You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2021

Bjornebye

19 hours ago, sir roger said:

He'd need a lot of admirable traits to counterbalance this stuff for me , Clive.

After all, Fury has rarely been shy in expressing his backwards beliefs. In a 2013 interview, Fury claimed that he would hang his sister if he deemed her to be promiscuous, and has said he believes that “a woman’s best place is in the kitchen and on her back”.

In the build up to his 2015 fight with Wladimir Klitschko, Fury likened homosexuality to paedophilia and explained that he believes the legalisation of homosexuality and abortion are two of the “three things that need to be accomplished before the devil comes home”.

These comments derailed his hopes of winning Sports Personality of the Year crown back in 2015 but a year later he told fans: “Everyone just do what you can, listen to the government follow everybody like sheep, be brainwashed by all the Zionist, Jewish people who own all the banks, all the papers all the TV stations. Be brainwashed by them all,” before comparing the existence of transgender people to the practice of bestiality, claiming sexual relations with animals would be legalised within 10 years.

My step brother, 20 years younger, helps train the kids at the Maple Leaf Bootle, he posted Take a Bow Tyson and I replied what I thought about and he disagreed saying he's an inspiration, fair play to the man I said but hardly an inspiration to kids with what he comes out with. 

Back to boxing though, didn't he get put down by a light heavy in NY a few years ago? although beating him in the end and I have to hand it to him for getting up each time but I wonder if he'd of got up from say an Ernie Shavers dig? or outboxed who knows. 

Anyone can KO anyone if connecting right, I think Stanley Ketchel put down Jack Johnson albeit he got up and twatted him, he is massive and as someone said that maybe there is a case for a Super Heavyweight division but wouldn't that be not to good to watch from a boxing point of view as how many decent fighters are of that size. 

I can't argue against what he's achieved mind, you can only beat what's in front of you but in another era I'm not so sure, something that will always be debated as in other sports. 

When he was fighting the likes of Cunningham there was nothing riding in them and he was always going to bowl them over. It’s a mark of a great fighter when he can raise his game in the biggest of fights. Just look at his improvement between the first two Wilder fights. Fuck leaving it to the judges, I’m gonna twat him instead. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/chris-eubank-boxer-louis-vuitton-bag-stolen-edgware-road-west-london-b960214.html

"

Mr Eubank’s bag contained personal items including a bandana he wore in the jungle on ITV’s I’m a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! and ID for his role as a city marshal in Opelousas, Louisiana.

There was also a quarter bar of Waitrose Belgian chocolate with hazelnuts.

“That’s what’s really messed up my day,” he added.

“It’s been in there for six days just ready to eat. I like it at that temperature and they took it."

• Upvote 4

On 11/10/2021 at 14:54, easytoslip said:

My step brother, 20 years younger, helps train the kids at the Maple Leaf Bootle, he posted Take a Bow Tyson and I replied what I thought about and he disagreed saying he's an inspiration, fair play to the man I said but hardly an inspiration to kids with what he comes out with. 

Back to boxing though, didn't he get put down by a light heavy in NY a few years ago? although beating him in the end and I have to hand it to him for getting up each time but I wonder if he'd of got up from say an Ernie Shavers dig? or outboxed who knows. 

Anyone can KO anyone if connecting right, I think Stanley Ketchel put down Jack Johnson albeit he got up and twatted him, he is massive and as someone said that maybe there is a case for a Super Heavyweight division but wouldn't that be not to good to watch from a boxing point of view as how many decent fighters are of that size. 

I can't argue against what he's achieved mind, you can only beat what's in front of you but in another era I'm not so sure, something that will always be debated as in other sports. 

Maybe if Tyson Fury goes on the lash in Birkenhead we will find out!

• Upvote 1

Boxing - The Loneliest Sport.

On this day...

'I was born the 15th October 1858. I began prize fighting when I was only nineteen years old. How did I start? Well, I had a prize match with a man who had never been downed, and I was the winner. This got me lots of notice, so I went through the country giving exhibitions. I have made plenty of money in my day, but I have been a fool and today I have nothing. It came easy and went easy.' - John L Sullivan

On this day in 1858, the first ever Heavyweight World Champion of the gloved era was born. That man was none other than The Boston Strong Boy, John L Sullivan.

