You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2021

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

It is, yes. 

Kevin D just hates all scousers. 

I actually like Smith a lot when he has no investment in either fighter. He's a perceptive analyst, I think it's because he had to negotiate a good career without any standout attributes.

24 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

We're in the part when Whyte pretends he didn't turn down Pulev for the IBF mandatory, turned down Ortiz in the WBC eliminator and £5m for Joshua in Wembley May 2019 for 3 titles.

Sky tend to leave this out of their "most avoided man" shtick, so I'll substantiate it:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/boxing/dillian-whyte-vs-kubrat-pulev-anthony-joshua-deontay-wilder-ibf-a8286011.html

https://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/story/_/id/23309418/dillian-whyte-luis-ortiz-eliminator-ordered-wbc-provides-title-status-updates

https://metro.co.uk/2019/01/31/dillian-whyte-slams-eddie-hearn-says-anthony-joshua-fight-wembley-isnt-happening-8422751/

Curiously, Pulev getting his mandatory shot at Joshua for the IBF, Ortiz at Wilder for the WBC, and Ruiz jumping on that AJ date(which went from Wembley in April to New York in June against Miller, then Miller failed all those drug tests) don't come up a lot.

1 minute ago, littletedwest said:

I hadn't realised your uncles boxing capabilities were so important for a successful career. 

It's a parody account taking the piss out of how in the tank the Sky presenters are.

He's always on brand, posts that photo to demonstrate how ridiculous Matchroom FC sound.

• Upvote 1

https://www.facebook.com/108477570750572/posts/276101887321472/

Boxing - The Loneliest Sport

'Few human beings have fought each other more savagely or more often than Harry Greb and I. We punched and cut and bruised each other in a series of bouts, five of them. The first of the five is for me an enduring memory, a memory still terrifying. I was in bad shape for the bout. This was in the time when my hands were chronically ailing with imperfectly mended fractures, sore and swollen....

Before going into the ring Novocain was shot into them to deaden the pain that would ensue upon striking blows. Moreover, I had above my left eye a half-healed cut sustained in training. Adrenalin chloride was injected into the eyebrow to prevent the cut from bleeding too much if reopened by Greb's punches.

Then the bout started, and the nightmare began. In the first exchange of the fight I sustained a double fracture of the nose which bled continually.... Toward the end of the first round my left eyebrow was laid open four inches.

In the third another cut over the right eye left me looking through a red film. For the better part of 12 rounds I saw a red phantom-like form dancing before me. It is impossible to describe the bloodiness of this fight.... How I ever survived the 13th, 14th and 15th rounds is still a mystery to me.

All five of our fights were of that order of savagery. My showing became better from one to another—and in the last one I beat Harry about as badly as he had beaten me in the first. The ferocity of the hammering Greb took is indicated by a remark he made toward the end.

In a clinch, he said, 'Gene, don't knock me out.' That from Harry Greb was monumental. No one was gamer. Pain and punches meant nothing to him—the cruel mauling, the bruising punishment.

But Harry, hopelessly beaten, didn't want the folks back home to read that he had been knocked out. I was never paid a higher tribute. Here was one of the greatest fighters of all time laying down his shield, admitting defeat and knowing I would not expose him....

Greb was curiously secretive in pride, oddly vain. He was concerned about his looks.... When tough Harry Greb went to one of the roughhouse, slugging brawls for which he was famous, he took with him not merely his pugilistic equipment, trunks, bathrobe, ring shoes.

Invariably he carried along a comb and brush, mirror, and—marvel at it—a powder puff! Going into the ferocious fracas, he always had his hair plastered down with stickum. This was one of the strangest eccentricities I ever observed in the realm where fists thud into the human visage....

Harry Greb's vanity about his looks cost him his life. Retiring from the ring with a substantial and hard-earned fortune, his first concern was his nose, flat and shapeless from countless punches and repeated fractures. Like an aging society beauty, he resorted to plastic surgery.

He died on the operating table while his nose was being made shapely.... He and I remained the best of friends, with never the slightest bit of anger or ill will.'

- Gene Tunney

FB_IMG_1616923656891.jpg

• Upvote 3