You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

53 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Does anybody subscribe to The Anfield Wrap? I see they've a podcast with Rory Smith on transfers. He's normally reasonably accurate.

Smith has been pushing Konate to us for a while. I saw some news this week Konate might be available for £22m (release clause is c.£40m) so be interested to hear what he says.

Also noticed, I think Pearce, saying we want a new defender (no shit!) and Klopp is confident of being able to strengthen our forward line in the summer.

IMO, I'd like a quality replacement for Wijnaldum as well, but I suppose if HendoHendo, Fabinho, Thiago, Jones, Keita & Ox are our options, that might be seen as sufficient. 

Going into a season with 1 back up midfielder is not a good idea.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

Does anybody subscribe to The Anfield Wrap? I see they've a podcast with Rory Smith on transfers. He's normally reasonably accurate.

Smith has been pushing Konate to us for a while. I saw some news this week Konate might be available for £22m (release clause is c.£40m) so be interested to hear what he says.

Also noticed, I think Pearce, saying we want a new defender (no shit!) and Klopp is confident of being able to strengthen our forward line in the summer.

IMO, I'd like a quality replacement for Wijnaldum as well, but I suppose if Hendo, Fabinho, Thiago, Jones, Keita & Ox are our options, that might be seen as sufficient. 

I watched a video with Pearce and David Ornstein earlier today and they discussed the need for a new attacker. 

They mentioned that we are unlikely to be able to finance an Mbappe or Haaland! No surprises there.

The names mentioned were Amine Gouiri, Jonathan David, Andre Silva and Darwin Nunez. They mentioned how we are unlikely to generate much money from our unwanted squad players also. 

Just now, MegadriveMan said:

I watched a video with Pearce and David Ornstein earlier today and they discussed the need for a new attacker. 

They mentioned that we are unlikely to be able to finance an Mbappe or Haaland! No surprises there.

The names mentioned were Amine Gouiri, Jonathan David, Andre Silva and Darwin Nunez. They mentioned how we are unlikely to generate much money from our unwanted squad players also. 

Never heard of any of those players! 

8 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

But I also do agree we’re unlikely to generate the type of funds we want. 

Wilson, Ox, Grujic, Keita, Shaq, Woodburn, Origi, Minamino, Karius... I know all of those won’t go but I’ll guess Ox, Keita & Shaq stay and the rest get us £40m max. 

Alrhough saying that, £40m could be Kabak and Konaté? Who knows after that. 

11 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I just did an extensive Wikipedia scout of those 4 players. They’re all short on goals, all but Andre Silva are short arses and the only one I can wholeheartedly recommend is Jonathan David as he shares my birthday and he has make hairdressers name. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

That list of players is a bit second rate, but if we aren't selling anyone that's not so bad as we'd only need to get younger.

Silva and Nunez I've never really seen, but Silva is having a nice goalscoring season. I know he's a classic #9.

Gouiri and David, I've seen quite a bit. David, I wish he was better because he's  Canadian and I'd gas him up if he was really good, but to me he lacks top level talent. He's decent technically, decently strong and decently quick but unless there's more development coming out of him, he might not be good enough.

Gouiri is really talented. Technically gifted, can dribble, can score from outside and inside the box, plays on the left or up front. Nice are crap and he does everything good offensively for them. I think he's a very interesting player. The question with him would be the mental and physical part of it. If he has the desire to succeed at a big club and if he wants to do the running required. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

But I also do agree we’re unlikely to generate the type of funds we want. 

Wilson, Ox, Grujic, Keita, Shaq, Woodburn, Origi, Minamino, Karius... I know all of those won’t go but I’ll guess Ox, Keita & Shaq stay and the rest get us £40m max. 

Alrhough saying that, £40m could be Kabak and Konaté? Who knows after that. 

Unless there's a miraculous influx of money in the summer or some clubs are prepared to chance overspending, I dont think any first teamer is going cheap. The club will probably listen to offers for those who definitely want regualr game time elsewhere.

Out of your list, I dont see anyone paying what we'd want for Naby (40m+?) and I cannot see Ox going unless he wants to because he maintains the PL & UEFA home grown quota.