Prior to his World Championship status in 1885, Sullivan was also widely recognised as the last ever bareknuckle Heavyweight World Champion. With such unprecedented achievements and fistic accolades bestowed upon him, Sullivan achieved the status of being fighting's first ever superstar.

Born to Irish immigrant parents, it was intended for Sullivan to dedicate his life to Catholic priesthood. But Sullivan was lured away from such aspirations by sports, firstly baseball, before embarking on a journey in illegal prize fighting.

During his teenage years, Sullivan gained infamy throughout Boston by walking into saloons and boldly announcing that he 'could lick any man in the house' and with that, a challenge was made. If the challenge was accepted, prize money was agreed and a fight would ensue.

With such activity outlawed, Sullivan often found himself arrested. He was far from deterred however, engaging in hundreds of bareknuckle contests. Sullivan began boxing professionally in 1878 making his debut against Cockey Woods, winning by knockout.

Two years later, Sullivan participated in two exhibition bouts with highly regarded opponents in Professor Mike Donovan and former Champion, Joe Goss. Sullivan established his reputation even further by dominating on both occasions.

The following year, Sullivan fought John Flood in a bout that took place on a boat on the Hudson River to evade the authorities. Once again, Sullivan was victorious, knocking Flood down 8 times and scoring an 8th round knockout.

In 1880, Sullivan squared off against the Heavyweight Champion, Paddy Ryan in a bareknuckle contest. Sullivan defeated Ryan via 8th round knockout. Sullivan also went on an American tour, challenging all comers to last just 4 rounds in the ring with him. Should any challenger be successful in going the distance, they would be rewarded with $1,000. Only one man, an Englishman named Tug Wilson managed to do it.

In 1889, Sullivan fought one of the most legendary contests of his career against Jake Kilrain, a fight regarded by many historians as one of the last significant events in the history of bareknuckle boxing. Sullivan who had to train himself down 240lbs to a modest 205lbs in preparation for the contest, would claim the win. The fight was stopped before the start of the 76th round.

After his defeat of Kilrain, Sullivan's competitive ring activity became increasingly infrequent, instead he toured the country starring in a play entitled Honest Hearts and Willing Hands, with Sullivan starring as the hero.

He did however continue to regularly participate in exhibition bouts. In one such exhibition in San Francisco in 1891, Sullivan sparred with his future opponent, 'Gentleman' Jim Corbett.

On the 7th September 1892, Sullivan and Corbett met in a Heavyweight World Championship contest at the Olympic Club in New Orleans, Louisiana. Despite being 4-1 favourite, Sullivan found himself comprehensively outboxed, with Corbett's scientific ring craft proving superior to Sullivan's attempts to inflict any meaningful damage.

Sullivan finally succumbed to Corbett's punishment in the 21st round, when the exhausted and out of shape Champion retreated to a corner and steadied himself by grabbing the top rope. Corbett stormed in, landing punishing blows and dropping Sullivan to his knees. Sullivan managed to rise from the deck but the onslaught continued until he was felled for the second time, and he was counted out.

The loss to Corbett was not only the solitary loss of Sullivan's career, it would also prove to be his last outing, ushering in a new era for boxing. His final professional record stands at 38-1-1 (32 wins by KO) according to BoxRec, although this is often disputed and doesn't include the hundreds of ungloved bouts Sullivan fought throughout his life.

Sullivan, who had squandered most of his earnings on prolific drinking and good living, surprised all who knew him by denouncing alcohol - even becoming a temperance lecturer. Sullivan kept himself busy after retirement by participating in exhibition bouts and working as a sports reporter, an actor and as celebrity baseball umpire among other ventures.

He saw out the remainder of his years on a farm in Abingdon, Massachusetts before passing away on the 2nd February 1918, aged 59.

His training quarters in Belfast, New York still stand to this day and now serve as the Bareknuckle Boxing Hall of Fame. Sullivan was also posthumously inducted into both the World and International Boxing Halls of Fame.

FB_IMG_1634320753697.jpg