You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

15 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

We have a few of them, none contribute pick up tens of thousand a week, I would be happy too. Smiling all the way to the bank. Chamberlain, Origi, Keita, Shaqiri et al need shifting ASAP as well as the lads on loan and Matip.

Agreed

Only one i'd keep personally is Shaqiri, but Klopp clearly has no time for him.

Matip is clearly top quality - but is useless to us as he just can't be relied on sadly.

47 minutes ago, an tha said:

Comms yesterday mentioned that Oxlade has not played 90 mins for us for over 3 years.

Our number 1 priority this summer has to be getting rid of him and the other permacrocks that litter our squad taking up big wages and space in our squad and adding nothing/not being able to be relied upon when needed, and meaning we constantly have to flog the same small number of players to death, and bringing in players who can stay fit, contribute when needed and offer us the depth we desperately need and have been found wanting for this season.

I don't argue with this, but we have so many of these types of players, it seem unrealistic they can all go this summer. Couple this with the English quota thing and I would be shocked if chamberlain wasn't here next season. I think out of the players who play very little, I reckon we'll find a way to get rid of origi and Shaq. And maybe (just because of how many CBs we've been linked to), maybe matip too. Chamberlain will be saved because of his nationality and keita will because Gini's going and we won't want to do too much in midfield. Wilson and Grujic surely leave too. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't argue with this, but we have so many of these types of players, it seem unrealistic they can all go this summer. Couple this with the English quota thing and I would be shocked if chamberlain wasn't here next season. I think out of the players who play very little, I reckon we'll find a way to get rid of origi and Shaq. And maybe (just because of how many CBs we've been linked to), maybe matip too. Chamberlain will be saved because of his nationality and keita will because Gini's going and we won't want to do too much in midfield. Wilson and Grujic surely leave too. 

I reckon you are probably right unfortunately.

Likely only way we raise money though to add what we need is finding buyers for the wastes of space.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The English quota shouldn't really factor into the thinking with Chamberlain in my opinion, a squad of 17 foreigners and 7 English players isn't all that different to a squad of 17 foreigners and 8 English players one of which is never available anyway. May as well just not use the squad slot and save the wages. 

2 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

The English quota shouldn't really factor into the thinking with Chamberlain in my opinion, a squad of 17 foreigners and 7 English players isn't all that different to a squad of 17 foreigners and 8 English players one of which is never available anyway. May as well just not use the squad slot and save the wages. 

He's mostly been available since December. It's just because the mess we've been at the back, klopp hasn't wanted to play him. He'd have more than his 200 minutes had we not had a dodgy centre back setup. Same with Kostas. I think chamberlain will stay and play 20-25 games. I'd sell him, but I don't think the club will. 

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He's mostly been available since December. It's just because the mess we've been at the back, klopp hasn't wanted to play him. He'd have more than his 200 minutes had we not had a dodgy centre back setup. Same with Kostas. I think chamberlain will stay and play 20-25 games. I'd sell him, but I don't think the club will. 

I agree that we'll likely keep him.  I just think that the likes of him, Keita and Shaqiri are just a waste of wages for various reasons.

Considering we're supposed to be all about being clever and focussed on value, I struggle to see how all the geniuses involved in saving us millions don't see the wages of these players and how little we use them without thinking they are a bit pricey for what we get out of them.

In an ideal world we'd have two players for every position, but that's not realistic outside of Football Manager of being Man City, but I think we'd be better off with maybe a really strong 18 or 19 players that we could actually rotate rather than the current 20 odd where a load of them are seemingly permanently broken or not trusted to play. 

36 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

I agree that we'll likely keep him.  I just think that the likes of him, Keita and Shaqiri are just a waste of wages for various reasons.

Considering we're supposed to be all about being clever and focussed on value, I struggle to see how all the geniuses involved in saving us millions don't see the wages of these players and how little we use them without thinking they are a bit pricey for what we get out of them.

