Jump to content
manwiththestick

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Why would anyone think that we are going to be spending any money, unless they were in absolute dreamland?

 

It's exact the same position as last summer, except even worse.  The club has lost shitloads of money due to Covid, for the second year in a row and it will likely be more money than last year.

 

FSG have shown they will not put any of their own money in, but will just spend what the club makes.

The club has lost shitloads, so the only way we could potentially buy anyone is if we sell a few players.  However every club in the world, bar the oil cheats, is in the exact same position as us, or worse, so selling any players for any big money is going to be nigh on impossible.  We're more than likely going to be stuck with our high wage earners for that reason too.

 

Our one slim chance of selling anyone for a decent wedge is if Man City, Chelsea or PSG decide to spend big bucks on someone and we get in the chain.  However that's also not going to be that great, because it will probably mean we've sold Mo to PSG.

 

Jota type deals were we pay a minimum up front with more backloaded to the end of the contract are the absolute best we can hope for, and I wouldn't really be expecting those either.

We have enough players who aren’t contributing who we could offload to bring players in. For example; Origi (£15m), Shaqiri (£15m), Keita (£25m), Bobby (£25m). That’d be enough to bring in Bissouma and say Bamford or Jimenez. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

We have enough players who aren’t contributing who we could offload to bring players in. For example; Origi (£15m), Shaqiri (£15m), Keita (£25m), Bobby (£25m). That’d be enough to bring in Bissouma and say Bamford or Jimenez. 

I will buy you a pint of expensive craft IPA if we manage to sell even one of those players for the fee you mention.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I will buy you a pint of expensive craft IPA if we manage to sell even one of those players for the fee you mention.

You’ve got yourself a deal Jose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Summer 2021 will be the same as almost every other year.

  • Probably sign someone very early in the window.
  • People spend most of the window listing our dross/fringe players/permacrocks and values we can get for them. 
  • That value is used to suggest players we can sign, the press will also start mentioning those until eventually they are Pearced.
  • Players like Mbappe and Haaland will be continually bought up as potential signings but go somewhere that actually pays transfer fees.
  • Selling Coutinho and buying Virgil and Alisson will be brought up by the "journalists" like Reddy etc. multiple times highlighting our genius.
  • With a few weeks of the window to go Anubis starts the January 2022 Transfer window thread when it becomes clear nothing else is going to happen.
  • The Echo publish approximately seven million articles about our under 10's producing the new Messi and saving us millions.
  • While the above is going on for us, every other team in the league spends way more than us as the Echo and the journalists start alternating their articles between "save us millions", "everyone is fucked by the covid impact" and "we can compete with anyone". 
  • The window slams shut and we are in the situation of having 14 or 15 players who are capable of competing and go into the season praying we are light on injuries as it's the only chance we have of being competitive.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

Summer 2021 will be the same as almost every other year.

  • Probably sign someone very early in the window.
  • People spend most of the window listing our dross/fringe players/permacrocks and values we can get for them. 
  • That value is used to suggest players we can sign, the press will also start mentioning those until eventually they are Pearced.
  • Players like Mbappe and Haaland will be continually bought up as potential signings but go somewhere that actually pays transfer fees.
  • Selling Coutinho and buying Virgil and Alisson will be brought up by the "journalists" like Reddy etc. multiple times highlighting our genius.
  • With a few weeks of the window to go Anubis starts the January 2022 Transfer window thread when it becomes clear nothing else is going to happen.
  • The Echo publish approximately seven million articles about our under 10's producing the new Messi and saving us millions.
  • While the above is going on for us, every other team in the league spends way more than us as the Echo and the journalists start alternating their articles between "save us millions", "everyone is fucked by the covid impact" and "we can compete with anyone". 
  • The window slams shut and we are in the situation of having 14 or 15 players who are capable of competing and go into the season praying we are light on injuries as it's the only chance we have of being competitive.

 

Manbun returning will be like a new signing. And Wilson. And Grujic. 

