Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tlw content

Liverpool 1 Man City 4 (Feb 7 2021)

Recommended Posts

Great line: Where is the fight? The pressing? The passion? The desire? I didn’t see ANY of those things. Just a meek, timid, scared performance that got exactly what it deserved. This isn’t Heavy Metal Football. Fuck me, it’s not even Ed Sheeran Football. I’d settle for Ed Sheehan over this. What we’re seeing is “Adele Football”. Feeling sorry for yourself, whiny fucking cryarsing shite. 

 

I'm very concerned. I'm not sure Klopp can see a way out of this. I really hope he can and he can either get this team to be great again, or build another great team, but I just have a feeling in my head that Steven Gerrard might be in charge for the first game of next season.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just play the actual centre backs from now on, even if we still endure the odd hammering. Its been quite arrogant to think we could do otherwise really.

The pressing game we perfected is solidly linked with fans encouragement from the stands. A sort of fuel if you like. It cant work/maintain without it

Prior to Covid, getting picked for the first team and getting out on the pitch at Anfield must have been the ultimate incentive. Something you desperately want to be a part of. Training sessions would have been highly competitive. 

Now the actual match looks as though its a bit of a chore for some, zero enjoyment, even when we show glimpses of promise.

The biggest problem I can see is that the above also applies to Klopp. If ever there was a manager who needed the crowd and the raw energy it was him. And he modelled his team based on it to great effect. He just looks disinterested as to him this is no kind of football at all.      

       

 

     

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While one or two of the “regulars” look to have lost their legs, the real issues seem to be systemic. 
 

We’ve completely lost our verve and, to be honest, we’re boring as fuck to watch once we reach the final third. It’s like watching us play in slow motion. The number of times we reach the edge of the box and 5 seconds later the ball is back with the centre backs. There’s zero injections of pace or electricity any longer. Everything is slowed down to walking pace and you can tell the players don’t have a clue how to create a chance. Everybody’s confidence is shot and nobody believes in themselves anymore. If Klopp, who is probably the ultimate motivator, can’t  get a tune out of these lads then we’re truly fucked.
 

I'm starting to worry about Jurgen. He just seems like he wants the season to hurry up and end and this looks like it’s filtering through to the players. We look fucking joyless out there. 
 

Whatever happens now we need to clear out 5 or 6 of the squad and have a mini rebuild come the end of the season. The reserves like Origi, Chamberlain, Minamino and Shaqiri to an extent have contributed the square root of fuck all the entire season. The front 3 is goosed because Klopp knows the reserve lads can’t be trusted to contribute anything. 
 

Origi had reached the stage where I genuinely think he’s taking the piss. Do we genuinely not have a talented 17 year old attacker in the youth ranks who can sit on the bench and come on now and again? I refuse to believe Layton Stewart, for example, would contribute less than Divock. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Total Longo said:

With Jota out, what are the options? We loan Minamino out, so that leaves very little. I'd happily never see Origi in a red shirt again and Shaqiri and Chamberlain aren't far behind. 

Hey I’m with you, I’d happily have the lad from the reserves on the bench ahead of Origi as at least you’d get some effort. Hindsight is 20:20 but apart from JK did anyone think playing Jota in a meaningless away game against fired-up defenders was a good idea? And virtually everyone has mentioned how slow we are all of a sudden, surely that shit needs a total reset starting at Leicester. Personally I think moving Fab and Hendo into MF will have an immediate impact, assuming one of the two new lads at CB can actually kick a ball to someone in the same coloured shirt. Start Gini with them and let Thiago come on when the pace drops (that would also stop him from getting a yellow in the first minute and being a passenger). Do what we’ve been doing for 3yrs and inject pace back into things. Have a fucking go and see what happens

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I can't believe I would contribute less than Divock, never mind Layton Stewart.

I've never seen a player so out of sync with his teammates than Divvy this season. He is beyond clueless. 100% unsuitable to this team and style of play. 

