manwiththestick

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

4 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

The more I think about it, the funnier it gets to think of Harry Kane (the only client of an agency which is run by his brother and assisted by their dad) relying on a “gentleman’s agreement” with Daniel Levy to secure his departure.

Yeah, but there's swings and round about to things like that. If levy really wants to fight to keep kane, well he'll feel there's nothing in his contract, so he's sounds. Equally as a major figure in the spurs dressing room, if the fuck kane, a local lad too, they'll fuck anyone. Contracts are sound and all that, but sometimes reputational damage can be more painful than any contract clause. 

4 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

You either heard it wrong or they are wrong.

I was shocked too. Not that I think he's slow. I think they said either 4th fastest defender or 4th fastest centre back. 

If we sell Origi this summer and need an impact player to come off the bench and create havoc without costing a fortune, I reckon Mihail Antonio could be a clever ‘moneyball’ buy. He’s lightning quick, strong as an ox, and decent in the air and he knows it too. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, aRdja said:

If we sell Origi this summer and need an impact player to come off the bench and create havoc without costing a fortune, I reckon Mihail Antonio could be a clever buy. He’s lightning quick, strong as an ox, and decent in the air. 

And has hamstrings make of rejected parts for Joel Matip

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, aRdja said:

If we sell Origi this summer and need an impact player to come off the bench and create havoc without costing a fortune, I reckon Mihail Antonio could be a clever ‘moneyball’ buy. He’s lightning quick, strong as an ox, and decent in the air and he knows it too. 

I’d rather have a player to compete for the first team and have 5/6 players of genuine quality rather somebody as “impact”.

And Patrick Bamford wouldn’t meet that requirement either! 

Obviously Sunday’s result might decide who that is.

Wonder if we've already a deal done for Origi to somewhere. Odd that he isn't getting even a minute with our attackers running on empty and Jota injured. 

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Wonder if we've already a deal done for Origi to somewhere. Odd that he isn't getting even a minute with our attackers running on empty and Jota injured. 

Fingers crossed.

I do wonder how much a statue of him would cost make. 

19 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Likely more than we'll get in a transfer fee for him.

Oh, ye of little faith...

Bournemouth are potentially on their way up, if they'll take Solanke and Ibe for £20m a piece, they'll pay double for Big Div.

MOnEyBallZ.

16 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I was shocked too. Not that I think he's slow. I think they said either 4th fastest defender or 4th fastest centre back. 

I believe it was 4th fastest fit CB at Liverpool.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Fingers crossed.

I do wonder how much a statue of him would cost make. 

Just leave the real thing outside the ground.

Amount he runs about, nobody will be any the wiser.

23 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

So the chavs offer Werner and Abraham plus 10m for Kane, I imagine Werner feels great

(just seen the source for it, so forget)

Sucked in by Indykaila!

• Upvote 2

Kabak has a top speed in the Champions League this season of almost 33kph which is pretty fast. He’s clearly got pace. I think the issue is he can be a bit slow on the turn giving an attacker a bit of a head start making him look slower than he actually is. 

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/clubs/players/250103777--ozan-kabak/statistics/

He’s also very, very good in the air and I feel like that is clear just from watching him so I don’t know where the idea he’s poor in that area comes from. He’s rated as good as Konate in the air despite being shorter. He’s got a great leap on him.

This is from The Athletic article on Konate:

Aerial duels in open play and beating players one-on-one are where Konate excels, though. He’s already a good size to challenge anyone in the air but pairing that with a good leap makes him nearly unbeatable.

His rating of 92 out of 99 is similar to the likes of Van Dijk and Matip, and among players aged 21 and younger in Europe, only Nice’s Stanley Nsoki and current Liverpool man Ozan Kabak are deemed to be better duellers by smarterscout. That’s reinforced by Statsbomb data on fbref, as no player in the past year to date has won a higher proportion of their aerial duels than Konate’s 84.1 per cent.

He’s much better than Phillips imo and I’d definitely sign him. His biggest fault for me is his positioning which is why despite being dominant in the air and pretty quick it can sometimes look like he isn’t as he gets caught under the ball or out of position leaving himself with too much to do when he tries to catch the attacker. 

