You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2021

Bjornebye

On 08/11/2021 at 21:43, sir roger said:

Been catching up on all of the various boxing from the weekend and the only thing left is tge Boxxer thing. Anybody watch it ? Worth a view and any fights need skipping ?

Not a fan of Wonen's boxing in general but the Mayer v Hammadouche unification bout was a barnburner. Might be one for the 'world of a woman' thread but is it just me who has noticed that the women aren't anywhere near as keen on the respect / hugs at the end as the blokes.

Just watched the Mayer fight. One of the best fights I've seen this year, would love to see a rematch. Some absolutely scandalous judging, though. Hammadouche fought Deline Peerson so I'm going to find that tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

Just watched the Mayer fight. One of the best fights I've seen this year, would love to see a rematch. Some absolutely scandalous judging, though. Hammadouche fought Deline Peerson so I'm going to find that tomorrow.

The judge who scored a shutout should be tarred and feathered.

The scoring in the Melendez / Mattice support was terrible too.

Came across as a great guy.

Funny how the the commentator and Barker were just explaining how he was finished just as he sparked Galahad.

On the ' Great Spanish boxers ' discussion , I am old enough to remember Jose Urtain who has a great backstory.

From 1968-1970, Spain's Jose Manuel Ibar "Urtain" was the most feared heavyweight boxer in the world. He was the "Mike Tyson" of his time. His life-story was one of Hollywood fiction; only it was fact. Born to a modest, but slightly poor farming family, Jose Manuel spent his time tending animals on his family's farm and participating in the sport of "rock lifting". As he grew into his teens, his love of "rock lifting" helped him develop an extremely strong and muscular build. One day he was "discovered" by a boxing trainer who was awed by Jose's strength and powerful build. With no formal amateur boxing experience, Jose Manuel made his professional boxing debut on July 24, 1968 in Villafranca, Spain, knocking out Tony Rodri in one round. It was the beginning of an amazing run of 30 consecutive knockout victories which would propel this simple farmer into the most promising heavyweight prospect in 40 years. Dubbed "Urtain", he was considered a "superman". Words like unbeatable and invincible preceded his name in print. He made the cover of the internationally famous Ring Boxing Magazine in 1970. Spanish dictator, General Franco called him the new "El Cid". Pictures of him lifting cars or cattle were plastered in the sport's pages. He starred in a movie about his life. He was destined to be a world champion. And than suddenly, just as quickly as he rose to fame, the myth that was Jose Manuel Ibar Urtain crumbled. The invincible superman turned out to be human after all. Urtain was stopped in 9 rounds by England's Henry Cooper to lose his European Heavyweight Championshipon November 10, 1970. Though he continued to fight until 1977, he never again obtained the greatness or fame of his first two years. On March 12, 1977, he was knocked out in 4 rounds by Jean-Pierre Coopman in an attempt to recapture his European title. The fight marked the end of his career. His record was 56-11-4 with 42 knockouts. He dropped out of the public spotlight until July 21, 1992, when he "fell" out of a hotel window. His death at 49 brought a sad ending to the legend of "Urtain", the man once dubbed as "Boxing's Superman".

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Didn’t realise that was on.  Is this right?

He was a stone heavier than Kiko Martinez and got put away like that? Fucking hell. 

I think it is a mistake , Cap'n . they were both 125 and a quarter pound. Galahad was originally an ounce over the 126 limit , but was given time to lose it.

One of the most shocking things I have seen in boxing for a long time , Galahad was boxing his ears off and then bang.

If you haven't seen the Teri Harper fight it is eye-opening also.

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

I think it is a mistake , Cap'n . they were both 125 and a quarter pound. Galahad was originally an ounce over the 126 limit , but was given time to lose it.

One of the most shocking things I have seen in boxing for a long time , Galahad was boxing his ears off and then bang.

If you haven't seen the Teri Harper fight it is eye-opening also.

Puts me in mind of Herol Graham v Julian Jackson.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Elite said:

Just woke up to see this.

Hahahahaha 

Fuck Galahad the bullying cunt and Hearn the greedy twat.

Galahad is a horrible little shit, 

I subscribe to Tris Dixons podcast and listen to every one of them. The only podcast he's done where I had to turn off was Kid Galahad, he's a lying, cheating little toe rag. 

I could have watched the fight last night, but in all honesty, if galahad was fighting in my front garden, I'd pull the curtains. 

Delighted he got sparked, 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Galahad is a horrible little shit, 

I subscribe to Tris Dixons podcast and listen to every one of them. The only podcast he's done where I had to turn off was Kid Galahad, he's a lying, cheating little toe rag. 

I could have watched the fight last night, but in all honesty, if galahad was fighting in my front garden, I'd pull the curtains. 

Delighted he got sparked, 

Yeah I listen to that as well and agree. Totally dislikable, even when he's putting on his nice guy front. He's a twat.

• Upvote 1

It's easy to dislike Hearn , but to be fair both of his interviews after the respective shocks last night were excellent and he was fulsome in his praise of Baumgartner and Martinez although I'm sure he was gutted.

While I am on amnesty ground I have to say that Bellew is an excellent pundit and brave too , quite often criticising people and practices specifically and never settling for the ' He'll be disappointed with that ' school of commentary. Laura Woods is also improving rapidly as a boxing broadcaster by the outing.

I’ve never bought into the hate for Hearn. You never here of anyone whose fought on his cards complaining and they all get paid after the fight. 

Peiple moan about the cards yet there’s quite a few of his fighters who’ve lost out big time. Just because the sweet Caroline mob havent heard of them doesn’t mean they’re shite. 

Now compare that to the absolute toilet cleaners Frank Warren used to serve us up for the likes of Calzaghe etc. He created the WBO to ensure his stable never come near any danger men which led to boxing being dropped by Sky as the public got fed up with him. 

Hearn got boxing back on the map here. Look at the difference in his shows on DAZN & compare them to how terrible the productions are on BT & especially how amateurish SKY’s are now.

• Upvote 2