Quantcast
Summer 2021 transfer thread. - Page 65 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
manwiththestick

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's not really straight lines, it's just I usually believe that the transfers that work are the ones where the player is an obvious fit and it's simple to imagine where the player would play and what he adds that the team currently lacks. 

 

Like I said, we have eyes, Raphinha's had a good season, he has talent, but if we have to hypothetically say we'd have to change systems to fit him in, or "I think we'd have a clear plan as to where the goals would be coming from", well, the problem is that this plan's not really clear yet, is it, because Raphinha's a more traditional winger with a not so great scoring record. So right now it's not immediately obvious what Raphinha would do in isolation to fix a goalscoring issue outside of him being a good player.

 

So yeah, if we were to commit to playing more traditional wide players and a #9, he'd make more sense, but from the outside, is there any indication that's what we'll do? No. Therefore, I think the Raphinha rumour is a little weird from that standpoint. Not weird in terms of him not being good or that he's a 24 year old Premier League player at a smaller club, we target loads of those, but from a current stylistic point of view. 

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't believe the only way to make raphina work is to buy a number 9, which seems to be your view. I think we can change the balance of the team so more players share the goalscoring responsibility. We could do that in lots of ways.  We basically now have Salah scoring. We're set up for at least 2 of which ever 3 start to score and the rest will look after itself. This season that's not happened. Perhaps finding goals from more positions is the way to deal with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't believe the only way to make raphina work is to buy a number 9, which seems to be your view. I think we can change the balance of the team so more players share the goalscoring responsibility. We could do that in lots of ways.  We basically now have Salah scoring. We're set up for at least 2 of which ever 3 start to score and the rest will look after itself. This season that's not happened. Perhaps finding goals from more positions is the way to deal with that. 

I think if we used Raphinha like City use Mahrez, it would make sense, but Salah already plays on the right. Then, you could say "play him on the left", but we play with narrow inside forwards so that doesn't really jive. Maybe we could play 4-4-2 with Jota and Salah up front and Raphinha and Mane on the wing, but otherwise it just seems like we'd have to change many things to make a player like him a big part of our tactics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Osimhen is starting to look decent for Napoli. Vlahovic at Fiorentina seems a penalty box striker, if that's what we need. 

 

I watched a couple of videos of Vlahovic this week and he seemed to take two or three touches either fall over or run down a blind alley.  He certainly looks like he knows where the net is but looks a little ungainly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think if we used Raphinha like City use Mahrez, it would make sense, but Salah already plays on the right. Then, you could say "play him on the left", but we play with narrow inside forwards so that doesn't really jive. Maybe we could play 4-4-2 with Jota and Salah up front and Raphinha and Mane on the wing, but otherwise it just seems like we'd have to change many things to make a player like him a big part of our tactics. 

We could easily play 4231 with Salah as the one (backed up by mane) with mane, firmino, Jota, Shaq, chamberlain, minamino, Elliot and raphina fighting over the 3 places behind (perhaps they won't all still be at the club). You could potentially throw Jones into that mix too.

 

Maybe we could play a diamond midfield and allow him to drift between the top and one of the "wide" places. 

 

There's loads of thing we could do. Which is my point. If we sign this lad, he'll cost us the type of money we expect to be a 1st team player. It seems to me you're suggesting if we signed him it would almost be like a Shaq or minamino type signing where you don't know how he'll get his game. I just think if we're paying top dollar, which he would cost, it's because we intend to use him and if that's the case we have a plan. It might be one you or I have mentioned, but it could be something just klopp has figured out none of us can imagine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could do a lot worse than bringing Bamford in. He’s English, a really good footballer; has a lovely touch, he’s quick, holds the ball up really well. Most importantly he’s a proven success in the league.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

We could do a lot worse than bringing Bamford in. He’s English, a really good footballer; has a lovely touch, he’s quick, holds the ball up really well. Most importantly he’s a proven success in the league.

Leeds fans I know think he's shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Carvalho Diablo said:

Leeds fans I know think he's shit.

That’s nonsense. He’s their best player.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a great interview. Gives us an insight into his mindset on the pitch and it’s exactly what we’ve been missing.

 


Memorable quotes:


“I said to Jack, put it in between the centre halfs and I’ll always try and get in between that gap”.

 

“I’m a wingers worst nightmare on the pitch, always shouting to give me every ball”. Shearer agrees.

 

“You kind of know where you are on the pitch, where to hit it, you don’t really have to look at the goal too much”.

 

“He (Jack Harrison) was in a position where there was only one place he could put it across, and I just gambled”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Osimhen is starting to look decent for Napoli. Vlahovic at Fiorentina seems a penalty box striker, if that's what we need. 

 

Napoli signed Osimhen for about 70m.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, aRdja said:

That’s nonsense. He’s their best player.

 

 

He’s a slave to the system. Take Bielsa away and he goes back to mediocrity. He even says he was a bit lazy before Bielsa came along. I like him but he’s Rickie Lambert minus 5 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate articles like that one in the Echo, which attribute something that any club could do (sign a player on a free) as an example of the creative thinking of Edwards and our scouting department. They just list players who could be available without considering whether such a player could be effective in our team or with the physically of the game in this country, and without considering that a free transfer comes with the hefty cost of a massive signing-on fee and bumper contract, even for less-than-elite players. See Milan Jovanovic as a case in point. If he'd joined us for a fee, there is no way he could have commanded the sort of earnings he got from us as a free transfer.

 

When it is heavily publicised that a club won't compete at the very top end of the market, players and especially their agents will take note of this as they'll either see a club that can give them a huge increase in their current salary, or they'll see a club that can't compete for the elite players and be genuine contenders for the biggest prizes.

 

I don't want our club to be portrayed as arrogant greedy bastards like Real Madrid and Barcelona, but I also don't want the club to be seen as Sevilla, hanging on to a Champions League spot and maybe winning a trophy every now and then with players that are cast-offs and 'bargains'. You can have success that way of course, but it is not the most sustainable approach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Vlahovic is 21 and has scored 21 in Serie A this season. That's certainly hard to ignore.

Liverpool-Italian striker-anyone who has played in Italian league (including ince excluding rush) in the same sentence it's a no from me, and I have heard of player.  

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Bissouma has handed in a transfer request. Ourselves and Arsenal reportedly interested.

 

I read Citeh were interested as well earlier in week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if there exists a reality in which we somehow keep Salah and sign Sancho. I reckon we could raise £80m from sales but you’d have to include Firmino and Mane in those sales. He’s fucking electric and him Jota and Salah would be sensational.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Liverpool-Italian striker-anyone who has played in Italian league (including ince excluding rush) in the same sentence it's a no from me, and I have heard of player.  

No Italians 

No Ukrainians

 

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

 

I read Citeh were interested as well earlier in week.

 They may want to buy him to prevent us or another rival from getting him? Money after all, isn’t an issue for them, they’ll spend what it takes to keep the washing process going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Anubis said:

Bissouma has handed in a transfer request. Ourselves and Arsenal reportedly interested.

The transfer request article comes from Duncan Castles. The Brighton guy at the Athletic said it's not true. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

The transfer request article comes from Duncan Castles. The Brighton guy at the Athletic said it's not true. 

 

Why hand in a request now? Wait until the season finishes, otherwise it makes you look like a twat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Talk that Sander Berge has a relegation clause of around £39m , weren't we interested in this lad.


£39m??? That’d be a bigger con job than the one we pulled on them with Brewster.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×