You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

The owners have been very keen to point out that covid has left our finances significantly worse off, but that only works as an excuse for under-investment if you ignore the fact that 99% of clubs are in an even worse position than we are. A retreating tide strands all ships even if they want to pretend our yacht is the only one affected.

Not sure that means anything to be honest. What other clubs do is irrelevant to our finances - to many fans point out what other clubs are spending without ever considering whether they should be doing so. Considering we make about £80m a year from match days and that has been lost this year is different from a club like Everton who make about £20m a year from match day revenue. We are clearly losing more because we make more, same with United. 

23 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I think we’ll keep Ox, bin Keita and the Weeble, and bring at least one very good midfielder in. Fab, Hendo, Milner, Thiago, Ox, Jones and new boy.

That's what I'm expecting. Grujic, Wilson and Origi to go as well and maybe Mini too. Should be more than enough for a young striker. 

Just now, aws said:

That's what I'm expecting. Grujic, Wilson and Origi to go as well and maybe Mini too. Should be more than enough for a young striker. 

Yep, that Malen was quoted as being about £25m - I think that is Shaq and Origi money (and that young lad who we have just got a permit for). Same with Grujic, and Wilson - they can probably get Aourar who is rumoured to be about £25m. Not that anything is every as straight forward as we make it out - but, I'm comfortable with selling the deadwood to buy. 

1 minute ago, Jockey said:

Not sure that means anything to be honest. What other clubs do is irrelevant to our finances - to many fans point out what other clubs are spending without ever considering whether they should be doing so. Considering we make about £80m a year from match days and that has been lost this year is different from a club like Everton who make about £20m a year from match day revenue. We are clearly losing more because we make more, same with United. 

But we're a bigger club, so it stands to reason we lose more; at the same time, it also means we're much more resilient to losses. Or should be.

4 minutes ago, Jockey said:

And our wage bill is way higher too. It’s all about percentages. We have higher income, we also have much higher costs. So it’s going to have pinched us pretty hard. Whether or not FSG should just put money in so we can take advantage of a downturn in the market is debatable, i personally think they should. Put money into Haaland, it’ll pay off in the end. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

But we're a bigger club, so it stands to reason we lose more; at the same time, it also means we're much more resilient to losses. Or should be.

I get that, and that is a fair counter point - we probably are. But I don't think that we can ignore that we are standing to lose over £100m! It will affect finances - it has to with any sustainable business. It would be prudent to sell the deadwood first and take stock over what you can spend. If we get £50m for Grujic, Wilson, Shaq, Origi and Awoniyi - then we can decide who to buy. If we can sell Mini then that may mean Bissouma is an option, if Atletico come in with a decent bid for Keita then maybe we can get Neuhaus. I think the sales will dictate who we can buy so it seems to make sense to me to sell first. 

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Surely it is all about percentages.

If you lose 80m revenue and your usual turnover is 400m...that is same as losing 30m if your usual turnover is 150m....

Our wage bill hasn't decreased though has it? I think the issue is that we make far more than average clubs on a match day e.g. more per seat. 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

If the ox can stay fit* he's a valuable squad player and the homegrown quota thing. Gutted he got that injury against Roma, he was on his way to being a top player for us. 

*giphy.gif

Yeh I agree.  Prepared to give Ox another go . His goal was a glimpse of what he offers from midfield if fit.

Keita on the other hand is a dud. 

18 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

And our wage bill is way higher too. It’s all about percentages. We have higher income, we also have much higher costs. So it’s going to have pinched us pretty hard. Whether or not FSG should just put money in so we can take advantage of a downturn in the market is debatable, i personally think they should. Put money into Haaland, it’ll pay off in the end. 

Don’t the club have issues with Raiola?

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The owners have been very keen to point out that covid has left our finances significantly worse off, but that only works as an excuse for under-investment if you ignore the fact that 99% of clubs are in an even worse position than we are. A retreating tide strands all ships even if they want to pretend our yacht is the only one affected.

But we're the only ones smart enough to know we're in desperate trouble. Like we were after winning the European cup. That was a shocking economic time to get through. 

I’ve skimmed through the last few pages.

Are posters complaining, on a day we’ve committed to a new £35m defender, we’re not going to spend enough money?

After VVD, Pearce’s articles always say this sort of stuff. “Liverpool aren’t close to signing Alisson”. “Liverpool are only monitoring Thiago”.

Yardy-Yardy-Ya.

Hilarous how the “payroll journalists” are discredited when they write good news but sound enough when they post disappointing news. 

Taking last summer as an example, let’s see how things pan out over the summer before pissing our pants that we haven’t signed another left back, a midfielder and forward, before, y’know, we signed players on those positions. 

Because from last few pages, the same boring cunts are already setting the agenda for the next few months. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, magicrat said:

Yeh I agree.  Prepared to give Ox another go . His goal was a glimpse of what he offers from midfield if fit.

Keita on the other hand is a dud. 

He won't stay fit, doesn't matter what he can offer because the only thing you can be certain of is he will be out injured most of the time, a waste of wages.

26 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Ox has been in every matchday squad since before Xmas ( bar his sickie in the late season game - Burnley ? ), Jurgen just hasn't played him.

There will be a reason either his fitness was an issue or he just doesn't trust him, either way Ox offers very little. He has moments most premier league footballers should have moments they're at the elite level, so many chances he has had in the past he hasn't taken. Im not hating on the lad I just think he's pointless. Saying that.. he's really not on any kind of priority list of keeping or getting rid of. If we keep him fine if we sell him, good. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

There will be a reason either his fitness was an issue or he just doesn't trust him, either way Ox offers very little. He has moments most premier league footballers should have moments they're at the elite level, so many chances he has had in the past he hasn't taken. Im not hating on the lad I just think he's pointless. Saying that.. he's really not on any kind of priority list of keeping or getting rid of. If we keep him fine if we sell him, good. 

I’m biased because I like him, I think he’s a good footballer, and he’s a bit different to the rest of the players in that at his best he drives forward with the ball and is never afraid to have a pop. I have lost a bit of faith in him, especially after the injury at the start of the last season. I think the thing with Ox is he takes a couple of games go get going, you always see in the first one or two games after a stint out, he often struggles to get to the rhythm of the game and find his touch. It didn’t help in that from the second half of the season every game was almost a must win for us. If we get a good offer for him I think we should sell, but I’d really like to see how he does in a completely injury-free season though, not sure how likely that is. 

29 minutes ago, RoyHodgeGone said:

So we've haven't got to the end of May and we've already spent £35m. 

I like the look of Hakan Calhanoglu too.

Big question is whether any clubs are going to be able to sign our surplus to requirements.

Unless we change our formation I don’t think we have a position for him. Having said that, I’m not averse to us changing formations. I think we have the personnel to go 4-2-3-1.

6 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Not really as we’re paying pre pandemic wages  and bonuses in a post pandemic world, it’s significant.

No way an excuse, but it is a pretty big factor.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jockey said:

Our wage bill hasn't decreased though has it? I think the issue is that we make far more than average clubs on a match day e.g. more per seat. 

Our wage bill as a % of our turnover is reasonable...a lot lower than the shites for example, which is highest in league.