Jump to content
manwiththestick

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, m0e said:

The problem with that line of thinking is 2 fold.

 

Will he want to sit in the bench for us?

 

Will he be any good if he did?

 

There's a reason Ings isn't at a top club, and that's because the answer to the 2 questions is NO.

 

Giroud left Chelsea because he didn't want to sit on the bench. Same with Tammy Abraham. In fact, there are very few players who would want to sit on the bench that have the necessary quality.

 

There are Liverpool fans, I kid you not, who are now claiming we should have bought that Edouard bum at Palace.

 

It's actually very funny.

Three fold. 

 

He'd cost twice what he's worth and we don't have a huge amount of money to spend. 

 

Sell Origi for 10m, buy Bamford for 50m. Have no money for a proper replacement for Mane in a year or two. Etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, m0e said:

Almost everyone in world football knows they're not getting in to our 1st eleven.

 

Klopp saying things or otherwise.

 

Edit - there's a reason Spurs haven't found a striker willong to join them in 6 years 

Lets not sign anyone at all then eh fuck it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

2 things.

 

I'd like him (if we had signed him) to have had the stomach for the fight to get into the first team. I very much doubt Klopp would sign a player and say "your job is from the bench" he'd say "If you want to start every match, go and prove to me why you should let's see what you've got" 

 

Secondly, we didn't sign him. 

Exactly, remember when we signed Jota and people thought it was about depth. He's proved us wrong on that count, hasn't he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody watch Serie A regularly. 

 

I don't, aside from a few highlights reels. From them, I've noticed that Sassuolo appear to have a few decent looking players. 

 

A young midfielder called Hamed Traore. Looks decent and suited to our system. A bit Wijnaldum like in his busyness and ability to dribble through an opposition press. 

 

Another who has looked decent on the highlights - and is slightly left-field - is the former Chelsea player, Jeremie Boga. He didn't really stand out for Chelsea or during loan spells. But, he was young then and seems to have developed as a player at Sassuolo. He's 24 now and he seems to be on an upward trajectory. His profile reminds me of the likes of Salah, Jota and Mané. He's gradually improved at lower clubs and looks set to make the step up to a bigger club now. I think he's capable of doing a job for a top half Premier League club. But, he could be one of those players for a "cut out the middle man" transfer, getting him cheaper now than 2 or 3 seasons down the line if he did move to a bigger club and continue to improve and be destined for even bigger things. He could play anywhere across the front 3 but would be better in the wide positions. Fast, good dribbler. His stats hint at "end product" bring a possible issue though. 

 

I'm by no means suggesting we rush out and buy these players. They're just players who've looked decent and I was wondering if anybody had seen more of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have I missed something? Do we not still have Mane, Jota and Salah? Did one of them get injured getting onto the bus after the game yesterday or something?

 

@Nelly-Torres
i was a big fan of Boga when he was at Chelsea, saw him destroy our U23s a couple of times. Seen the odd appearance for Sassuolo and he seems a good fit for a backup for us. Not sure how much improving he's likely to do though given his age, i thought he'd be doing a little better than he is by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Have I missed something? Do we not still have Mane, Jota and Salah? Did one of them get injured getting onto the bus after the game yesterday or something?

 

@Nelly-Torres
i was a big fan of Boga when he was at Chelsea, saw him destroy our U23s a couple of times. Seen the odd appearance for Sassuolo and he seems a good fit for a backup for us. Not sure how much improving he's likely to do though given his age, i thought he'd be doing a little better than he is by now.

Agree. Losing Harvey is a big blow, funny when some people were suggesting he wouldnt make a difference to the team, but we've still got Jota, Mo, Sadio and Bobby who, admittedly is out for a few weeks.

 

I dont know what it is with some people, they dont seem to accept injuries is part and parcel of the game. It's like Klopp says, he has 2 or 3 players for each position but as one gets injured, people are saying why didnt you buy another for that position in case one of them got injured? It's like squad size limitations dont occur to some folk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Anybody watch Serie A regularly. 