 

Apparently he's turned down opportunities to moves in the past, even this past January. As much of a legend/cult hero he is you have to question the lads hunger and desire if he knows that we want him to leave but he's prepared to sit his career out on the bench/in the stands. 

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Marcas said:

Hey I’m with you, I’d happily have the lad from the reserves on the bench ahead of Origi as at least you’d get some effort. Hindsight is 20:20 but apart from JK did anyone think playing Jota in a meaningless away game against fired-up defenders was a good idea? And virtually everyone has mentioned how slow we are all of a sudden, surely that shit needs a total reset starting at Leicester. Personally I think moving Fab and Hendo into MF will have an immediate impact, assuming one of the two new lads at CB can actually kick a ball to someone in the same coloured shirt. Start Gini with them and let Thiago come on when the pace drops (that would also stop him from getting a yellow in the first minute and being a passenger). Do what we’ve been doing for 3yrs and inject pace back into things. Have a fucking go and see what happens

 

Makes me laugh other people talking about it's too risky to play Kabak and Davies together. Like we haven't already just lost 3 home games on the bounce and just got battered by Man City. Two wins out of nine. There isn't any risk when your form is that dreadful. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew we were in for a long afternoon at 0-0 when Mane was given the ball in City's half by Ederson, a couple of seasons ago Salah received the ball in the same place and lobbed the keeper. Mane received the ball, looked for a pass, couldn't see one and it ended up back with our defenders.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

 

Makes me laugh other people talking about it's too risky to play Kabak and Davies together. Like we haven't already just lost 3 home games on the bounce and just got battered by Man City. Two wins out of nine. There isn't any risk when your form is that dreadful. 

To be fair, Kabak's international clearance only came through for him to play the city game onwards. Alli's brain farts didnt come about because he had Hendo and Fab in front of him.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Daisy said:

Said it before this is all on the owners. 

 

The first team players have given them everything for three years with no squad and now when they desperately need help, FSG deliver two reject bums for free on the last day of the window (one of which didn't even make the squad) 

 

Wouldn't surprise me if they've seen them in training and thought fucking hell we are fucked here boys. 

 

Needs to be coridnated fans action to drive them out

unfortunately I have to agree with this. They run this team on the field like a plucky underdog who should be grateful for 1 league title. We are current league champions and recent European champions who lost our best player and two other important centre backs for virtually the whole season. So we are told no money available even tho we’ve spent next to fuck all net over the last few seasons and right at last knocking sign a player from Preston and another young relatively unknown lad who’s. defence has apparently just shipped 50 goals. Thy had since Oct to sort this and the least klopp deserved was the benefit of the doubt and backed properly and sorted this mess out. It’s never going to be any different while they are here and they will continually expect klopp and Edwards to work miracles for them or sell to buy. I’m sick to death of them and would almost take anyone above them.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with the sentiments of playing two centrebacks if its phillips, Kabak or Davies just do it. We are doing appallingly with Fabinho and Henderson there anyway so what's the difference just play them and put Fabinho and Henderson back in midfield it might not solve our problems but sticking rather than twisting isn't solving it either. 

 

Henderson and Fabinho offer enough protection as midfielders to take the pressure off the centrebacks. Injuries have fucked us up but it doesn't excuse not managing the situation and adapting we cant keep going on like nothings happened, its like we are Christopher reeves after his accident and still expecting to be in the next Superman film. "Youre a real life superman Christopher! but no that shit has sailed" the coaching staff should of looked at this and thought we cant play a high line with intensity the energy levels are not there look at the stats around Europe its dropped everywhere.

 

At the minute we are like a middle aged man in skinny jeans, we need to get fucking changed.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fairly good summation of the game by Dave here. However, I dont agree about that being the worst goalkeeping display by a Liverpool goalie. Dudek and James have legitimate claims. And there were a couple times Mignolet also had absolute stinkers.

 

Regarding City bumming us, well we occasionally give them a good bumming too. All their recent big scoreline wins over us have caveats. Smashed them 3-1 last season when it mattered. Their 4 nil win then came after we had won the league, still pissed up from celebrating.

