You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2021

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, J-V said:

I'd just like to see Wilder vs Joshua now with Hearn and Joshua taking the rematch so I can see Joshua knocked into next week twice over.

Fury vs Whyte if he beats Wallin which he's likely to do doesn't interest me much.

Bob arum is pushing the idea of paying Joshua to step aside from his usyk rematch, but in return guarantee Joshua the winner - I'm guessing if Joshua took that he'd need a fight in between. Maybe Joshua could take someone like Joe Joyce who should be unlikely to trouble him. But I guess more likely is fury v Whyte, and the rematch happening as planned. 

Usyk, as good as he is, must surely know he’s too small to trouble Fury. If Usyk bests AJ again then Hearn will have him taking all the mandatory defences instead of unifying all the belts. 

Fury would retire straight away if he became undisputed and then the belts will end up all over the place, which wouldn’t be such a bad thing. 

6 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Fury is hugely a product of his upbringing and has a great many admirable traits, along with the unsavoury ones. He talks plenty of shit but also has a hell of a way with words and a pretty decent handle on life for a very rich man who’s world heavyweight champ and all that comes with it. Massively compelling and unique character and for someone with by the sounds of it little formal education to speak of is pretty sharp.

Spot on there mate. 

3 hours ago, KMD7 said:

Would like to see Fury Vs Usyk and Wilder Vs Joshua

Or Fury/Usyk vs Wilder/Joshua in a cage ladder match with Anna Woolhouse at the top of it with nothing on. 

"Let's get ready to ruuuu...... Johnny get off her!" 

He'd need a lot of admirable traits to counterbalance this stuff for me , Clive.

After all, Fury has rarely been shy in expressing his backwards beliefs. In a 2013 interview, Fury claimed that he would hang his sister if he deemed her to be promiscuous, and has said he believes that “a woman’s best place is in the kitchen and on her back”.

In the build up to his 2015 fight with Wladimir Klitschko, Fury likened homosexuality to paedophilia and explained that he believes the legalisation of homosexuality and abortion are two of the “three things that need to be accomplished before the devil comes home”.

These comments derailed his hopes of winning Sports Personality of the Year crown back in 2015 but a year later he told fans: “Everyone just do what you can, listen to the government follow everybody like sheep, be brainwashed by all the Zionist, Jewish people who own all the banks, all the papers all the TV stations. Be brainwashed by them all,” before comparing the existence of transgender people to the practice of bestiality, claiming sexual relations with animals would be legalised within 10 years.

39 minutes ago, sir roger said:

He'd need a lot of admirable traits to counterbalance this stuff for me , Clive.

After all, Fury has rarely been shy in expressing his backwards beliefs. In a 2013 interview, Fury claimed that he would hang his sister if he deemed her to be promiscuous, and has said he believes that “a woman’s best place is in the kitchen and on her back”.

In the build up to his 2015 fight with Wladimir Klitschko, Fury likened homosexuality to paedophilia and explained that he believes the legalisation of homosexuality and abortion are two of the “three things that need to be accomplished before the devil comes home”.

These comments derailed his hopes of winning Sports Personality of the Year crown back in 2015 but a year later he told fans: “Everyone just do what you can, listen to the government follow everybody like sheep, be brainwashed by all the Zionist, Jewish people who own all the banks, all the papers all the TV stations. Be brainwashed by them all,” before comparing the existence of transgender people to the practice of bestiality, claiming sexual relations with animals would be legalised within 10 years.

You could say the same thing about Ali. He called Jews the devil and inferred many times that all white people are the devil (during his Nation of Islam days). He would often call white people 'crackers' during speeches given at Nation of Islam mosques. He also advocated for apartheid at a Ku Klux Clan meeting (where he received a rousing ovation for it).

People say stupid things sometimes. It doesn't mean that everything good about them should be forgotten just because of a handful of quotes. Ali was still a great man, whether he said some unsavoury things or not. 

• Upvote 1

I still wonder how good Fury actually is to be honest. He's far better than the shite around at tbe moment and is just far to big for Usyk(what is it 6" in height and nearly 40lb or so on him). Wilder has shown even someone as limited as he is can actually get through and tag him. If he wasn't 6'9 and the weight he is im not sure he would seem half as good. 

42 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I still wonder how good Fury actually is to be honest. He's far better than the shite around at tbe moment and is just far to big for Usyk(what is it 6" in height and nearly 40lb or so on him). Wilder has shown even someone as limited as he is can actually get through and tag him. If he wasn't 6'9 and the weight he is im not sure he would seem half as good. 

I don’t think that argument holds any weight at all (no pun intended). It’s universally accepted that he is a brilliant boxer in terms of how he creates angles, the way he delivers his jab etc. He does things that you normally see from lighter fighters. That’s actually unique.

The last two fights with Wilder were scrappy in the sense that he completely altered his game plan to just turn the bouts into a war rather than a boxing match. He boxed his head off in the first but got tagged so he realised there’s no point in just boxing his head off you may as well just try to take his head off.

He can do everything.

