You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2021

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

I'd struggle to think of a sport more negatively affected by it than boxing though. 

In pretty much all other sports and even MMA, the best generally play/fight the best on a regular basis due to greedy promoters and organisations which prevent fights.

• Upvote 1

Only just caught that Manny has retired.

Alongside Duran and Leonard as the greatest living boxers. Maybe only prime Suarez has made me "wow" or just astounded me on such a consistent basis, even when I had sky high expectations.

An absolute pleasure to see it all, even if a lot of it cost me money for being daft enough to bet against the motherfucker.

• Upvote 1

Just watched the final press conference for Fury v Wilder.

Fury is frigging nuts - but looking at it him there just seems to be something not quite right to me this time...he is coming out with all his usual stuff, but it all looks forced to me and it feels to me as if he does not really believe it and he does not look 100% to me.

25 minutes ago, an tha said:

Fury is frigging nuts - but looking at it him there just seems to be something not quite right to me this time...he is coming out with all his usual stuff, but it all looks forced to me and it feels to me as if he does not really believe it and he does not look 100% to me.

I was thinking the same. Plus, everyone getting on this thing with wilder not talking and having his headphones in, like he’s been affected by it all and he doesn’t fancy it. 5/2 on wilder might be worth a punt

6 minutes ago, belarus said:

I was thinking the same. Plus, everyone getting on this thing with wilder not talking and having his headphones in, like he’s been affected by it all and he doesn’t fancy it. 5/2 on wilder might be worth a punt

Wilder seems calm and collected to me....now it could be that he knows he is shot and he is just going through the motions, but equally it could just be confidence and him knowing he is at 100% and fancies job.

We know his power despite his limitations could end fight in blink of an eye....its such a hard fight to predict for that and lots of reasons - literally anything could happen....but Fury does not look right to me, carrying a lot of weight as well and not in a good way - i know he is never a fighter who is in really good shape, but he looked really heavy around the middle to me.

6 hours ago, an tha said:

I just thought it was just because of the lack of a crowd at the press conference. 

He was cracking his usual jokes but there was barely anybody there to react, which is what he feeds off, so it seemed slightly awkward and forced. 

Like watching somebody do stand up in an empty room with nobody to laugh. 

6 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Just watching the second fight again, fucking hell Wilder is a poor fighter. Zero footwork, he looks like a giraffe on stilts.

He's basically a right hook on legs. 

To be fair to Wilder that's far and away the worst he's ever fought.

I don't see anything but another comfortable fury win, on points this time and I don't understand the Malik Scott thing with Wilder,  nobody telling me he's the key to unlocking Fury.

25 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

To be fair to Wilder that's far and away the worst he's ever fought.

I don't see anything but another comfortable fury win, on points this time and I don't understand the Malik Scott thing with Wilder,  nobody telling me he's the key to unlocking Fury.

It just beggars belief that someone with so little actual technique can become so successful. He's fucking awful. Just a big right hand that his opponents keep walking into. Hey, it works for him, but fucking hell.

7 hours ago, Aventus said:

I just thought it was just because of the lack of a crowd at the press conference. 

He was cracking his usual jokes but there was barely anybody there to react, which is what he feeds off, so it seemed slightly awkward and forced. 

Like watching somebody do stand up in an empty room with nobody to laugh. 

Possibly yeah.

I just get this feeling he is not right, hasn't trained hard enough (talk he is going to come in 20lbs heavier than last time and it isn't more muscle) and is not at it...

5 hours ago, General Dryness said:

It just beggars belief that someone with so little actual technique can become so successful. He's fucking awful. Just a big right hand that his opponents keep walking into. Hey, it works for him, but fucking hell.

I think his speed, power and sheer unusual shots are what's got him this far plus he seems to have a decent chin. He didn't really have an amateur career and came into the sport quite late, hence the large number of tune up fights he had. 

I think what he has in common with Fury is looking a lot worse than he is at times, he's got a decent enough jab but seems very static planting his feet and throwing crazy looping haymakers. I've not really analysed it but I think he must have decent footwork to cut off the ring as a lot of his opponents seem stuck on the ropes and the corner. 

4 hours ago, Remmie said:

I think his speed, power and sheer unusual shots are what's got him this far plus he seems to have a decent chin. He didn't really have an amateur career and came into the sport quite late, hence the large number of tune up fights he had. 

I think what he has in common with Fury is looking a lot worse than he is at times, he's got a decent enough jab but seems very static planting his feet and throwing crazy looping haymakers. I've not really analysed it but I think he must have decent footwork to cut off the ring as a lot of his opponents seem stuck on the ropes and the corner. 

He's certainly deceptive. Well he must be doing something right (bar his last fight).