Positioning can be sorted though, it’s to be expected that positioning is a bit iffy with a young defender. Same with Trent as I see positioning as his biggest problem too defensively, just knowing when is the right time to go forward and when to drop back. But that will come as they get older. 

F42E3422-345E-4F59-86BD-752B5A3E5C24.png

Would you sign him even if we sign Konate, and it means we won’t get a midfielder and he’s be benched most of the time, Rapey? Because that’s how I see it. I mean, if it’s just a ‘sign him or not with no other factors’ then of course, it’s not my money. It’s only when you consider the other players we need that it becomes 20m we can put elsewhere. I’m thinking Gini’s replacement. 

I'd sign Kabak and Konate because it must be doubtful how available our injured CBs will be next season. Virgil and Joe are not going to be playing twice a week very often and we know all about Matip's record. If they recover well then we can look to sort out our CB surplus next year. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Would you sign him even if we sign Konate, and it means we won’t get a midfielder and he’s be benched most of the time, Rapey? Because that’s how I see it. I mean, if it’s just a ‘sign him or not with no other factors’ then of course, it’s not my money. It’s only when you consider the other players we need that it becomes 20m we can put elsewhere. I’m thinking Gini’s replacement. 

I think we can probably get him for lower than the £18mil in the agreement with Schalke with them being skint and relegated, especially if he tells them he only wants to come here. And for that price I think we’d be stupid not to sign him. 

Phillips has done great for us but he isn’t good enough, not for a team that wants to challenge City for the title and win the champions league again, so I’d sell him unless he’s happy to stay and just play in the domestic cups barring another injury crisis. And I think he deserves more than that. 

That’ll leave us with Matip, Gomez and Virg who are all coming off long term injuries (and in the case of Matip and Gomez seemingly incapable of playing a full season) and who may not be 100% ready for the new season. And Konate who has barely played this season and will take time to get up to speed. Kabak has already acclimatised to the Prem. 

Ideal world we’d get rid of Matip, even on a free but don’t know how realistic that is due to his wages. 

I’m expecting Konate, a centre mid circa £40mil like Bissouma and a forward of the quality of Mallen, someone for around £30-35mil. If that’s the case I’d like to think we could add Kabak to them considering we’re likely to have a few outgoings this summer. 

Obviously if we had a chance of signing someone like Sancho and we needed the Kabak money for that I’d be happy not to sign him but I don’t see a big money signing happening. 

James Pearce in the Athletic today wrote that we're "unlikely" to sign Kabak now. 

I do think he's decent for his age, but if we're signing that Konate lad then spending £18m on a 5th choice centre back might not make the most economic sense given we have other holes in the squad to fill such as Gini's replacement and, hopefully, an elite attacker. 

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

I think we can probably get him for lower than the £18mil in the agreement with Schalke with them being skint and relegated, especially if he tells them he only wants to come here. And for that price I think we’d be stupid not to sign him. 

Phillips has done great for us but he isn’t good enough, not for a team that wants to challenge City for the title and win the champions league again, so I’d sell him unless he’s happy to stay and just play in the domestic cups barring another injury crisis. And I think he deserves more than that. 

That’ll leave us with Matip, Gomez and Virg who are all coming off long term injuries (and in the case of Matip and Gomez seemingly incapable of playing a full season) and who may not be 100% ready for the new season. And Konate who has barely played this season and will take time to get up to speed. Kabak has already acclimatised to the Prem. 

Ideal world we’d get rid of Matip, even on a free but don’t know how realistic that is due to his wages. 

I’m expecting Konate, a centre mid circa £40mil like Bissouma and a forward of the quality of Mallen, someone for around £30-35mil. If that’s the case I’d like to think we could add Kabak to them considering we’re likely to have a few outgoings this summer. 

Obviously if we had a chance of signing someone like Sancho and we needed the Kabak money for that I’d be happy not to sign him but I don’t see a big money signing happening. 

I think we need to buy Haaland. That’s it. That’s all I’ve got.