You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (H) - Premier League - 7/2/21 - 16:30

Bjornebye

9 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I know. I saw the game.

Do you genuinely think a defender with no top level experience and a 20 year old from the bottom of the league In Germany would have done any better? 

We played pretty well today, but were undone by two uncharacteristic mistakes from the goalkeeper. 

What is there left to lose? If those two can't come in and do a job where we've had Phillips and Williams playing then we shouldn't have bothered at all.

Personally I think we would have stood a better chance today playing both and putting Fab and Hendo back in the middle and keeping the pressure contained in Citys half, but thats just me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, waddy78 said:

As Jürgen said, Allison has saved our arses many times it was uncharistic of him (not sure about having a cold foot tho) we need a break I don't mean a rest I mean a decision going our way a last minute own goal in our favour something like this. He needs to get the midfield back together if that means Kabak and Phillips then so be it we need to get back to basics start doing the simple things again pressing high knocking the diagonal ball in behind like we used to.

Before Brighton we beat two half decent sides away scoring 6 goals.

12 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

He died on his arse in his last seasons at Dortmund and Mainz too, maybe that's just his pattern. Start from a poor position, overachieve, then fade badly!

That's the concern, it deteriorated pretty quickly and he decided he'd had enough.

9 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Cmon mastermind. In what way were we good?

Was it in our cutthroat attacking play?

Was it with our robust defence?

Maybe it was our keeper?

We created hardly anything of note, one Mane header, a pen and a Jones shot. 

We had a plan that was largely working until Alisson threw the game away.

If you were expecting a daring attacking performance against the best team in the league and considering our terrible form, sorry, that just wasn't gonna happen.

• Downvote 1

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp, speaking to Sky Sports: "Big part of the game was a brilliant game from my side. I can see in your eyes you see differently. I really liked it. First half played really good football. Second half, City changed the system slightly. A little adaptation and we would be in the game again but in the start of the second half we did not give enough options to play and gave the first goal away. 

"We gave them too much opportunity. They scored that goal, we scored the equaliser. We were good again but then made two massive mistakes that is clear. At 3-1 down at this level it is tough to take and then Foden with a genius situation for the fourth goal. 

"If we play football like we did for a long time tonight then we will win football games, 100%."

On Alisson's errors: "It is true as well we did not give him a lot of options, especially the first one. Second yeah, he just mishit the ball, maybe he had cold feet, it sounds funny but don't know the situation. He has saved our lives many times, no doubt about that, tonight he made mistakes."

Tight battle for top four? "We will try everything. There are enough games to play to secure that but we have to win games."

Sorry Jurgen but you are talking out of your arse here.

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Before Brighton we beat two half decent sides away scoring 6 goals.

West Ham were in good form when we beat them, we were a bit poor 1st half then Salah set us on or way, disagree about Tottenham they were out of form just like us and had Son goal stood 2 mins in we would have been fucked because they would have resorted to type and stuck 11 men behind the ball.

Just now, BeefStroganoff said:

What is their left to lose? If those two can't come in and do a job where we've had Phillips and Williams playing then we shouldn't have bothered at all.

Personally I think we would have stood a better chance today playing both and putting Fab and Hendo back in the middle and keeping the pressure contained in Citys half, but thats just me.

City would have had a field day against them two today! Imagine if we'd thrown both or either of them today against the best team in the league and they'd been torn to pieces, It would have damaged them long term by getting off to a bad start. 

If we started Fabinho and Henderson in the middle today then we'd have had to drop one of Thiago or Wijdnaldum so overall the team would have been weaker for it. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

They might actually know basic defending, plus they'll allow our midfielders to play in midfield. 

That alone has to improve us.

I just don't want to see our midfield without Henderson and Fabinho any more.

Although i have a feeling it will only be Hendo we see back in it any time soon sadly.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

We had a plan that was largely working until Alisson threw the game away.

If you were expecting a daring attacking performance against the best team in the league and in the terrible form we've  been, sorry, that just wasn't gonna happen.

And thats not Jurgen Klopp. Our teams can't play safe, they are shit at it. Thats why we've lost three home games on the bounce.

Just now, BeefStroganoff said:

And thats not Jurgen Klopp. Our teams can't play safe, they are shit at it. Thats why we've lost three home games on the bounce.

I don't know what you've been watching these past few years, but we've become a quite pragmatic side. This isn't 17-18 anymore.

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

City would have had a field day against them two today! Imagine if we'd thrown both or either of them today against the best team in the league and they'd been torn to pieces, It would have damaged them long term by getting off to a bad start. 

