You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2021

Bjornebye

On 26/09/2021 at 21:29, Elite said:

Usyk winning last night was great for boxing.

Never seen this thread so busy.

Tempted to bring back the prediction league, but only have it for the big fights. 

On 26/09/2021 at 21:49, Lee909 said:

I'd piss myself if after 2/3 years of the British pushing Joshua vs Fury if the big fight ended up Wilder vs Usyk. 

I doubt it will, but it would be funny 

If Wilder beats Fury this time and there’s no rematch clause, he’ll just keep travelling around America fighting bums until it’s time to cash out. 

4 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Tempted to bring back the prediction league, but only have it for the big fights. 

If Wilder beats Fury this time and there’s no rematch clause, he’ll just keep travelling around America fighting bums until it’s time to cash out. 

He'll do that if he loses too. 

On 26/09/2021 at 22:34, Bjornebye said:

Elite is right, Usyk could batter the planet except Fury. Be some fight though 

It probably will be

What a horrible snide sore losing cunt. And that lip smacking and noises between words if he sat on a train next to me it wouldn't just be his eye closing up the fucking scruff. "a little issue in the fight" what a galactic wanker. If he came out and said "yeah, tactics wrong and he schooled me" sound well done fair play instead its me me me. 

I see what you mean about being on a train, that would send me insane, what's the cunt doing eating anyway, with a microphone, I think I'd have to say something if I was in the press there. 

Yeah me me me and to be honest it's the first time I've really heard him, hopefully the last, cunt. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I see what you mean about being on a train, that would send me insane, what's the cunt doing eating anyway, with a microphone, I think I'd have to say something if I was in the press there. 

Yeah me me me and to be honest it's the first time I've really heard him, hopefully the last, cunt. 

I don't think he's even eating. 

44 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Why does everybody on here detest Joshua so much ? Is he really that bad? 

I don't really detest him it's just that he seems a bit of an arsehole, well he does at that press conference, also I think he's been a bit overblown by the press about his talents and become a media man a bit like David Beckham. 

I don't particularly like Tyson Fury but saying that it's hard not to admire anyone who gets in the ring. 

57 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Mire the circus around him and the false nice guy persona Eddie seemed to want him to try. And probably many just because Hearns a prick and he's the prized cash cow

2 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I don't really detest him it's just that he seems a bit of an arsehole, well he does at that press conference, also I think he's been a bit overblown by the press about his talents and become a media man a bit like David Beckham. 

I don't particularly like Tyson Fury but saying that it's hard not to admire anyone who gets in the ring. 

Yeah I get that it’s just the hatred on here for him seems a bit odd, maybe it’s to do with fast Eddie.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

It's bizarre the abuse he gets. As far as champions go, he's relatively innocuous. His message usually follows the lines of "staying humble". He doesn't portray himself as unbeatable and gives his opponents praise in the build-up to a fight - unless there's a personal grudge there.

He always does an interview / post-fight press conference after a defeat as well. Eddie Hearn was the one who told him to leave the ring against Uysk (to get his eye checked), but he did turn up for the post-fight conference even though he was advised against it.

He's not a sore loser either. He's matter of fact about his losses, and just focuses on righting the wrongs in the rematch. He's also always in exciting fights - which in this day and age of fighters being shit scared of trading with each other is a welcome quality. He's never avoided a challenge either - Floyd Mayweather spent eight years ducking Manny Pacquiao for instance, and is lauded.

I don't find him offensive. But we live in a culture where fighters (and other sportsmen generally) are torn down as soon as they lose. Every facet of their personality is inspected for flaws, even the sound his lips make in between words.

What offended me about the fight card last weekend was the terrible undercard filled with home fighters against bums. The fact that top 10 fighters are fighting barely top 100 fighters in "stay busy fights", which puts the livelihood of those boxers at risk - as we saw with Callum Smith's opponent. The clear fixes like what we saw in the Campbell Hatton vs Sonny Martinez fight, and the vainglorious commentating of Eddie Hearn events in general, pretending these fights are competitive, when they are really just one-sided beatdowns. That kind of stuff offends me. Anthony Joshua, not so much.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

Beckham had more talent. Joshua is fine, heavyweight champion etc but the circus around compared to what he's actually done in the sport is ridiculous. (Olympic gold respect but Audley Harrison won one) 

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Beckham had more talent. Joshua is fine, heavyweight champion etc but the circus around compared to what he's actually done in the sport is ridiculous. (Olympic gold respect but Audley Harrison won one) 

That's what I meant that a bit like Beckham in the way of a media circus, also he's not unlike Bruno. I always thought Beckham a bit of a one trick pony, a good player and no more and find it strange that he's been elevated to what he is today, whatever that is. 

Media etc again marketing him to the type of people who buy into shit but anyway back to boxing yes a gold medal is a great achievement as Silver and Bronze but I don't think the Heavyweight division is much cop and not good to watch for the most part. 

Audley, thanks for reminding me as I'd quite forgotten about him but as you say a Gold medal. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

That's what I meant that a bit like Beckham in the way of a media circus, also he's not unlike Bruno. I always thought Beckham a bit of a one trick pony, a good player and no more and find it strange that he's been elevated to what he is today, whatever that is. 

Media etc again marketing him to the type of people who buy into shit but anyway back to boxing yes a gold medal is a great achievement as Silver and Bronze but I don't think the Heavyweight division is much cop and not good to watch for the most part. 

Audley, thanks for reminding me as I'd quite forgotten about him but as you say a Gold medal. 

Beckham was a superb player, his superstar status clouded his ability to most. Joshua can't fight. ok the Klitschko performance but Klitschko was 175 tears old 

• Downvote 1

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Beckham was a superb player, his superstar status clouded his ability to most. Joshua can't fight. ok the Klitschko performance but Klitschko was 175 tears old 

Nah mate.  Joshua is better at boxing than Beckham ever was at football.  Even though he's lost a couple Joshua is still a top 10 heavyweight.  Beckham was never a top 10 player in the world at football at any time in his whole career.

• Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Nah mate.  Joshua is better at boxing than Beckham ever was at football.  Even though he's lost a couple Joshua is still a top 10 heavyweight.  Beckham was never a top 10 player in the world at football at any time in his whole career.

Not sure that stacks up as a comparative. And that just isn’t true about Beckham either:

He was runner-up in the Ballon d'Or in 1999, twice runner-up for FIFA World Player of the Year and in 2004 was named by Pelé in the FIFA 100 list of the world's greatest living players. He was inducted into the English Football Hall of Fame in 2008 and the Premier League Hall of Fame on 20 May 2021.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, belarus said:

Not sure that stacks up as a comparative. And that just isn’t true about Beckham either:

He was runner-up in the Ballon d'Or in 1999, twice runner-up for FIFA World Player of the Year and in 2004 was named by Pelé in the FIFA 100 list of the world's greatest living players. He was inducted into the English Football Hall of Fame in 2008 and the Premier League Hall of Fame on 20 May 2021.

Beckham was never even the second best player in his own team's midfield.  Don't give me the ballon d'Or and FIFA popularity contest bullshit.

• Downvote 1