 

I don't, aside from a few highlights reels. From them, I've noticed that Sassuolo appear to have a few decent looking players. 

 

A young midfielder called Hamed Traore. Looks decent and suited to our system. A bit Wijnaldum like in his busyness and ability to dribble through an opposition press. 

 

Another who has looked decent on the highlights - and is slightly left-field - is the former Chelsea player, Jeremie Boga. He didn't really stand out for Chelsea or during loan spells. But, he was young then and seems to have developed as a player at Sassuolo. He's 24 now and he seems to be on an upward trajectory. His profile reminds me of the likes of Salah, Jota and Mané. He's gradually improved at lower clubs and looks set to make the step up to a bigger club now. I think he's capable of doing a job for a top half Premier League club. But, he could be one of those players for a "cut out the middle man" transfer, getting him cheaper now than 2 or 3 seasons down the line if he did move to a bigger club and continue to improve and be destined for even bigger things. He could play anywhere across the front 3 but would be better in the wide positions. Fast, good dribbler. His stats hint at "end product" bring a possible issue though. 

 

I'm by no means suggesting we rush out and buy these players. They're just players who've looked decent and I was wondering if anybody had seen more of them. 

I like Berardi 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, m0e said:

Almost everyone in world football knows they're not getting in to our 1st eleven.

 

Klopp saying things or otherwise.

 

Edit - there's a reason Spurs haven't found a striker willong to join them in 6 years 

One of the big reasons is that they pay peanuts, if they want a quality back up cant be paying him in pannini stickers from the 80's, even if you give them a badge a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's definitely players who can challenge to get into the front three. Firmino has been iffy over over last couple of seasons and Mane hasn't been the same for a while(still scoring though). Jota has come in and down really well. Ox is terrible up front, Minamino has it all to prove and the less said about Origi the better. 

 

I have a feeling that we've seen the best of Bobby so it would be interesting if we went out and got a forward who would score more goals. Not sure if this would impact of the goalscoring of Mo and Sadio though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, m0e said:

Almost everyone in world football knows they're not getting in to our 1st eleven.

 

Klopp saying things or otherwise.

 

Edit - there's a reason Spurs haven't found a striker willong to join them in 6 years 

 

You say this but the drop off in form of Mane and Firmino is going to provide an opening. Jota has argubably made a good case to move ahead of one of them based on the last 12 months. 

 

Allegedly Patson Daka was on our shortlist, however we had to wait until we'd sold either Shaqiri or Origi before signing him and we missed out. Daka is up against Vardy and Iheanacho and others at Leicester and yet he was happy to join them. It's frustrating that we seemingly couldn't afford the 23 million or so it would have cost to bring him here.

 

United have added Ronaldo, Cavani and Sancho in the last 12 months to Rashford, Greenwood and Martial. We could and should have added another attacker this summer, particularly once Shaqiri went. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Street Preacher said:

 I have a feeling that we've seen the best of Bobby so it would be interesting if we went out and got a forward who would score more goals. Not sure if this would impact of the goalscoring of Mo and Sadio though. 

 

That is a big part of the problem, trying to find an attacker that can play the role that Firmno does for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, an tha said:

He's definitely overachieved...i can't see many managers who could have got a league title and a european cup out of what he has and i very much doubt there is another manager who could have steered us into top 4 last season faced with what he was faced with.

 

What he is able to leave for his successor of course remains to be seen, we should be looking to build for long term success and create a long term legacy, something of course in our glory years we were the best at and did with understated, sensible succession planning and continuity....

 

Once we fell off our perch and started scrambling to get back on it, we became terrible at planning and every time we looked like we were 'back' we seemed to then lose plot and then have to start again then rinse and repeat.....the fear is we will sleep walk into that mistake again.

Klopp is the absolute stand out appointment during FSG's tenure. Their managerial appointments have been far from great other than Klopp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Klopp is the absolute stand out appointment during FSG's tenure. Their managerial appointments have been far from great other than Klopp. 