 

3 new signings. Whoop whoop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Remmie said:

Manbun returning will be like a new signing. And Wilson. And Grujic. 

 

3 new signings. Whoop whoop. 

As it happens , Grujic would have probably got a dozen games this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

North of the river though!

A cold pint of Guinness at the drunken poet would suit me fine. I am convinced Keita will go for closer to £30m. Convinced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Klopp’s comments, he’s hardly going to come out and say we’re going to spunk a fortune in the summer, is he?

 

Firstly, what incentive would that give potentially surplus players to get us into the CL next season? 


Secondly, he’s never been that type of manager. He’s always “make the most of what we currently have”. 
 

Thirdly, that would clearly jack the price up for any signings.

 

I’ve zero idea on how signings this summer for us will go.

 

Obviously it sounds like we’re going to lose another c.£75m over the next year. 
 

However, transfer fee’s are rarely paid in one go and are mostly spread in instalments (although Konaté might be the exception here). If we know income will be increasing again from August, would we be able to base budget on future earnings?

 

We also have the Red Ball deal, which Klopp has previously said will offset the COVID19 losses. 
 

A pure finger in the air guess is...

 

* We’ll sign Konaté shorty after the end of the season.

* We’ll sign another midfielder and forward shortly into the window (I’ll guess at Bissouma and then Raphina with Wilson going to Leeds). 

* Anybody else will be reliant on sales later in the window. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

Summer 2021 will be the same as almost every other year.

  • Probably sign someone very early in the window.
  • People spend most of the window listing our dross/fringe players/permacrocks and values we can get for them. 
  • That value is used to suggest players we can sign, the press will also start mentioning those until eventually they are Pearced.
  • Players like Mbappe and Haaland will be continually bought up as potential signings but go somewhere that actually pays transfer fees.
  • Selling Coutinho and buying Virgil and Alisson will be brought up by the "journalists" like Reddy etc. multiple times highlighting our genius.
  • With a few weeks of the window to go Anubis starts the January 2022 Transfer window thread when it becomes clear nothing else is going to happen.
  • The Echo publish approximately seven million articles about our under 10's producing the new Messi and saving us millions.
  • While the above is going on for us, every other team in the league spends way more than us as the Echo and the journalists start alternating their articles between "save us millions", "everyone is fucked by the covid impact" and "we can compete with anyone". 
  • The window slams shut and we are in the situation of having 14 or 15 players who are capable of competing and go into the season praying we are light on injuries as it's the only chance we have of being competitive.

 

And an article with the vague-ometer on full blast about being committed to building the Anfield road end expansion despite the challenges of Covid.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We bought Elliot so that he would save us millions - so the cynicism to the comments that he will save us millions isn't really the 'gotcha' everyone seems to think it is. Jones and Trent have proved how good players can step up - it is what we all want. We seem to want our youth players to materialise into first team players - without the messy learning shit that goes on beforehand. I can remember when Gerrard was dropped by Ged, and loads of reds saying 'he isn't as good as we thought he was'! 

 

We won't have too much money. It will be dependent upon who we sell. If we manage to sell Wilson, Grujic, Shaq, Origi then we will have a bit more money to spend. If we then manage to sell Ox, Philips, Keita, or Taki - then maybe a bit more. 

 

Nobody will come out and say 'we are skint and need to sell these players to have any hope of buying anyone'. Fans seem to think making it obvious that Wilson isn't going to be a first team player and we are desperate to sell him to raise funds is a good thing. 

 

I'll be amazed if we don't buy at least 4 players in the summer - 2 CBs, a midfielder and a forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Virgil, Gomez and Elliott will be like new signings. Players we have next year we didn't have this year, that is generally how it works. Numbers aren't the problem, it's the spread of the numbers. Too many midfielders, not enough CB's or Strikers. One addition in each spot is all we need to add.

 

If we swapped out Origi and Keita and brought in Konate, Elliott and a new forward that would be fine. Ox, Shaq and the likes are on big boy wages, only big clubs will match that and they aren't good enough to sign for one of those. Gini needs replacing too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, No2 said:

Virgil, Gomez and Elliott will be like new signings. Players we have next year we didn't have this year, that is generally how it works.


