You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2021

Bjornebye

I really believe Usyk held back against Chisora now to look vulnerable, so AJ would take the fight. It really was a masterclass last night.

Hearn always puts rematch clauses in contracts. It's a load of bollocks that a man so soundly beaten gets an immediate rematch but it's the old cliché, it is what it is.

Joshua is far too gun shy since Ruiz, he's scared to death of getting caught unless it's against 40 year old men like Pulev and Povetkin.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Elite said:

I really believe Usyk held back against Chisora now to look vulnerable, so AJ would take the fight. It really was a masterclass last night.

I think that's a load of bollocks to be honest. Styles make fights, Del Boy has a relentless style that does take some fighters a while to figure out, Klit struggled with him a bit too. 

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

Usyk really was on his game tonight.

The first round when he was feinting on the front foot, we were all wondering if he could keep that crazy level of activity up for 12 rounds, then he really spanked AJ in the second round and we all piled on an Usyk decision.

I'd be very interested to see an Usyk/Fury fight. It is clear Usyk has Joshua's number, but how he adapts to a gigantic Fury who is smart enough not to box and use his size and considerable weight will be really fascinating.

Yeah that's the fight that we need to see now but boxing politics will get in the way.

I think Usyk is capable of beating Fury as well, as he's struggled with smaller fighters in the past however Fury knows how to use all his physical attributes and can fight on the inside brilliant unlike Joshua. Fury is the slight favourite for me but Usyk is capable of beating anyone, you won't find a fight with a better pedigree.

Surely Joshua will try and put it on him in the rematch though. His only chance appears to flattening him with a big right in the first 4/5 rounds. 

The Dazn commentary was hilarious throughout I thought. "Usyk looks tired" after about the 6th/7th round. "Joshua has worked him out and made the right adjustments".

2 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I think that's a load of bollocks to be honest. Styles make fights, Del Boy has a relentless style that does take some fighters a while to figure out, Klit struggled with him a bit too. 

Yes, Chisora basically did what Joshua should have done. Roll the dice early. 

2 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Chisora is wank mate. Maybe Usyk did struggle a bit but I think he personally didn't leave 2nd gear and still won easily.

21 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I just don't see the point in taking any risks in a heavyweight fight when there are much bigger prizes at stake. He'd still be mandatory and AJ only took this fight because the Fury fight didn't work out. 

Mandatory's can be avoided especially with the amount of money at stake in heavyweight boxing, particularly AJ but the reason I think Usyk coasted was that he spent his amateur career beating heavyweights, spars heavyweights and dominated one of the best heavyweights on the planet last night, who is much better than Chisora.

I'm not discounting he may have struggled with Chisora's brash, brawling style but Usyk will have dealt with all that before and maybe knew he could win in 2nd gear.

If Usyk would have absolutely destroyed Chisora, I don't think AJ would have been as keen to take the fight. He could have vacated his WBO belt which is better than losing all his belts.

11 minutes ago, Anubis said:

There’s a rematch clause. Hearn doesn’t trust his fighters so likes an insurance policy.

I can understand a rematch clause if its a champion who's had the belt/s for a long time, one mistake and they can lose everything and the winner can run off and never give them a rematch. 

Hearn takes the piss though, having a rematch clause for Whyte for an interim title he only defended once before losing it to Povetkin. 

Should be a minimum number of defences before you're allowed rematch clauses, and real titles only. 

Did anyone else get on to AJ’s reaction when the result was announced? He looked shocked.

Thought he could have stayed in the ring if at the end. That’s how he portrays himself and I thought he was a tiny bit arrogant (granted he’d just lost but he was outclassed and talks about respect a lot) 

He needs to fuck Hearn off as well. All that showmanship at the start set the tone for Usyk. It was (mentioned a gazillion times already) like Apollo walking in to fight Drago. There was only ever gonna be one winner after that. 

Shame, as I like AJ as a person and a role model, but he appears to be too much of a brand than a heavyweight champion boxer at the moment. And I blame Hearn for that. 

He’s maybe, just starting to be looked at as  a marginally better than Bruno. Missing that extra something to be a classed as a truly great champion/boxer outside of the UK.

For me, he lost that fight in the 3rd round when Usyk rattled him.

He never got his head round the fight after that. 

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

Surely Joshua will try and put it on him in the rematch though. His only chance appears to flattening him with a big right in the first 4/5 rounds. 

The Dazn commentary was hilarious throughout I thought. "Usyk looks tired" after about the 6th/7th round. "Joshua has worked him out and made the right adjustments".

There was a brief point around the 6th or 7th that Joshua seemed to get a second wind and Usyk was either tired or taking some time off. It did also seem that Joshua had managed to cut the ring off on Usyk and control the distance better, but it was fairly fleeting.

So pleased Usyk did it. Really don’t like Joshua, but credit to him with his comments after about not sulking or being upset. He’s got a good frame of mind in that respect 

Usyk absolutely battered him. A rematch would be pointless it will be Hearn milking his cash cow. Fury would absolutely destroy Joshua and as much as we want to see it, the potentially biggest fight in British history is dead in the water. Credit to Joshua for the Klitschko fight, that was a tear up but again of Klitschko was 10 years younger it would have been a slaughter. The myth is gone and a lot of us knew it years ago. 

Anyway , same as the last two fights I worry Wilder is gonna land one on Fury but he always proves us wrong. 

Fury v Usyk is intriguing 

I respect Anthony Joshua, win or lose because he's always in exciting fights. He does give his all, even if his best isn't good enough - like last night. Uysk was unbelievable last night. Maybe the best defence for a heavyweight since a young Muhammed Ali. His non-stop head movement meant Joshua barely landed a clean jab all night, and McCracken's style is built on setting everything up off the jab. 

He needs to leave McCracken and go and train with Freddie Roach (or another attack-minded coach). I understand McCracken has tried to make him a more patient, technical boxer. But he's just technically not on the level of Uysk or Fury - and never will be. He needs to play to his strengths. Use his size and his power to bulldoze his opponents.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Boss said:

I respect Anthony Joshua, win or lose because he's always in exciting fights. He does give his all, even if his best isn't good enough - like last night. Uysk was unbelievable last night. Maybe the best defence for a heavyweight since a young Muhammed Ali. His non-stop head movement meant Joshua barely landed a clean jab all night, and McCracken's style is built on setting everything up off the jab. 

He needs to leave McCracken and go and train with Freddie Roach (or another attack-minded coach). I understand McCracken has tried to make him a more patient, technical boxer. But he's just technically not on the level of Uysk or Fury - and never will be. He needs to play to his strengths. Use his size and his power to bulldoze his opponents.

Unless they can conquer his fear of being knocked out, I'm not sure it will help. He's scared to engage.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BCM said:

Rematch should be in the Ukraine. Usyk deserves to fight in front of his own after travelling around beating all on their own turf.

I hate seeing Hearn controlling things like this....

In my view Joshua should get to the back of the line now..he lost these belts once and got an immediate chance to win them back and now he gets one again and even worse probably in his own backyard or place of his camps choosing - it is wrong IMO.

Usyk is the man now so he should call shots, sadly it is not case though and of course its often this way and has been for years and yeard and years...but i hate it.