 

The 17/18 season, they beat us 5 nil due to an early Mane red card, but we still ended up beating them 3 times that season. Including a 3 nil bumming in the CL. And this season they beat us when we had a load of injuries, without fans at Anfield. So yeah, I wont be giving them that much credit for the bummings.

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it your not a fan of Adele then ?!
I decided not to watch it yesterday as I had a good idea what would happen. The previous 2 home games I knew we weren’t going to win after 5 mins ,as you say it is because we are just playing the same rubbish on repeat.

Ali was a disgrace yesterday and something that has annoyed me but not much commented   on ( well I haven’t seen any ) is all these christenings he appears to be doing in his swimming pool ! Not sure how that can be happening under current COVID restrictions. He had one plastered all over his social media days before the Brighton game when he couldn’t play perhaps he picked a bug up then ? Perhaps they are from a while ago but it does make you wonder.

My other worry is Klopp he is clearly not a happy man and I hate to say it but it has all gone downhill since his comments re Utd and penalties something he should never have done.

Great report having flicked through the match sums it up perfectly.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting you suggest Jones or Shaq as a false nine instead of Firmino. I was thinking today, after seeing Foden get the MOTM award playing in that position, who we had who was remotely similar, and Curtis Jones was the closest I could come up with.

 

Well, he could hardly be worse there than Bobby at the moment.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's interesting you suggest Jones or Shaq as a false nine instead of Firmino. I was thinking today, after seeing Foden get the MOTM award playing in that position, who we had who was remotely similar, and Curtis Jones was the closest I could come up with.

 

Well, he could hardly be worse there than Bobby at the moment.

That's not a bad shout at all. I can see Jones as a false 9. He's certainly got the skillset for it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Supremolad said:

Fairly good summation of the game by Dave here. However, I dont agree about that being the worst goalkeeping display by a Liverpool goalie. Dudek and James have legitimate claims. And there were a couple times Mignolet also had absolute stinkers.

 

Regarding City bumming us, well we occasionally give them a good bumming too. All their recent big scoreline wins over us have caveats. Smashed them 3-1 last season when it mattered. Their 4 nil win then came after we had won the league, still pissed up from celebrating.

 

The 17/18 season, they beat us 5 nil due to an early Mane red card, but we still ended up beating them 3 times that season. Including a 3 nil bumming in the CL. And this season they beat us when we had a load of injuries, without fans at Anfield. So yeah, I wont be giving them that much credit for the bummings.

 

Come on now, Mignolet never did anything even remotely approaching that yesterday! If he had there'd have been a lynch mob at Melwood the day after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Daisy said:

Said it before this is all on the owners. 

 

The first team players have given them everything for three years with no squad and now when they desperately need help, FSG deliver two reject bums for free on the last day of the window (one of which didn't even make the squad) 

 

Wouldn't surprise me if they've seen them in training and thought fucking hell we are fucked here boys. 

 

Needs to be coridnated fans action to drive them out

Liverpool FC Transfers Season 2017/18
  • Mohamed Salah – Roma – £36.9m.
  • Dominic Solanke – Chelsea – Tribunal fee TBD.
  • Andrew Robertson – Hull City – £8m.
  • Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain – Arsenal – £35m.
Liverpool FC Transfers Season 2018/19
  • Fabinho – Monaco – £39m. Naby Keita – RB Leipzig – £52.75m. Xherdan Shaqiri – Stoke – £13.75m. ... 
Liverpool FC Transfers Season 2019/20
  • Sepp van den Berg – PEC Zwolle – £1.3m.
  • Harvey Elliott – Fulham – Tribunal TBD. ????
  • Takumi Minamino – Salzburg – £7.25m.
Liverpool FC Transfers Season 2020/21
  • Thiago – Bayern Munich – £25m.

Diogo Jota from Wolverhampton Wanderers

  • Kostas Tsimikas – Olympiakos – £11.75m. Marcelo Pitaluga – Fluminense – £1.8m. Ben Davies – Preston – £1.6m.
  • Ozan Kabak – Schalke – £1.5m loan fee.