Yeah, but why think about stuff when you can continue to make the same hilarious cynical zingers in every thread?

 

Edit - I agree with the rest of your post as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gini's replacements are Thiago and Jones.

 

Forward wise, it's not just that we need one player, it's that we need one exceptional player. Ideally someone who can press like Bobby but is faster and much more clinical. That's big money.

 

Defence wise we'll need more than just Konate unless we want to see Phillips play 30+ games next season. Gomez and Konate are both injury prone and there's no one else except Phillips beyond them, unless you count Davies, which Klopp obviously doesn't. I'd keep Kabak on if we're bringing Konate in.

 

So we're looking at £50m ish on centre backs plus somewhere around that much again on a forward, plus wages, plus signing on fees etc. What's our biggest net spend in a summer under FSG so far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've never spent 'big money' on a forward. We'll buy ala Mo, Firmino and Salah - it will be a £30m player develop. That is our model - it may be Raphina, Mallen, or similar. 

 

I'd like another to play alongside Konate. We could get Zakaria from Borussia - as cover for both Fab and an extra CB. We could do with another Milner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my concern is the age of squad and the fact we are doing next to fuck all to address that. If we are on sell to buy regime then 1 top player needs to go while they are still worth something.

Either that or find some oil rich buyer and be like city.....if you cant beat them join them   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, andyj said:

my concern is the age of squad and the fact we are doing next to fuck all to address that. If we are on sell to buy regime then 1 top player needs to go while they are still worth something.

Either that or find some oil rich buyer and be like city.....if you cant beat them join them   

Jota is 23, Konate is 20, Elliot, Jones are 20 and under. Midfielders we are linked with are all circa 22, same with the forwards. How are we doing next to fuck all exactly? 

 

Sorry to pick you out - you are far from the only one, and far from the worst - but come on! For example - Jota, Elliot and Raphina will be all 24 and under next season. Konate, Kabak and Trent all 21 and under. Same with the middle and that would be this summer. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Konate is on his way. Midfield needs freshening up due to the ages of the skipper, Thiago & Milner. It’s time to offload Ox & Naby. Whatever funds that generates, bring in a fit, creative goal scoring midfielder who actually effects a game. Or bring in a new RB and move Trent into midfield. Bissouma for Gini. And someone clinical up front. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jockey said:

Jota is 23, Konate is 20, Elliot, Jones are 20 and under. Midfielders we are linked with are all circa 22, same with the forwards. How are we doing next to fuck all exactly? 

 

Sorry to pick you out - you are far from the only one, and far from the worst - but come on! For example - Jota, Elliot and Raphina will be all 24 and under next season. Konate, Kabak and Trent all 21 and under. Same with the middle and that would be this summer. 

 


I agree. I’m fed up of reading it as well. The way it’s being made out, the age of our squad is rivalling the Chelsea Pensioners.

 

Come the end of next season, so June 2002, our oldest players are:

 

Hendo - 32

Thiago - 31

VVD, Matip, Firmino, Shaq, Mane, Mo - 30

Alisson - 29

Ox, Fabinho, Robbo - 28


No doubt we need to refresh, but these players are far, far from being thrown on the scrap heap.  
 

If we don’t qualify for the CL next season, I would assume some of the older players would be afforded more rest time. 

 

Players like VVD and Alisson, as long as they don’t have significant injuries later on their career, I think can continue their career like Ramos or Milner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

 

 

 


Well, I for one am shocked. 
 

When asked the question, my mind immediately went that Klopp would have responded with this action...

 

8CF9F270-F282-4204-925E-43404A079BC4.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we beat Bayern a few seasons ago they were written off as old and finished, new boss( not saying we need one) a few new players and others like Mueller finding form and they win everything. Lewandowski is older than any of ours and still doing it. Few new faces, key players back a rest for some and hey presto!

We all know this season through many reasons some self inflicted should be an anomaly not a trend.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×