You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2021

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

Someone was telling me that Galahad’s a scouser and moved out when he was in his teens. Surprised that more wasn’t made of this as the echo claim anyone whose stepped foot here for 5 minutes as one of us. 

He moved there at a young age from Yemen I think it was. His dad is from there and his mum is from Sheffield. He moved to Liverpool once his parents sent for him after starting the family business, but they weren’t here long. His dad went back to Yemen and his mum took him back to Sheffield. He always refers to himself as Sheffield too. Like Sheffield v Leeds against Warrington 

14 minutes ago, belarus said:

He moved there at a young age from Yemen I think it was. His dad is from there and his mum is from Sheffield. He moved to Liverpool once his parents sent for him after starting the family business, but they weren’t here long. His dad went back to Yemen and his mum took him back to Sheffield. He always refers to himself as Sheffield too. Like Sheffield v Leeds against Warrington 

Probably  why then. They interviewed him before the fight last night trying to talk up a rematch but fair play to

him, he wasn’t having it and said this was warringtons night and nothing should deflect from that. He seemed genuine when he was saying he hoped he’d win and fancied him to get it. 

3 hours ago, belarus said:

I think it’s easy for him to keep shouting about that first fight because it was a slightly questionable decision. He keeps that narrative up and half agree with him, especially after Warrington vacating to avoid him after. He doesn’t need him now. Not sure who Warrington will get a chance to get a belt off now - will be avoided at all costs as high risk and he’s not in a driving seat anymore.

Yeah - I think I agree with you on Galahad. He’s a strange lad isn’t he? He seems a bit dead headed and cold mostly, but then surprises me with some things he comes out with. I like his simple and focused approach to boxing - it’s everything to him, day in day out.

Edit - he was defo in the car with Saunders when he did that video too. Tris Dixon had him there and obviously heard or knows stuff being in and around the game

Yeah definitely.

Seems like a bit of a bully.

2 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Ken Burns has made an eight hour documentary series about Ali which starts in a few days. If his last couple are anything to go by it should be incredible. 

Nice. Just looked into it, looks like it will be 4 episodes starting on Sunday.

Boxing - The Loneliest Sport

'I went to New York to win the championship. I wouldn't have gone if I did not think I could win. I was confident. But Ali beat me at my own game.

He did the same thing to Liston. Williams, another big puncher, Ali knocked him out in short order. Terrell, the great jabber, what happened to him? He got outjabbed. And Patterson, the guy with superspeed hands, couldn't match Ali and just stood around and got punched to pieces.

The right hands Ali hit me with just had no business landing—but they did. They came from nowhere. Many times he was in the wrong position but he hit me anyway. Blatt! and the punch connected. I've never seen anyone who could do that. The knockdown punch was so fast that I never saw it.

He has lots of snap, and when the punches land they dizzy your head; they fuzz up your mind. The first time I went down, I wasn't hurt, but I didn't know what had happened.

Suddenly I became aware of the noise and then I saw Ali standing over me, and I figured I was down. So I wheeled around to look at my corner, to find out the count. I kept thinking, was that a right hand he hit me with? So what did he do but hit me with the same punch again in the seventh round and knock me out. I can't believe it, but that's what he did.

He's smart. The trickiest fighter I've seen. He's had 29 fights and acts like he's had a hundred. He could write the book on boxing, and anyone that fights him should be made to read it first.

I did things to Ali that have never been done before. He missed more punches and landed fewer than with all of those other guys he's been in with. I also cut the ring on him, reduced it so consistently that he chose to stand and fight. He's a safety-first fighter, no matter how foolish he looks. And I made him fight.

That could have been my worst mistake, making him fight. I hurt him to the body, but he's tough. You can tell from the way he's put together that he's got pride. The man's a real fighter. Look at the way he acts out of the ring and you can see that. In the ring the guy doesn't show when he's been hurt. Not even the smallest sign, the way most fighters do. He beat me good, but he didn't beat me bad.

There's just no way to train yourself for what he does: the moves, the speed, the punches and the way he changes style every time you think you got him figured. Wendell Newton, my sparring partner, jumped around and he was awkward, but he wasn't Ali. Ali is something else.

I fought middleweights, even smaller men and they weren't as fast. This guy has a style all of his own. It's far ahead of any fighter's around today, so how could those oldtime fighters, you know, Dempsey, Tunney or any of them keep up? Louis wouldn't have a chance—he was too slow. Marciano couldn't get to him, and he would never get away from Ali's jab.

The only one who would have a good chance was Ezzard Charles, a real fast heavyweight who was smart and was perhaps the best combination puncher of them all.' - Zora Folley 

FB_IMG_1632392911646.jpg

• Upvote 3