked, or doesn't get the best out of them. 

It will be interesting to see how it plays out for Jones and Elliot if they are mainly seen as central options. I wonder if we will see Jones or Elliott eventually play the false 9 role? 

I think keita hasn't worked out because he's a big shithouse. He doesn't like being kicked, I don't think it's related to his defensive duties, as he's not capable of taking a tackle, let alone put one in. We did also do the same with lallana, he was injury prone too, but at least performed the job klopp wanted when he got on the pitch. 

Thiago I personally see as something a bit different. I don't think you buy a very established 29 year old and try to change his game. I think we bought him to bring something different. It's just up to now he's not really shown it. I reckon he was an opportunistic role of the dice to try and maybe tactically change us a bit. 

Any manager who has a real style of play and philosophy will mold players the way he wants to. Jones will have to adjust to that. Klopp won't simply put Jones in a free or attacking role because he wants to be a creative player (I don't know if that's what he wants, it's an example). 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Any manager who has a real style of play and philosophy will mold players the way he wants to. Jones will have to adjust to that. Klopp won't simply put Jones him in a free or attacking role because he wants to be a creative player (I don't know if that's what he wants, it's an example). 

Mold is in North Wales. 

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Any manager who has a real style of play and philosophy will mold players the way he wants to. Jones will have to adjust to that. Klopp won't simply put Jones in a free or attacking role because he wants to be a creative player (I don't know if that's what he wants, it's an example). 

Klopp has played with a number 10 before; Coutinho, Götze, and Kagawa… but Jones isn’t quite good enough (yet) to warrant a change in our setup to accommodate him.

• 4 weeks later...