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Out of your list, I dont see anyone paying what we'd want for Naby (40m+?) and I cannot see Ox going unless he wants to because he maintains the PL & UEFA home grown quota.

Yeah - I can see Ox & Keita staying.

The rest have offered nothing this season. Ox & Keita haven’t offered much themselves. 

1 hour ago, El Dangerous said:

I just did an extensive Wikipedia scout of those 4 players. They’re all short on goals, all but Andre Silva are short arses and the only one I can wholeheartedly recommend is Jonathan David as he shares my birthday and he has make hairdressers name. 

He also does the alternate shift on the buses for Nunavut Patrick

A defender costing £20m and earning £60k p/w over a 4 year contract would amount to around £32.5m so if you spread that over 4 years as wages for Alaba then it’s just shy of £300k a week. Sounds realistic when you consider that we could throw an offer like that to Alaba for the price of Kabak but the agents fee’s and signing on fee would be astronomical plus I don’t imagine Real would be shy to offer that deal. That’s definitely best case scenario though in terms of who we could sign at defence. Virgil and Alaba would make a fine pair.

7 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

A defender costing £20m and earning £60k p/w over a 4 year contract would amount to around £32.5m so if you spread that over 4 years as wages for Alaba then it’s just shy of £300k a week. Sounds realistic when you consider that we could throw an offer like that to Alaba for the price of Kabak but the agents fee’s and signing on fee would be astronomical plus I don’t imagine Real would be shy to offer that deal. That’s definitely best case scenario though in terms of who we could sign at defence. Virgil and Alaba would make a fine pair.

Pay Alaba £300k and you leave the likes of Salah, VVD, Sadio etc holding their dicks going what the fuck are we worth? Really don't see us paying those sort of wages unless we got Mbappe or Haaland, which are also not going to happen. 

Just now, Doctor Troy said:

Been linked with that Patson Daka a few times, scores loads for Salzburg and probably has a low release clause. 

Plus he's Zambian. I got pissed in Zambia then staggered back over the bridge to Zimbabwe and carried on there so for that reason I want us to sign him. 

Be great during the ACON when we cannot field a team

15 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

Ornstien and Pearce need to be checking their sources. Mbappe is a slam dunk, LeBron will make it so. And one of the Williams sisters and drake will do a big Nike advertising campaign, netting us hundreds of millions in shirt sales. 

14 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Get what your saying there but Mane from

Southampton or Jota from Wolves were hardly on the names on everybody’s lips either. 

Jota had even lost his place in the wolves side! This is really my argument all the time when people say "it's just impossible to improve our team". It really isn't. There's thousands of players playing football and they're mostly fucking brilliant at footy and what restricts them often is being in the right place at the right time. Jota looks like he could go on to be a top player for us, but without covid, who knows we may not have bought him as we'd have maybe taken Sarr or someone else. Then who knows what could have happened to Jota had he gone stale at wolves? Its often just luck on the side of the player to where they get to and the levels they reach - talent comes into it, but nearly all of them have that. For the club, it's all about good scouting, good research and getting the manager onboard with the player. 

12 hours ago, Remmie said:

Pay Alaba £300k and you leave the likes of Salah, VVD, Sadio etc holding their dicks going what the fuck are we worth? Really don't see us paying those sort of wages unless we got Mbappe or Haaland, which are also not going to happen. 

Spot on. No fucking chance we're paying 300k per week for him while at the same time being unable to find a number to keep Gini. I would feel our objective will be to bring in players on Jota style wages and career trajectory than the Thiago end. I think Thiago was very much an outlier for us and I don't think because we've done that deal makes more of that type of deal likely. In fact quite the opposite. 

I don’t expect us to sign Alaba but say £300k per week, £15.6m a season, for 3 seasons is £46.8m. 

I’d assume the £300k per week would include his signing on fee spread over his contract and parts of the salary would be heavily incentivised.

Probably not far off what we’d be paying for Konaté (realise clause £40m) with minimal up front costs. 

Alaba could also play in midfield and provid cover at centre back and replace Wijnaldum in one move.

Although little “resale value” (hate that term) in Alaba either. 

Again, I’m only thinking out loud & playing devils advocate!