You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

Just now, John102 said:

He has scored 3 goals in the Champions League hasn't he? In the Barcelona and Spurs games. Big games, no doubt, but I think it may be a bit of a stretch to say he has a reputation of scoring goals in Champions league. 

A quick look at Wikipedia shows he has 7 goals in his last 50 league games (granted these will be largely subs) . I'm not sure this reputation thing is going get the results you're after. 

Like I say, clubs dont look at it in so black and white terms as fans do. Oh, he's done nothing this season so he's shit. Oh, he's on fire this season, wouldnt sell him for £40m etc.

There may be the odd club who says 'what's he done last year?' but there will be more that will say what can he do in our team when he isnt marginalised, is the main striker played in his best position etc.

38 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Gini replacement? I've watched them a few times and as much as I'd like to say I've been over and watched him in person, the pandemic shitcanned that trip. What type of midfielder is he?

His role has changed this season - He's playing as a slightly more controlled midfielder than he has in his previous seasons. (To put it in FM21 terms... He's changed from an Advanced Playmaker to a Deep-Lying Playmaker this season).

He's still managed 5 goals and 6 assists in his more controlled role in just 29 league games. 

I like what I've seen of the lad and think he has a big future. He reminds a little of Goretzka in his early days at Schalke in that he hasn't, or hadn't, quite put his stamp on a specific midfield role, until this season. I don't think Neuhaus will develop into the same player as Goretzka, certainly not physically at least. I see him more as a Toni Kroos type player.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

Like I say, clubs dont look at it in so black and white terms as fans do. Oh, he's done nothing this season so he's shit. Oh, he's on fire this season, wouldnt sell him for £40m etc.

There may be the odd club who says 'what's he done last year?' but there will be more that will say what can he do in our team when he isnt marginalised, is the main striker played in his best position etc.

I hope you are right, we will see. I just can't see any club looking at his goal return or looking at him jogging about and thinking that's the man for me. I know we have shifted some young players for good money, but at 26, I think that ship has sailed with Origi. Maybe the fact he has been training at Liverpool for 5 or 6 years will carry a premium. 

5 minutes ago, John102 said:

I hope you are right, we will see. I just can't see any club looking at his goal return or looking at him jogging about and thinking that's the man for me. I know we have shifted some young players for good money, but at 26, I think that ship has sailed with Origi. Maybe the fact he has been training at Liverpool for 5 or 6 years will carry a premium. 

All Im saying, bud, is he's worth more than £10m as suggested, we'd have got £20m+ for him if we had sold him last season and we'll get more than £10m for him now. Plus clubs look at players a different way than fans do.

Providing Klopps committed for the next few seasons, I think he's in need of a rebuild.

This team's done and I don't think a few signings will instantly make us brilliant again, it's going to take a few seasons.

12 minutes ago, Elite said:

Providing Klopps committed for the next few seasons, I think he's in need of a rebuild.

This team's done and I don't think a few signings will instantly make us brilliant again, it's going to take a few seasons.

He should have some leverage after the Super League meltdown, too, if he wants to use it.

4 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

He has a reputation of scoring goals in the Premier League and Champions League. Why do you think no marks like ravel morrison and others go through a dozen clubs and still get offered deals?

Lots of football clubs dont take the fans' view of a player as so black and white. The clubs look at it as a sidelined player who can do the job in their team. Last season we'd have got well over £20m for origi. The club wouldnt have let him go for £10m last season.

No marks like Ravel Morrison don’t get transferred for >£20m though. 

If we’d had been offered >£20m last summer, Origi would have gone. 

I hope you’re right and we get >£20m for him in the summer, but I genuinely don’t see it. 

A hell of a lot work needed.

Permacrocks, dead wood and an overall ageing profile....as well as key players looking done.

Can't see us fixing it all in one summer, just too much to do.

Probably a two summer and a Jan window job.

The big worry is what backing will Klopp have to start the rebuild - especially without the money that Eurooean Cup football brings.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

No marks like Ravel Morrison don’t get transferred for >£20m though. 

If we’d had been offered >£20m last summer, Origi would have gone. 

I hope you’re right and we get >£20m for him in the summer, but I genuinely don’t see it. 

Correct, players like morrision dont sell for £20m but they have clubs signing them despite all the baggage they have. Why? Because clubs think they can get better out of them than the last one.

We got what, £20m for solanke and £25m for brewster. Origi is seen as a fringe player at Liverpool. A few other clubs will not. At £20m on a 4 year contract to another club is a paltry £5m a season in their accounts less wages.

Get a cb, dynamic midfielder and a striker who can link up. A few squad players a few arses kicked and all of the dross sold. Easier said than done but it has to happen. Confidence is low in a lot of players, some don’t look bothered, some are never fit and others are simply not good enough. Swing the fucking axe Jurgen.