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Red Shift said:
Liverpool FC Transfers Season 2017/18
  • Mohamed Salah – Roma – £36.9m.
  • Dominic Solanke – Chelsea – Tribunal fee TBD.
  • Andrew Robertson – Hull City – £8m.
  • Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain – Arsenal – £35m.
Liverpool FC Transfers Season 2018/19
  • Fabinho – Monaco – £39m. Naby Keita – RB Leipzig – £52.75m. Xherdan Shaqiri – Stoke – £13.75m. ... 
Liverpool FC Transfers Season 2019/20
  • Sepp van den Berg – PEC Zwolle – £1.3m.
  • Harvey Elliott – Fulham – Tribunal TBD. ????
  • Takumi Minamino – Salzburg – £7.25m.
Liverpool FC Transfers Season 2020/21
  • Thiago – Bayern Munich – £25m.

Diogo Jota from Wolverhampton Wanderers

  • Kostas Tsimikas – Olympiakos – £11.75m. Marcelo Pitaluga – Fluminense – £1.8m. Ben Davies – Preston – £1.6m.
  • Ozan Kabak – Schalke – £1.5m loan fee.

 

What exactly is your point? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Red Shift said:
Liverpool FC Transfers Season 2017/18
  • Mohamed Salah – Roma – £36.9m.
  • Dominic Solanke – Chelsea – Tribunal fee TBD.
  • Andrew Robertson – Hull City – £8m.
  • Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain – Arsenal – £35m.
Liverpool FC Transfers Season 2018/19
  • Fabinho – Monaco – £39m. Naby Keita – RB Leipzig – £52.75m. Xherdan Shaqiri – Stoke – £13.75m. ... 
Liverpool FC Transfers Season 2019/20
  • Sepp van den Berg – PEC Zwolle – £1.3m.
  • Harvey Elliott – Fulham – Tribunal TBD. ????
  • Takumi Minamino – Salzburg – £7.25m.
Liverpool FC Transfers Season 2020/21
  • Thiago – Bayern Munich – £25m.

Diogo Jota from Wolverhampton Wanderers

  • Kostas Tsimikas – Olympiakos – £11.75m. Marcelo Pitaluga – Fluminense – £1.8m. Ben Davies – Preston – £1.6m.
  • Ozan Kabak – Schalke – £1.5m loan fee.

 

That's an eye opener, thanks. 

Look at the"investment" since becoming European Champions, shocking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Daisy said:

What exactly is your point? 

Strictly speaking, the squad has been added to consistently, and the incoming players over the last three years have got us to where we are. Champions.

 

I’m simply pointing that out. However, I’m not in disagreement about ‘defenders’, but you didn’t say ‘defenders’. The owners have conducted the best business they could under the circumstances, on the whole, over the last 3-4 yrs, and strengthened the squad. 
 

I wholeheartedly agree that this window was too slow and ponderous, but I don’t know the state of the owners financials. Even before VVD arrived (Jan 2018 - not in the above list for some reason) Klopp had us into the Europa League Final.

 

Sorry, but your sentence didn’t quite make sense to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Moo said:

That's an eye opener, thanks. 

Look at the"investment" since becoming European Champions, shocking.

Well, you mean last summer. I’d say the investment was good, but it didn’t include any defenders. They were probably guilty of not covering for Matip when they bought Thiago and Jota, as well as the GK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have sympathy for you Dave, having to write a report. I can’t  even read papers or TLW. Be strong mate !

 

We are shite, it was obvious we would not get anything from that game after the Brighton debacle.

 

But it was really hard for the son, I had to forget my own misery to cheer him up. Tough job to be parents really....

 

I agree there’s something wrong, we have to change things right now and during summer. 
 

Klopp knows his job obviously but he keeps doing the same thing , it’s not working anymore.

 

Just put Hendo back in midfield for a start ....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×