You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cinema experiences

Colonel Bumcunt

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Best: Jurassic Park or Avatar in 3D

Worst: Flubber

Wish: Pulp Fiction and been about 24 and potent 

Best Cinema: The Showcase since its been done out but who gives a fuck when the lights go out 

I’ve changed my mind on Pulp Fiction. Jaws in the pictures, first time watching would have been beyond anything 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I’ve changed my mind on Pulp Fiction. Jaws in the pictures, first time watching would have been beyond anything 

Yep. Saw it with my father. Jumped when that head poped up from the sunken boat, along with half the cinema. He just pulled me back down embarrassed.

• Upvote 1

Best film.

Inception stands out. Was on the edge of my seat most of the time. The film and the score blew my mind. Wouldn’t have compared watching that at home for the first time.

Special mention to Jurassic Park though. Probably the most memorable film I saw as a boy. Also, LOTR The Return of The King is also right up there.

Worst?

Existenz

Absolutely hated it this naff Sci Fi film, starting Jude Law back in 1999. Wanted to walk out of it but my mate wanted to stay. 

Thought it was that shite I nearly didn’t go and watch The Matrix, a few months later, as I got the same vibe from the trailer. 

Best Cinema

Love ‘Screen on the Green’ in London but my favourite is the old cinema in Tywyn, Wales called ‘The Magic Lantern’. Proper old school cinema, complete with balcony. The place looks like it hasn’t changed since it opened back in 1901. Old school popcorn kiosk, old style tickets, someone going round selling popcorn...etc. Absolutely brilliant. We always head there when in the area.

Wish List

Watching a classic Blockbuster in the Chinese Theatre, Los Angeles 

• Upvote 1

Beat film seen?

This is a real hard one, I saw The Phantom Menace the it came out in Las Vegas. That was cool but it was a bit of a let-down other than the Darth Maul fight scene with the double light saber. Each of the first Batman films by both directors were great in the cinema, Titanic was also a visual masterpiece in the cinema. Just the romance side of it put me off the first half but the effects were spectacular. There are so many films that can be just as good at home as in a cinema.

I think the first fillm with sheer cinematic impact I would have to say 'Heat' with Robert de Niro, Al Pacinio and Val Kilmer. I remember the opening scene going on for ages with not much dialogue, lots of build up to some kind of crime being committed and after a few minutes of this build up listening to guns firing off all over the cinema. It was so intense and the fact the film was so long did not register until the end that it was so late, way past midnight when we went in to see it at just after 8pm. That experience could not have been matched at home. I do remember being in a cinema to see Star Wars as a kid, if I were older I would have appreciated it a lot more.

Worst film?

Worst film is an easy one, I walked out half-way through one of the Pirates of the caribbeaan films. I hadn't seen the original and everyone was banging on about how great these films were - so I watched the new one at the time (it was either the second or third one - and it was just so boring. Halfway through I just had to leave. I had never left before that and I never left a film since.

Which film do you wish to see in a good cinema? 

In the past? Either The Usual Suspects or The Shawshank Redemption. If I recall these films came out with llittle marketing and only became successful after home release. Also I would have loved to have seen Jaws when it first came out.

Beat cinema you've been in?

Probably the one in Las Vegas, I seem to recall it was next door to an M&M museum. I just looked it up and it seems to still be there. 

2 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

BFS

Probably a draw between Star Wars, just because, well, non one had seen a film like that before and I'd say the other being Guardians of the Galaxy - and both purely for the cinematic experience. SW was in the London Road Odeon, which was the cinema to watch a film in back in the day and then Liverpool 1 for GOTG, and we went to the Imax, fuck-off screen room, which was just mind blowing. Screens seem all the same as that now, so its just the norm, I guess. 

WF

The Showcase on the end of the lancs, for every film. Its piss poor and I've always hated it. Trampy place. 

WFDYWTSIAGC

Jaws or Poltergeist, digitally re-mastered on that mad fuck off screen in Liverpool 1. Oh yes!

BCYBI

The Royalty Cinema Bowness.

Not the biggest screen, not the best sound, certainly not the best seats and not the best atmosphere, however, back in those heady days of her pregnant and me taking her the cinema during a weekend away - the only cinema that was then, still allowing you to walk to the chocolate and sweetie stand, pick your sweets and then re-join the ticket queue, to pay for your sweeties. God I loved that cinema. The Fifth Element was on that weekend and we went twice and I must have put half a stone on and created three cavities in me teeth. Scousers eh. 

Best was The Dark Knight, brilliant and it was with a group of mates and the girls we used to knock round with. Everything was perfect and the film was cracking.

Worst was Open Water. Christ that was shit and I’ve never lived it down. It had a load of hype and I insisted a few of us go. It was that bad that when there’s an argument even now someone will bring it up as the way to put me back in my box. Beowulf not far behind but I take solace in being dragged in to watch that.

Wish - Gladiator- I never got round to it at the time and TVs weren’t ‘that’ big when it came out on dvd so I still feel like I’ve missed out.

Best cinema (and why I quoted this post) is also the one in Bowness, which I think if it’s the same one is or was on that hill as you drop into town. My girlfriends at the time dad and me went to watch Dawn of the dead remake. He was such a top bloke but I think maybe a bit hen pecked, the womenfolk wanted to go shopping so we were ordered to kill some time there but I was told not to take him to anything too violent etc.

Once they cleared off he said he really fancied Dawn of the dead so we went in and it was absolutely boss, proper over the top and he absolutely buzzed off it. Old school place as well where the lady came out with the ice creams and that half way through the film.  

