manwiththestick

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

According to Eurosport, we are (again) looking at Sander Berge as a possible replacement for Gini. While I don't want to lose Gini, Berge is a pretty good player, and would give us some much needed height (1.95m) in our team. He's surprisingly mobile for such a tall guy, and covers a lot of ground, deceptively quick too. Wouldn't mind him at all, and I'm normally very sceptical to us signing Norwegians!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, sir roger said:

From memory he used the ' pay for passports ' scam in Malta  to get an EU passport but obviously this is not any good now for UK purposes anymore.

he certainly took an Israeli passport then i think tried to get some type of permanent UK stay visa and was fucked off. he was then supposed to be trying to get a UK passport, but i think was blown out right away.   

On one hand when I read the words Wijnaldum replacement I am wanting proven top class from the continent but I suppose Gini himself came from a relegated Newcastle side. 

Not seeing that many midfielders linked

6 hours ago, Remmie said:

On one hand when I read the words Wijnaldum replacement I am wanting proven top class from the continent but I suppose Gini himself came from a relegated Newcastle side. 

Gini's replacement should be Gini. Just pay the man already. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, El Rojo said:

I like the look of him too. Not sure he’s different enough to Jones though, who seems at least as talented. 

We’re oversubscribed in midfield anyway, though Milner’s 35 and the post-injury Ox and regular Keita are utterly ineffectual. I reckon we’ll stubbornly persist with Keita for another season, though I’d be shocked at this stage if he breaks out of the injured/anonymous/modestly decent cycle. 

He’s been an out and out winger for years now with a lot more pace than Jones.  He had a pretty good season a few years ago where he created more chances than any other player in the league if I remember correctly.  He’s that rare commodity of a left footed player on the left side beating his man and putting crosses in. It’s ideal for Burnley because they play with meatheads up front.  He’s been off the boil for a while now though although he’s played well for against Everton and got a really good goal.

I don’t see how he fits into a 433 here or even a 442 unless we significantly change our game plan.  He’s not a midfielder and couldn’t what Jones does/will do.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Gini's replacement should be Gini. Just pay the man already. 

Absolutely no argument with that whatsoever, just a heavy dose of pessimism about it happening. 

It seemed he had his heart on a move to Barce and I had no problem with that, it’s his contract and he’s been a good servant but the noise that he wants to stay but the club won’t make it happen is extremely bitter for me. On one hand we need an injection of youth but he’s the last midfielder I’d sacrifice for youth. I said it at the start of the season and I’ll stand by it, over the next three years he’ll play more games than Hendo, Milner, Keita and Ox. Those last three combined probably.

In American sports it's totally normal for players to finish the season without a contract extension and still come back to the same team in the off-season but I understand that's not typically how it's done in football and FSG have been around long enough to know that which makes me think he's off barring a club favorable contract. I want us to keep Gini but I hope we shift Ox off and I think Milner's on his last legs as well as anything but emergency cover, at least at this level. For me even if we keep Keita and Gini there's room for another midfielder especially given the latter's injury record.

The issue is that I think it's clear we should be looking for a central forward and that's likely to cost quite a bit so it seems silly to necessitate a new midfield signing whilst having that also on the cards.

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

I'm sure there won't be much difference in what Haaland brings to the table.

Has Haaland ever scored in the Champions League semis and Final

Has he? 

I rest my case. 

Straight swap

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Has Haaland ever scored in the Champions League semis and Final

Has he? 

I rest my case. 

Straight swap

He hasn't made a fool out of Jordan Pickford, either, which is shocking for any striker in this day and age... 

8 hours ago, sir roger said:

Dortmund allegedly looking at Origi for about £12m , I'm sure there won't be much difference in what Haaland brings to the table.

Dortmund looking to show their fans what it was like when we sold Suarez and replaced him with Borini/Balotelli.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

On 17/03/2021 at 10:11, Remmie said:

Berge, Neuhaus, Aouar, Bissouma, Anguissa, Barella, Zakaria, De Paul, Rice. Whether we are interested is one thing but loads have been linked recently mate.

43 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Berge, Neuhaus, Aouar, Bissouma, Anguissa, Barella, Zakaria, De Paul, Rice. Whether we are interested is one thing but loads have been linked recently mate.

Blimey I've only heard of us being linked with a couple of those! 

10 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

We should buy Kessie from AC Milan to replace Gini. He looks like an absolutely brilliant player

Yeah, he looks very complete. Physical, chips in with some goals. He should be an obvious name to look at. 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, he looks very complete. Physical, chips in with some goals. He should be an obvious name to look at. 

Whilst a good player, the majority of Kessie's goals come from the penalty spot. 9 out of 10 of his goals this season have been from the spot. He's also missed 1 penalty this season too. (Milan have had 16 penalties in Serie A this season so far - 16 penalties in 27 league games is fucking bonkers!).

4 goals in all competitions last season, and 2 of those were penalties.