He absolutely destroyed Wilder across the three fights. The only thing that allowed Wilder to be in the fights was his freakish power. Aside from that, the trilogy was so one sided.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, sir roger said:

Honestly, when I heard him come out with that stuff, I always took it as a sign of a man who was struggling mentally, saying things for bizarre effect. Maybe I'm naive, but it was all a bit too extreme, reminiscent of Tyson (Mike) saying he'd eat Lewis' kids. Like he was trying to frame himself as something others either wanted him - or already thought him - to be.

• Upvote 1

He has never backtracked though has he ?  He apologised for making the comments , but mainly it seemed to reduce the fine he was facing . I have never heard a single positive thing from him about LGBT / Women / Trans /Jewish people in the ensuing years to suggest his opinions have altered.

Anyway I've had my say and everybody is entitled to their opinions ( on here , not his type of opinions )

9 hours ago, Brownie said:

I don’t think that argument holds any weight at all (no pun intended). It’s universally accepted that he is a brilliant boxer in terms of how he creates angles, the way he delivers his jab etc. He does things that you normally see from lighter fighters. That’s actually unique.

The last two fights with Wilder were scrappy in the sense that he completely altered his game plan to just turn the bouts into a war rather than a boxing match. He boxed his head off in the first but got tagged so he realised there’s no point in just boxing his head off you may as well just try to take his head off.

He can do everything.

He absolutely destroyed Wilder across the three fights. The only thing that allowed Wilder to be in the fights was his freakish power. Aside from that, the trilogy was so one sided.

Do you not think there is an argument for a super heavyweight division? We have more and more of these boxers who are so much bigger then the guys who are a bit too big for cruiserweight? It's not like we haven't moved the weights in the past. I've thought for a while now we'd get some better fights if we dropped in a new limit at around 17st and above is super heavy. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Do you not think there is an argument for a super heavyweight division? We have more and more of these boxers who are so much bigger then the guys who are a bit too big for cruiserweight? It's not like we haven't moved the weights in the past. I've thought for a while now we'd get some better fights if we dropped in a new limit at around 17st and above is super heavy. 

Heavyweight isn't exactly stacked though is it?

Both divisions would end up diluted and pretty weak for me.

On 10/10/2021 at 05:55, Byrnie said:

Can't see how Usyk can beat him. Fury is too big and too talented. 

Hell of a performance tonight and hell of a fight.

I'd like to hear from Usyk or Papachenko on how they think they'd beat Fury. It seems like a stylistic nightmare, but Usyk has been doing this for a while, so I'm sure thinks it's doable.

On 10/10/2021 at 05:54, Byrnie said:

Yep. He's lucky he got knocked out. The corner were never stopping it.

Apparently his right hand was broken, too. So they were sending out a one handed fighter, bleeding from his mouth and ear, to get rag rolled by a 280lbs man. It was total lunacy and almost certainly the end of Wilder's prime. Wilder didn't help them by sacking Breland for saving him last time, but they still should have done the right thing and thrown in the towel. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

It sounds good on paper but light heavy and cruiserweight garner such little interest as it is compared to heavyweight and that's why you see the likes of Bellew, Haye, Usyk and Holyfield move up to make some money. And the success of the above fighters (Bellew excepted at heavy) shows that if good enough they can beat larger guys. Plus I can imagine the likes of Hearn and Warren using another weight class as a way of avoiding their cash cows getting exposed before they've milked them. 

Having said all that I'd still like to see how it would pan out

12 hours ago, Lee909 said:

The argument doesn't really stand up because if it did Valuev would never have lost to Haye.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Honestly, when I heard him come out with that stuff, I always took it as a sign of a man who was struggling mentally, saying things for bizarre effect. Maybe I'm naive, but it was all a bit too extreme, reminiscent of Tyson (Mike) saying he'd eat Lewis' kids. Like he was trying to frame himself as something others either wanted him - or already thought him - to be.

Not sure about that, I think it's fairly common knowledge that there's a huge anti Gay rhetoric within the travelling community, without even touching the other subjects.

1 hour ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Not sure about that, I think it's fairly common knowledge that there's a huge anti Gay rhetoric within the travelling community, without even touching the other subjects.

Fair point. Maybe I'm being too generous in cutting him some slack due to his mental struggles, but that's just how I read his outbursts.

2 hours ago, Kevin D said:

It was total lunacy and almost certainly the end of Wilder's prime. 

Was just talking to a mate of mine about this, and said that for all the talk of how Wilder would best the rest of the division, that Wilder from Saturday night won’t be showing up again. Both in terms of the motivation the sheer hatred he had for Fury plus the corner he’d painted himself into with his laughable excuses had fuelled, plus the miles on the clock he’s sustained, plus the sheer despair of losing again despite giving it absolutely everything he had. Be very hard for him to be near that level again, must be close to spent emotionally even apart from the physical side. Of course, that also only gives Fury more kudos for doing that to him at his surely best ever level.

Don't see the forgone conclusion on Fury/Usyk tbh. Fury is a great boxer but he is vulnerable, and pretty sure he has said in the past he has struggled with the smaller man. Steve Cunningham managed to knock him over don't see why Usyk wouldn't be able to do the same.

• Upvote 2