You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (H) - Premier League - 7/2/21 - 16:30

Bjornebye

Right, I'm going to try things the old way and the new way. Old way:

---

Vigour. Intelligence. Creativity. Tempo. Obduracy. Ruthlessness. Yardstick.

I don't ask for much.

There will be a lot of media shite over the coming days about our problems while City have been ticking along serenely. Any adverse result for us will be seen as decisive. When a game has a lot of hype behind it, it usually ends up being an attritional affair and a real damp squib.

Just play with discipline, don't get sucked into any mind games, don't do anything daft and don't overreach if/when we don't have to. Despite what many might thing, we still have the tools to hurt City and make sure they can't hurt us. The mentality of those involved needs to be Liverpool 2018-2020.

• Upvote 1

New way:

This game last season enabled us to streak clear in the table. It was a statement of intent that we were a far superior force to before. It wasn't an energetic win against a side that would finish above us anyway as had happened in so many games over the previous 30-odd years. No, WE were the yardstick. An Exocet missile from Fab following a counter, a fantastic goal following a flowing move from Mo, and a back stick header from Sadio after a great ball in from Hendo had us well on top. Bernardo Silva's consolation was just that. 3-1, we were purring and Guardiola was having a meltdown - Twice! TWICE!! TWIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!! - on the touchline. He can cry all he wants about handball but it was his man that handled the ball first.

October 1995 saw us play City at Anfield twice in the space of a few days. In midweek, we thrashed them 4-0 in the League Cup thanks to goals from Scales, Robbie, Rushie and Harkness. We did even better in the league fixture at the weekend, winning 6-0 with Robbie and Rushie each getting a brace, and Redknapp and Ruddock chipping in with the others. We were excellent in attack that season, and City would go on to be relegated from the top flight despite having Kinkladze in their team. The Georgian was hugely talented but a very inconsistent player. Technically brilliant but didn't offer a thing unless he was on the ball, and even then he didn't produce frequently enough.

On that same weekend, Coolio and LV were top of the charts with 'Gangsta's Paradise'. Sampling Stevie Wonder and featuring in the Michelle Pfeiffer film Dangerous Minds, it was one of the biggest rap hits of the 90s, finding a mainsteam audience as well as credibility within rap circles. Coolio not being a part of the East Coast/West Coast thing probably helped him there even if the subject matter was much the same.

We are on a real downer at the moment. Can't buy a goal at Anfield, players dropping like flies before, during or after games, players who need a breather being asked to put in overtime because other options are having to be utlised elsewhere in the team. Something is broken.

We are capable of getting a win in these circumstances. As I put in the opening paragraph, we used to do that sort of thing against the red Mancs, City, Chelsea or Arsenal quite regularly even if they were miles ahead in the table. City aren't exactly miles ahead but there is a sizeable gap and they've noticeably tightened up defensively this year. There's a Chelsea-under-Shitcoat vibe about them.

Just do whatever it takes to get out there and get the win. No farting about with the no tempo, no movement and no serious goal attempts thing we've been doing a lot lately.

• Upvote 1

Make or break this one for me. Win this and we've still got a title race on our hands. 

2018/19 season we were 7 points clear of Man City, win and we would have gone 10 clear. Probably putting us out of reach. 

We lost though, the only loss of the season and we missed out on the league by one point. 

2020/21 season Man City are 7 points clear, they win and they'll be 10 clear, probably putting them out of reach. 

They have a bastard of a run of fixtures this month or so, starting with us, by the middle of March they could be slumming it out with the rest of us. 

We aren't out if this yet, let's get these cunts smashed. 

I think we’ll lose this game, I just hope it’s not a hammering.

I’d go with the below team; we need to get players into their natural positions asap but it’s too early to have both of the new CB’s playing together.

Alisson

Trent

Hendo

Kabak

Robbo

Fabinho

Gini

Thiago

Mané

Salah

Firmino

12 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Make or break this one for me. Win this and we've still got a title race on our hands. 

2018/19 season we were 7 points clear of Man City, win and we would have gone 10 clear. Probably putting us out of reach. 

We lost though, the only loss of the season and we missed out on the league by one point. 

2020/21 season Man City are 7 points clear, they win and they'll be 10 clear, probably putting them out of reach. 

They have a bastard of a run of fixtures this month or so, starting with us, by the middle of March they could be slumming it out with the rest of us. 

7 clear with a game in hand as it stands.

There is a title race, just about - we aren't in it though.

We are on course to get 69 pts.

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

7 clear with a game in hand as it stands.

There is a title race, just about - we aren't in it though.

We are on course to get 69 pts.

As long as the game in hand isn't against Everton then there's a chance they'll lose it. 

24 minutes ago, Aventus said:

You genuinely believe that we're still in it? City aren't just 7 points ahead, they're 7 points ahead with a game in hand.

We've 16 games remaining and our form sheet for the past 16 games reads like this (P16 W7 D6 L3). We've picked up 27 points in the past 16 games (1.69 ppg) and only twice won back to back games.

Extrapolating that points average over the remaining 16 games would see us finish up on 67 points, the title race is done and dusted and I reckon if we maintain our form for the next 16 matches (ie P16 W7 D6 L3) wr may not make the CL spots.

Edit: If you go back a further 2 games (up until the Everton game) then our ppg is 1.72. I dont see any point in including the matches played before the Everton game for obvious reasons.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Aventus said:

I can't bring myself to believe we are in a race even if we beat them on Sunday.

They are setup so well to beat the shite park the bus type sides and we are struggling now to do that with players missing.

If city lose to us on Sunday they can rattle off another 6 -7 wins on the bounce. We look as if we'll drop points against most of the shite sides we play currently. 

City's record at Anfield is atrocious. There again, so it ours the last few games. I still think we'll win this because the boys will be up for it. Not that I think they havent been up for games recently but as reigning Champions, they'll want to remind their likely successors who they are.

Team is going to depend massively on Alli and Sadio being fit. If they are, they are shoe ins to play.

I cant see either of Kabak or Davies being thrust into making their debuts in this game, just too big a risk to me.

Im going for a spawny 1-0 to us with the goal looping in off someone's, anyone's arse.

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

City's record at Anfield is atrocious. There again, so it ours the last few games. I still think we'll win this because the boys will be up for it. Not that I think they havent been up for games recently but as reigning Champions, they'll want to remind their likely successors who they are.

Team is going to depend massively on Alli and Sadio being fit. If they are, they are shoe ins to play.

I cant see either of Kabak or Davies being thrust into making their debuts in this game, just too big a risk to me.

Im going for a spawny 1-0 to us with the goal looping in off someone's, anyone's arse.

That would require us to shoot.

2 minutes ago, Herp McDerp said:

Could you go back to predicting bummings for us please? I fear you're upsetting the natural order of things here.

He's in his element now. Catastrophisers are in their element when things are going wrong as it validates their negative thinking.

I know from experience.

4 minutes ago, Herp McDerp said:

Could you go back to predicting bummings for us please? I fear you're upsetting the natural order of things here.

I said we'd beat Burnley 1-0 and Brighton 2-0 admittedly. But I also said we'd beat Spuds and West Ham 2-0 as well and we won those two!

I'm sticking with 2-0 to us, and Stirling to get booted in to the back of the Kop by Ben Davies!