In an ideal world we'd have two players for every position, but that's not realistic outside of Football Manager of being Man City, but I think we'd be better off with maybe a really strong 18 or 19 players that we could actually rotate rather than the current 20 odd where a load of them are seemingly permanently broken or not trusted to play. 

We seem to just let these players linger till their contract is up. Sturridge, Clyne, lallana are ones that immediately spring to mind. There's probably more I can't remember. Oh there's one, Moreno - any others? I'm guessing when they get to the point we'd like to discard them, to move them on would likely mean we'd need to subsidise their wages. And if we don't get a fee, then we need to also make a loss on their asset value (which would be pretty big on any player in their 1st contract), so I'm sure that has some other accounting knock on effect. It certainly seems to be a policy, so I would be surprised if we suddenly started clearing the decks of players that are pretty valueless in terms of footballing contribution. And it's not just the permie crocks, origi, minamino and Davies you wonder why we bother. 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

The season before was Markovic and Emre Can.

Yeah, fucking hell, markovic. I was going to say "how could I forget", but that kind of speaks for itself.

At least Can played on a regular basis (like Gini) - those two suggest we have a wage limit on players that while they may be pretty good, we don't think they're irreplaceable and again there's some type financial benefit from just letting their contract go than there is from flogging them with a year to go. Fucked if I know what that is, but again it certainly feels it's something we're very comfortable with. I supposed the whole agent costs and things like that probably come into it. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, fucking hell, markovic. I was going to say "how could I forget", but that kind of speaks for itself.

At least Can played on a regular basis (like Gini) - those two suggest we have a wage limit on players that while they may be pretty good, we don't think they're irreplaceable and again there's some type financial benefit from just letting their contract go than there is from flogging them with a year to go. Fucked if I know what that is, but again it certainly feels it's something we're very comfortable with. I supposed the whole agent costs and things like that probably come into it. 

Our strategy is that we either only sell players at the fees we want or they go at the end of their contract. We've rejected bids for Harry Wilson and Origi because the bidders wouldn't pay our asking price. The idea is that it's stops us becoming a soft touch in negotiations and clubs know that we aren't prepared to haggle. It seems to have worked pretty well when you think of the money we got for Ibe, Solanke and Brewster. 

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

Our strategy is that we either only sell players at the fees we want or they go at the end of their contract. We've rejected bids for Harry Wilson and Origi because the bidders wouldn't pay our asking price. The idea is that it's stops us becoming a soft touch in negotiations and clubs know that we aren't prepared to haggle. It seems to have worked pretty well when you think of the money we got for Ibe, Solanke and Brewster. 

Yeah but everyone was moaning when we were regularly getting rinsed by the clubs that used to buy our cast offs cheaply. I mean what's not to like about getting over £20m for the likes of Solanke, Brewster and £15m was it for Ibe?

I think the club may well have accepted lower bids for Wilson, Origi and a few others if they'd seen the covid crisis coming along but to be fair, the market was pretty firm on prices when we stuck to our guns.

3 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Our strategy 

Yea, I think that is the way we hope it comes across. If we have something of value we should protect/get top dollar.

The reality is the guys we are talking about we couldn't give away.

The flip side of "future transfer value" is "Holy shit, we have to feed this donkey for the next 5 years?!"

1 hour ago, Chairman Meow said:

If we weren't acting like we are skint all the time and doing things like that Ben Davies when we have a centre half crisis then wasting hundreds of thousands of pounds a week on wages for players who add fuck all would not be as irritating as it is.

But as we do act like we do then we simply should be absolutely looking at getting more 'bang for our buck' and culling those who take a lot and offer fuck all in return - eating up wages we could put to better use and of course leaving us short when we need them because they are so unreliable.

10 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Depends how you look at it I think. If you want to see origi coming on to change a game, well it's a price worth paying. The same has been true in the past with sturridge and lallana - this season chamberlain. Or we get some injuries and they're not there to step up because they're permie crocks. So sure, it means we get good fees if we only sell when the spreadsheet says yes. But I think the assesment of a good policy goes beyond selling a few players for more than they're worth.