7 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I went to see The Joker in the Everyman Cinema in town. Went to a matinée showing and there were two other people in the auditorium. 

It was boss. I felt like I was a pop star on MTV Cribs who's got their own cinema room in their flashy house. 

I saw it there in similar circumstances, too.

Not sure of the best film I've seen, but 2012 stands out as the worst.

Not sure if it counts as best cinema - or even an actual cinema - but I've seen a few films at the Philharmonic and that's always much nicer than any of the retail park multiscreen monstrosities. 

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

Yep. Saw it with my father. Jumped when that head poped up from the sunken boat, along with half the cinema. He just pulled me back down embarrassed.

Haha, can see it mate. Superb 

53 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

Best was The Dark Knight, brilliant and it was with a group of mates and the girls we used to knock round with. Everything was perfect and the film was cracking.

Worst was Open Water. Christ that was shit and I’ve never lived it down. It had a load of hype and I insisted a few of us go. It was that bad that when there’s an argument even now someone will bring it up as the way to put me back in my box. Beowulf not far behind but I take solace in being dragged in to watch that.

Wish - Gladiator- I never got round to it at the time and TVs weren’t ‘that’ big when it came out on dvd so I still feel like I’ve missed out.

Best cinema (and why I quoted this post) is also the one in Bowness, which I think if it’s the same one is or was on that hill as you drop into town. My girlfriends at the time dad and me went to watch Dawn of the dead remake. He was such a top bloke but I think maybe a bit hen pecked, the womenfolk wanted to go shopping so we were ordered to kill some time there but I was told not to take him to anything too violent etc.

Once they cleared off he said he really fancied Dawn of the dead so we went in and it was absolutely boss, proper over the top and he absolutely buzzed off it. Old school place as well where the lady came out with the ice creams and that half way through the film.  

The best thing about Open Water was the tits on the woman at the start when she's lying on the bed. Cracking rack. Really nice. Holiday tits. 

57 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Actually, would love to have seen the Blade Runner 2049 on the big screen.  Amazing soundscape.

Ditto Apocalypse Now, and also Black Hawk Down. 

Great film. Captures the reality of ops in Africa as best as you can. 

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Actually, would love to have seen the Blade Runner 2049 on the big screen.  Amazing soundscape.

Ditto Apocalypse Now, and also Black Hawk Down. 

Blade runner sequel was excellent with the sound loud. The Elvis performance was excellently edited in.

Most amazing experience was seeing the T-Rex first come onto the screen in Jurassic Park...

It just looked utterly amazing, never seen anything look or heard anything so loud in a cinema at that time

Used to love the ABC on Lime Street and The Woolton Cinema but have to say now I love going the FACT especially early afternoon when it’s pretty much empty 

20 hours ago, SasaS said:

I saw that with my bird at the time at that one opposite the Crown ,The Futurist?, I too shit myself at that scene, my tough persona dealt with in one blow she was in bulk, I was crestfallen. Good Times. 

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The Tivoli in Bath and the Electric in Notting Hill are both lovely. There is a small boutique cinema in Hampstead that is pretty good too. They are worth paying the extra just to avoid annoying fucking teenagers.

Best film is too difficult to pick, really. The Exorcist in 1997 when it was on a special showing in the ABC on Lime St, Alien in a popup drive-in cinema over on the Wirral last year, Jaws at Crosby Plaza, Jurassic Park on the first week of its release, the Magnificent 7 remake with my dad as he very rarely goes the cinema, Vertigo at the Phil with a live orchestra, Saving Private Ryan at the cinema in Bangor - the battle sequences were tremendous.

Worst - can't remember the actual film, think it was Hereditary. The film was alright, but the woman behind me was burping and farting constantly, talking to herself and stunk.

Wish I'd seen Raiders on its first release in the pictures but I was only two at the time so probably wouldn't have appreciated it.

Favourite cinema is the Plaza in Crosby. I love having a picturehouse five minutes' walk away.

I wish I could turn back the clock to go and see The Exorcist when it first came out. Priests with Holy water and people being carried out, would loved to have experienced the sheer terror and pandemonium of the time.

I would also love to watch my favourite ever film, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly on the full cinema screen. Both TGTB&TU and 2001 A Space Odyssey would be incredible to experience in a good cinema.

Of the recent films I've seen, I would love to rewatch Portrait of A Lady On Fire in its full 8k glory. Fucking incredible film that.

In 1994 I spent the entire summer in New York City and every Sunday (cos I had hardly any money) at the picture house in Times Square.

It was the biggest hovel I've ever been in, utterly filthy, but they used to charge you $3 then just let you in and forget about you.

I used to watch 3 or 4 films every time I went in but it was at a price; films were often halted because fights would break out, they'd let all kinds of nutters in, blokes casting fishing rods at the screen, guys going crazy with nunchucks, removal men moving sofas and fridge freezers from behind the screen and out through the seats as the movie was being played, all sorts of madness.

For a youngish lad, far from home in a foreign land, it was a both frightening and beguiling place.

Loved it.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

In 1994 I spent the entire summer in New York City and every Sunday (cos I had hardly any money) at the picture house in Times Square.

It was the biggest hovel I've ever been in, utterly filthy, but they used to charge you $3 then just let you in and forget about you.

I used to watch 3 or 4 films every time I went in but it was at a price; films were often halted because fights would break out, they'd let all kinds of nutters in, blokes casting fishing rods at the screen, guys going crazy with nunchucks, removal men moving sofas and fridge freezers from behind the screen and out through the seats as the movie was being played, all sorts of madness.

For a youngish lad, far from home in a foreign land, it was a both frightening and beguiling place.

Loved it.

Hahaha superb