If we started Fabinho and Henderson in the middle today then we'd have had to drop one of Thiago or Wijdnaldum so overall the team would have been weaker for it. 

Fucking hell, they had a field day today! Fabinho is not a centre back. he's done ok but his tackles are best received for the middle of the park. Hendo doesn't do tackles either, his game is about running and keeping the ball moving.

We got bummed 4-1 by three attacking midfielders up front.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't know what you've been watching these past few years, but we've become a quite pragmatic side. This isn't 17-18 anymore.

I know what I've been watching. Even if we are not gung ho, we have intensity. Our game is based on wearing the opposition down in their own half. We can't do that with our best two midfielders at the back!

Fuck all between the teams  - anyone saying City were outplaying us is clueless - we weren't good and City were no better, then God's mate had a fucking vision, thinking every player was wearing a red shirt. The fucking media may well represent this game as a Pep masterclass but the truth is it was our goalkeeper who handed it to them. Nothing else.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

They might actually know basic defending, plus they'll allow our midfielders to play in midfield. 

They will most likely be way out of their depth. 

A 25 year old centre back with no top level experience who was on the verge of joining Celtic is going to struggle immensely here. 

1 minute ago, BeefStroganoff said:

I know what I've been watching. Even if we are not gung ho, we have intensity. Our game is based on wearing the opposition down in their own half. We can't do that with our best two midfielders at the back!

The intensity was good today until Alisson threw the game away.

• Upvote 1

Taking Jones of was a major brainfart. Klopp's decision making of late have been questionable. Well his subs have a fair amount of time his been here been a bit baffling. Not taking anything away from Klopp he is the best manager in the world no doubt about it, but I guess he is a bit confussed aswell right now. 

Sterling just owned Trent, but he's always been an average defender we all know that. Brilliant going forward, not lately though but he can't defend to save his life, but that's not what he is in the team for either. 

I understand Klopps choice of not playing any of the new defenders in a game like this and not sure we'll see any of them until Sheffield maybe Everton. They should have been here January first not the thirtyfirst. Have no idea if that's on FSG, Klopp, Edwards or the selling clubs. But they should have been in early. 

I actually thought we were going to win the match until Allisons first howler. Generally we were the best side and deserved at minimum a point. It's looking grim right now, they really need to put their shit together if they want CL football next year. Think we'll get past Leipzig and then it'll probably be turned into a one off competition and then all can happen. 

Come on you Reds ffs lets get it on.

not often i agree with Roy Keane but he is right we got stuffed at villa with VVD in the team we really have to stop the bullshit excuses its making us a bloody laughing stock!!.We have looked disjointed most of the season and what we need is Fabino and Hendo back in midfield put the 2 new lads in take a gamble they are defenders they know there job.This is the point where we need to throw caution to the wind and look like we are interested in winning games   

• Like 2

Fabinho will be a better centre back than either of those two lads we have signed.  Henderson has been good there recently as well.  Playing either of them would have been suicide in their first game.  People have their narrative though even though they clearly aren’t the reason we got beat.  We were at 1-1 and looking like the better side.  Klopp made those substitutions because he was trying to win the game and thinking we were on top.  It backfired massively.

If Alisson just goes long first time then that result doesn’t happen.  The first goal resulted in his head absolutely going, Adrian/Karius style and the game was done from that point.  Why we were working angles to go back to him after that incident is just simply down to the robotic nature of football these days.  Players should be taking responsibility to go long up the line when they see how badly he was affected.  Instead they’re still passing it to him because they just drill those passing plays over and over again and can’t break out of them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, torahboy said:

Fuck all between the teams  - anyone saying City were outplaying us is clueless - we weren't good and City were no better, then God's mate had a fucking vision, thinking every player was wearing a red shirt. The fucking media may well represent this game as a Pep masterclass but the truth is it was our goalkeeper who handed it to them. Nothing else.

The stats agree

66C54290-EF51-4CE2-A0A8-C664E4620B4B.jpeg

2 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Fucking hell, they had a field day today! Fabinho is not a centre back. he's done ok but his tackles are best received for the middle of the park. Hendo doesn't do tackles either, his game is about running and keeping the ball moving.

We got bummed 4-1 by three attacking midfielders up front.

It was 1-1 until the 73rd minute and then two goalkeeper errors put the game out of reach for us. 

If Ederson had made those two errors at the other end everyone would be saying what a good performance it was today. 

A few weeks ago a number of pundits were praising Fabinho as one of the best performers at Centre back this season.