Kevin Palmer

April 24 2021 10:30 PM

Liverpool's owners are set to hand manager Jurgen Klopp a timely lift, as they close in on a deals to sign RB Leipzig defender Ibrahima Konate AND on-loan defender Ozan Kabak.

The Sunday World revealed they were targeting Konate last month, with talks now at an advanced stage over a five-year deal for the French centre-back in a deal that will cost £34million.

Sunday World columnist and former Liverpool striker John Aldridge believes the duel defensive swoop is needed, as he believes Joel Matip could be on his way out of Anfield this summer, as he suggested the controversy around Liverpool's decision to sign up and then pull out of the European Super League could work in Klopp's favour.

Sunday World columnist and former Liverpool striker John Aldridge believes the duel defensive swoop is needed, as he believes Joel Matip could be on his way out of Anfield this summer, as he suggested the controversy around Liverpool's decision to sign up and then pull out of the European Super League could work in Klopp's favour.It will be interesting to see whether the owners look to spend some money this summer in a bid to get the fans back on side after the Super League nightmare," Aldo told us.

"It looks like Konate is coming in and they should also sign Kabak. He is 21, has settled well at Anfield and could be a player to develop in the next couple of yearWhen Virgil van Dijk returns, a lot of Liverpool's defensive problems will be solved and Konate and Kabak would be good potential partners for him.

"I'd expect Joel Matip to leave this summer and there might even be interest in Nat Phillips after his effort this season, so Liverpool will need a couple of new defenders."

Liverpool's efforts to attract big name stars this summer will be hit if they are not playing Champions League football next season, with their hopes taking a further hit after Newcastle's late equaliser at Anfield on Saturday, but Aldridge is convinced Klopp will remain in place next season despite his public criticism of the club's decision to sign up for the Super League. I expect plenty of players to be leaving this summer and that will free up cash for new signings," he adds. "Clearly, they badly need a striker as the goals have dried up and that is the biggest problem in the team right now."

The Konate thing is interesting if it happens. It's pure potential. He doesn't look perfect and the injury stuff is always a worry but it's hard not to get hard at the thought that if this guy develops and matures, you've got a 6 foot 4 freak athlete to put next to van Dijk and that would be ridiculous. Honestly, for 30-35m or whatever his clause is, that prospect is too good to turn down. He could also be shit and injured all the time, but I'll ignore that possibility. We'd also have like 6 legit centre backs which is too much. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

We'd also have like 6 legit centre backs which is too much. 

If we sign both Kabak and Konaté I'd say Matip has to go. His wages are fucking ridiculous for his injury record. Wouldn't be shocked if patience is wearing thin with Gomez either. 

Great talent when switch on but always getting injured. 

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

If we sign both Kabak and Konaté I'd say Matip has to go. His wages are fucking ridiculous for his injury record. Wouldn't be shocked if patience is wearing thin with Gomez either. 

Great talent when switch on but always getting injured. 

Gomez will be here for the HG quota. We are quite thin on that front as well.

3 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Gomez will be here for the HG quota. We are quite thin on that front as well.

We need 8 for HG quota from what I read. I didn't mean this summer for Gomez but if he breaks down again I could see the club moving on. 

Kelleher

Gomez

Alexander-Arnold

Henderson

Milner

Jones

So we would be two short 

That's easily covered even with selling Ox and Wilson. Elliot doesn't qualify yet, needs to be with us three years. 

We do need to make sure Greg Dykes plan is fucked off as his HG plans are shite. It's all about more English players given a chance. Thing is it doesn't make them better just lowers the levels of the league with players in squads because they are British. 

On 24/04/2021 at 09:55, El Dangerous said:

I think their could be truth in Leicester being interested in Keita. They’ll have one eye on Tielemans eventual replacement and they’ll know they can get Keita for a half or a third of what they’ll ask for Tielemans. Best case scenario is we get £20m/£25m for Naby, club might look to loan him to boost his value.

Origi would be closer to £20m than £10m I reckon. 

Dunno about 20m for origi, I think that ship has sailed. If we could have got 20m for him last summer he wouldn't be a Liverpool player now. Wasn't there a round of stories about a month ago from the payroll journos that we'd take 12m? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

The Konate thing is interesting if it happens. It's pure potential. He doesn't look perfect and the injury stuff is always a worry but it's hard not to get hard at the thought that if this guy develops and matures, you've got a 6 foot 4 freak athlete to put next to van Dijk and that would be ridiculous. Honestly, for 30-35m or whatever his clause is, that prospect is too good to turn down. He could also be shit and injured all the time, but I'll ignore that possibility. We'd also have like 6 legit centre backs which is too much. 

Van Dijk

Gomez

Konate

Kabak

Phillips

Who's the other one? Davies is obviously shite or he'd have been given a chance at some point.

11 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Van Dijk

Gomez

Konate

Kabak

Phillips

Who's the other one? Davies is obviously shite or he'd have been given a chance at some point.

I’ll give you a clue. When he’s not injured and he’s on his game his defending stirs a rush of blood to my tip.