You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2021

Bjornebye

Re Ted Kid Lewis

You read the statistics but it is quite hard to actually take in the amounts of fights and weight-hopping these guys did. I can only assume they did very little actual training and just kept fit via fights. 

On a wider point it is strange how old even young guys looked back in the day , always stands out when watching WW1 and WW2 documentaries.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Re Ted Kid Lewis

You read the statistics but it is quite hard to actually take in the amounts of fights and weight-hopping these guys did. I can only assume they did very little actual training and just kept fit via fights. 

On a wider point it is strange how old even young guys looked back in the day , always stands out when watching WW1 and WW2 documentaries.

Probably the pollution from the coal mines, asbestos, ciggie smoking, heavy drinking and shit like that.

The boxers themselves looked old because they had hundreds of bouts in an era where they fought in 5oz horsehair gloves. The damage they took was unreal. 

ShLTZHDWZRkUVhSrgD-lNEaZqDBzZrbzOBsfG6Lf

People talk about the old school fighters not being able to hang with modern fighters because of their speed, but the chins on the old fighters were granite. I reckon if Jake Lamotta was transported into today's welterweight division, he'd be walking through punches laughing to himself. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Boss said:

Probably the pollution from the coal mines, asbestos, ciggie smoking, heavy drinking and shit like that.

The boxers themselves looked old because they had hundreds of bouts in an era where they fought in 5oz horsehair gloves. The damage they took was unreal. 

People talk about the old school fighters not being able to hang with modern fighters because of their speed, but the chins on the old fighters were granite. I reckon if Jake Lamotta was transported into today's welterweight division, he'd be walking through punches laughing to himself. 

Aye , the boxers in the picture are being called together by the ref demanding more action.

SKY SCHEDULE FOR NEXT MONTH OR SO

Sun 31st October -- Jose Zepeda vs Josue Vargas:   WBC Silver Super-Lightweight Title

Sat 6th November --Mikaela Mayer vs Maiva Hamadouche: IBF and WBO super-featherweight titles

Sat 6th November  M&S Bank Arena, Liverpool  --  Boxxer Series – The Super-Lightweights

Sat 20th November -- Richard Riakporhe vs Olanrewaju Durodola:  12 rounds cruiserweight

Caroline Dubois professional debut / Florian Marku v TBC / Hosea Burton vs Dan Azziz

Sat 20th November  -- Terence Crawford vs Shawn Porter:  WBO welterweight title

ESPN SCHEDULE

OCTOBER 30: CHANTELLE CAMERON VS. MARY MCGEE

NOVEMBER 5: MATTEO SIGNANI VS. RUBEN DIAZ

NOVEMBER 13: KID GALAHAD VS. KIKO MARTINEZ

NOVEMBER 13: JAIME MUNGUIA VS. GABE ROSADO

NOVEMBER 19: DEMETRIUS ANDRADE VS. JASON QUIGLEY

NOVEMBER 27: TEOFIMO LOPEZ VS. GEORGE KAMBOSOS

DECEMBER 18: JOSEPH PARKER VS. DEREK CHISORA 2

On 28/10/2021 at 13:21, Boss said:

Yep, see Ali for granite chins.

On 30/10/2021 at 23:51, sir roger said:

The O2 looked about a a quarter full by the time Cameron was fighting. Exaggerated by all the Romford lot clearing off after their guy fought , but Eddie must have been battered for refunds after Whyte pulled out. 

I swerved it last night.

Would have been an okay Saturday night watch with Whyte/Wallin as the main event, but it's very hard to work all week and then spend your Saturday night based around a fight like that.

In a lot of ways, Hearn and Whyte have fucked those girls over. The crowd would have been into it as a co-main but as the main course, it just doesn't work.

• Upvote 2

On 23/10/2021 at 15:30, Belarus said:

Yeah, I thought there was more than one.

Whatever happened to Craig Glover? Did he just decide to jib it after the Billam Smith loss? Really liked him - seemed a nice lad.

Anyone got any insight into this?

Been catching up on all of the various boxing from the weekend and the only thing left is tge Boxxer thing. Anybody watch it ? Worth a view and any fights need skipping ?

Not a fan of Wonen's boxing in general but the Mayer v Hammadouche unification bout was a barnburner. Might be one for the 'world of a woman' thread but is it just me who has noticed that the women aren't anywhere near as keen on the respect / hugs at the end as the blokes.

11 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Was pretty cheeky of BT to want £20 for Canelo/Plant 6 months after Dazn gave us Canelo/Saunders for £1.99. Really didn't help that Saunders and Plant are basically the same fighter.

All platforms are getting cheekier. DAZN planning on charging PPV on top of £7.99 for 1x crap card a month is a joke.

4 hours ago, Elite said:

All platforms are getting cheekier. DAZN planning on charging PPV on top of £7.99 for 1x crap card a month is a joke.

I feel I have had my moneys worth from DAZN so far and am keeping any eye on their talks with BT about CL coverage ( they already have the wonens version on live to test the water ) . BT is the only major sports operator that I don't subscribe to so DAZN taking or sharing their coverage would be ideal for me. I will probably keep DAZN on at the 7.99 until spring and have a review then.

42 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I feel I have had my moneys worth from DAZN so far and am keeping any eye on their talks with BT about CL coverage ( they already have the wonens version on live to test the water ) . BT is the only major sports operator that I don't subscribe to so DAZN taking or sharing their coverage would be ideal for me. I will probably keep DAZN on at the 7.99 until spring and have a review then.

They'll bang the price up to above the current BT Sport price if they have all that football, UFC etc.

The paying customer never benefits. Cunts.

• Upvote 1