You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Counter Press vs Control Possession

Jordy Brouwer

I think we are doing too much controlled possession, we very rarely attack at speed anymore, the fullback are much better coming onto the ball whilst still progressing forward rather than sitting and waiting for the ball and then having to wither go back or whip an ameless ball into the box the someone might or might not get on the end of. 

We move the ball too slowly and I think Gini is one of the worst for this, for all the good he brings, he also takes the safe option going backwards way too often.

Our MF needs shoring up, with fab and hendo back in there we will hopefully see us return to really turning the screw on teams by keeping them pinned in.

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

When you're consistently producing similar performances against certain types of teams with the same kind of "12 shots, 2 on target" outcome, it's likely something a little more complex than "the front players are playing bad". I'll leave it at that too.

I would argue that the "12 shots, 2 on target" thing actually backs up the point. The pattern is repeating itself and the stats are showing that.

Generally speaking, the attempts at goal will come from the forward players as they are probably responsible for about 75% of our efforts, if not more (would be interested to see the stats on that). The fact that they are not getting as many shots off proves that they are not getting the better of the defenders they are coming up against.

10 hours ago, Brownie said:

I would argue that the "12 shots, 2 on target" thing actually backs up the point. The pattern is repeating itself and the stats are showing that.

Generally speaking, the attempts at goal will come from the forward players as they are probably responsible for about 75% of our efforts, if not more (would be interested to see the stats on that). The fact that they are not getting as many shots off proves that they are not getting the better of the defenders they are coming up against.

Or that the midfield aren't creating opportunities. Like a lot of statistics you can see what you want to see in them. 

I think the problem definitely extends into midfield. 

Just think we look like what we are. A team with an extremely high intensity style with loads of injuries and the players are all knackered. Result is a huge drop off in quality in the final 3rd. As Klopp said we're mentally tired.

No doubt get the injuries back and we'll be good again.

And the squad needs freshening up, I don't think anyone would be gutted about seeing ox, Shaq and origi all replaced next year for one good attacking option

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, etho said:

Just think we look like what we are. A team with an extremely high intensity style with loads of injuries and the players are all knackered. Result is a huge drop off in quality in the final 3rd. As Klopp said we're mentally tired.

And the squad needs freshening up, I don't think anyone would be gutted about seeing ox, Shaq and origi all replaced next year for one good attacking option

He might be a bit of a prat but I'd happily swap them all for Grealish. 

2 hours ago, etho said:

I'd be somewhat disappointed to lose Shaq but that's just me. 

3 hours ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Or that the midfield aren't creating opportunities. Like a lot of statistics you can see what you want to see in them. 

I think the problem definitely extends into midfield. 

From what I can see, the midfield are doing exactly what they always do; winning the ball back loads, controlling possession and getting the ball into the full backs and forwards to do what they do.

We've had the most touches in the opposition box this season (801). City are next best with 732.

That proves that we're the best team in the league at getting into the box.

• Upvote 2