Harsh on Rodgers, he nearly won the league. He's still a very good manager. It all went tits up like but for a season it was superb and if we had pulled it off it would be seen as a masterstroke. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Klopp is the absolute stand out appointment during FSG's tenure. Their managerial appointments have been far from great other than Klopp. 

FSG have only appointed 3 managers. Everyone to almost a man wanted the King to replace owl chops who, wasnt their appointment. When they sacked Kenny, they wanted Klopp but he wouldnt leave Dortmund. They appointed Rodgers. They sacked him after going very close to a first title in 26 or so years and finally landed Klopp.

 

Kenny's tenure ended when results plummeted. Rodgers was sacked when results plummeted. In truth, I cant say FSG's managerial appointments have been far from great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Origi situation is grim.

 

We simply should not have a senior squad forward at the club who Klopp has so little faith in that he won't even name him on the bench when we have no other forward on it.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've got to assume Elliot is out for the season and AFCON will go ahead for the money. January / February is going to be fucking grim. You can be sure we won't be in the market for anyone when it opens either

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

 

You say this but the drop off in form of Mane and Firmino is going to provide an opening. Jota has argubably made a good case to move ahead of one of them based on the last 12 months. 

 

Allegedly Patson Daka was on our shortlist, however we had to wait until we'd sold either Shaqiri or Origi before signing him and we missed out. Daka is up against Vardy and Iheanacho and others at Leicester and yet he was happy to join them. It's frustrating that we seemingly couldn't afford the 23 million or so it would have cost to bring him here.

 

United have added Ronaldo, Cavani and Sancho in the last 12 months to Rashford, Greenwood and Martial. We could and should have added another attacker this summer, particularly once Shaqiri went. 

 

Maybe we're a bit sceptical of buying from Salzburg after Minamino. His lack of success after moving the Premier League might have caused some formula adjustments on Michael Edwards' spreadsheets.

 

Or maybe FSG are tight cunts.

 

Personally, and this is in no way based on half-arsed perusals of fbref.com and shit YouTube compilations*, I am ALL IN on Amine Gouiri and Terem Moffi. @3 Stacks what do you reckon, two-thirds of the next front three right there?

 

*it absolutely is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

 

Maybe we're a bit sceptical of buying from Salzburg after Minamino. His lack of success after moving the Premier League might have caused some formula adjustments on Michael Edwards' spreadsheets.

 

Or maybe FSG are tight cunts.

 

Personally, and this is in no way based on half-arsed perusals of fbref.com and shit YouTube compilations*, I am ALL IN on Amine Gouiri and Terem Moffi. @3 Stacks what do you reckon, two-thirds of the next front three right there?

 

*it absolutely is

Gouiri is very talented and the versatile type of attacker we go for but I'd be worried about physicality and intensity with him for now. Galtier is the perfect coach for him to see him progress on that side of things, though. He could become very good. 

 

Moffi is pretty raw but he looks pretty good and to be a good goalscorer in Ligue 1 at his age, you need to be really strong.. I doubt we'd look at him at Lorient. We'd likely wait for him to make a move somewhere else first and see how big a step he can make. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only seen him play one match but I'm all in on Vlahovic. Big bastard that scores goals. Not sure how it would work with Mane/Jota and Salah either side of him and whether he can press enough etc but he continues to get goals and seems physically imposing. 

 

Would brining someone in like that impinge of Mo's goal output or is there a way to tinker with the system without fucking everything up? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm presuming Mo's going next summer unless he signs that contract so we could see a total system shake-up at that point. Jota is pretty similar to Mane and Salah, but he's not as good as Salah or peak Mane, so I doubt he'd be the focal point in The Front Three v2.0 like Salah is now. We could see some more conventional kind of forwards + wingers brought in, depends on who's gonna be available and if Mo signs that contract.

 

I don't think we'd go for a big penalty box striker if Mo's sticking around, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, an tha said:

The Origi situation is grim.

 

We simply should not have a senior squad forward at the club who Klopp has so little faith in that he won't even name him on the bench when we have no other forward on it.

 

 

Or would rather name 2 goalkeepers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×