You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Linked to what, a purchase? By whom?

Your previous post may have something to it - like we loan him and pay half his wages something.

Loan apparently. Given his quality I’d hope they pay his wages in full, despite his injury record. 

41 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see squad players like Matip, Keita and Ox get loaned out next season given the usual destinations haven’t got the finances at present to pay their expected transfer fees. 

They all have massive wages so we can pass that on to another club and hope that their performances in the meantime are decent enough to command a good fee twelve months from now. 

We need Michael Edwards to work absolute magic to get decent fees for Origi, Shaqiri, Harry Wilson and Minamino. Pre pandemic we might have been looking at 70m for that lot. We’ll do well to get half that now. 

As for incomings I think we’ll see Kabak, Konate, Bissouma (who is the absolute mustard) and a forward (hopefully one who is fucking ruthless in front of goal like Daka). I also think Harvey Elliott has a decent role to play next season. 

He didn't do it last summer, and now everyone is even worse off. 

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He doesn't really bring anyhting new to the midfield does he? He's definitely an engine and maybe has a little more pace than Wiji - but really a trio of Fab, Henderson and Bissouma probably has less creativity/goal threat from midfield than we have now.

Well unfortunately it seems like we're almost incapable of integrating creative midfielders into our team, so might as well just get those with workrate and physical traits. Also, goals from midfield seem pretty hard to find.

After them reported losses that don't even cover this season I'm not sure we will be doing much business. 

Add on another year where losses will likely be far higher and the signings last summer that we only made small down payments on. 

10 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Well unfortunately it seems like we're almost incapable of integrating creative midfielders into our team, so might as well just get those with workrate and physical traits. Also, goals from midfield seem pretty hard to find.

Yea on these two points. 

I think Lee is right, money will be tight and Bissouma is 45 m at least.

For me adding another midfielder is a little meh.

Cheaper/younger option might be someone like Periera at West Brom - can play across the front three or in the hole.

Despite his age we could do worse than look at Antonio at West Ham as well. Could cover pretty much any position up the right side as well as provide an option upfront.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea on these two points. 

Cheaper/younger option might be someone like Periera at West Brom - can play across the front three or in the hole.

Despite his age we could do worse than look at Antonio at West Ham as well. Could cover pretty much any position up the right side as well as provide an option upfront.

Antonio's hamstrings and made from parts discarded in the making of Matip, Agger and Vegard Heggam

55 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He doesn't really bring anyhting new to the midfield does he? He's definitely an engine and maybe has a little more pace than Wiji - but really a trio of Fab, Henderson and Bissouma probably has less creativity/goal threat from midfield than we have now.

This is where I am with him. 

We need players to open up teams who come to camp on the edge of the box, not another destroyer/controller. 

42 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea on these two points. 

It will depend on the formation. If we change to more of a 2 in midfield then we could go more the #10 route. But I think Bissouma would work well in any situation, tbh. Fabinho, Thiago, Henderson and Bissouma would be good and balanced options for a double pivot. And then Jones and whoever you keep between Keita and Ox gives you a bit of versatility. One of those would have to leave and hopefully we could do that.

Bissouma and a 10 that could also play in the front would be decent. Of course, I'm assuming there's money or that we could sell players.

16 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

This is where I am with him. 

We need players to open up teams who come to camp on the edge of the box, not another destroyer/controller. 

We are going to lose Gini, Henderson is very injury prone and Milner is on his last legs, so we very much need legs in midfield.

47 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It’d be worth it to stop him scoring against us. One of the players I hate facing the most in the league.

Just now, Elite said:

We are going to lose Gini, Henderson is very injury prone and Milner is on his last legs, so we very much need legs in midfield.

40ml is alot of money for legs

And if we can't shift players or Ox stays as we need HG players and Nabby ends up staying we have too many again. 

Don't get me wrong if we could swap(I don't mean a swap with Brighton just place for place and fee) Keita or Ox for him it makes sense. 

Even if we moved to more of a 4231 then you'd assume Fabinho and Thiago would be the anchor more often than not. 

I'd say more firepower and creativity is far more important. Especially as Mane and Salah are disappearing for a month in the bussiest part of the season

Seeing the rumours in the media linking Coutinho with a move to the Ev has me thinking that we could perhaps do worse than bringing him in on loan for next season.

I know it's going over old ground, the way he left, and how he's performed since he left, blah-blah-blah, etc... 

However...

A loan deal makes sense financially for both ourselves and Barcelona. We don't have to fork out a load of money on a transfer fee and/or signing on fee for a creative player that would benefit our squad, meanwhile, Barcelona will receive a reasonable loan fee and we'll eat a chunk of Coutinho's wages.

Coutinho is contracted until June 2023, so next season is going to be a massive season for him in terms of a potential future contract at Barcelona or elsewhere. I would hope that he'd use this as motivation to return somewhere close to his peak form during his initial spell with us.

Historically we've not been known for using the loan market, but it could well be a deal worth exploring in this instance.

2 minutes ago, Dynamite said:

Seeing the rumours in the media linking Coutinho with a move to the Ev has me thinking that we could perhaps do worse than bringing him in on loan for next season.

I know it's going over old ground, the way he left, and how he's performed since he left, blah-blah-blah, etc... 

However...

A loan deal makes sense financially for both ourselves and Barcelona. We don't have to fork out a load of money on a transfer fee and/or signing on fee for a creative player that would benefit our squad, meanwhile, Barcelona will receive a reasonable loan fee and we'll eat a chunk of Coutinho's wages.

Coutinho is contracted until June 2023, so next season is going to be a massive season for him in terms of a potential future contract at Barcelona or elsewhere. I would hope that he'd use this as motivation to return somewhere close to his peak form during his initial spell with us.

Historically we've not been known for using the loan market, but it could well be a deal worth exploring in this instance.

Not sure Barcelona would agree to moving to us if there's other options. Would be a terrible look to loan him back. Though a new chairman in place might mean it's not a issue. 

Just now, Lee909 said:

Not sure Barcelona would agree to moving to us if there's other options. Would be a terrible look to loan him back. Though a new chairman in place might mean it's not a issue. 

With the financial position they are in, I don't think they'll have much choice if he is to be made available for transfer in the summer.

I understand that a transfer fee and offloading his wages will be massively appealing to Barcelona and will be their preference, but much will depend on the player himself - if he doesn't fancy a move to any potential suitors on a permanent deal, then the club likely takes what they can get from a potential loan deal.

I wouldn't imagine the market for Coutinho will be that great, and given the choice between a permanent move to Everton or a loan move back to us, I'd hope Phil would prefer a return to familiar surroundings.

I don't expect us to try and bring Coutinho in - it's just a move that I think makes sense given the current financial circumstances of both clubs and our need for some creativity. I certainly wouldn't be against it.

I want Coutinho back and I don’t even think it would work out. But if it did....

He’d be able to play as a no10 in the four up front or give Mane a kick up the arse on the left cutting in. If the budget is tight we could do a lot worse than bringing in Malen or another young forward for £30ish m and Konate for £35m then Coutinho for a loan fee and Kabak. If anything Kabak will have made us look at the loan market differently.

1 hour ago, Dynamite said:

What about he outstanding signings of Victor Moses, Javier Manquillo and Steven Caulker?